Coming Off Throttle, Bike Stalls? - ZX6R Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
TheSloMoShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 202

I Ride: 04 ZX6R & 04 R1
Coming Off Throttle, Bike Stalls?

Hello everyone,

I've just recently rebuilt my bike and had a hell of a great time getting to ride it around the past few weekends but I keep running into a problem every now and then.

It first happened the day put it back together...when I shifted down into first to go around a tight corner I had let off the throttle. I was just getting ready to get back on the throttle when the bike suddenly stalled. Electronics still worked fine, no error codes. But I watched the RPMs literally die down to zero.

I started her back up and took off, didn't happen again for a few days. The second time it happened, I adjusted the idle (raised it to 1.5k) and everything was kosher for a good week or so.

Then just the other day, I was on a country road and needed to fix something on my left glove. So I pulled over and coasted in 4th with the clutch pulled in at about 50 mph and quickly fixed my glove. Before I could get back on the throttle, it stalled again. I still had the clutch pulled in, so I came to a complete stop and started it back up and took off. It happened once more later that day, coming to a stop light in first gear.

Its been a few days since the last occurrence, and it doesn't happen all that often but ot does worry me. I just adjusted the valves, replaced plugs, ran a compression test and cleaned the TBs. (Didn't do a TB sync, but I would think my bike would have idling problems ALL the time if this was the problem)

My first thought was maybe, in putting the TBs back on the head, I somehow forced the butterfly's close. But it idles fine, it only stalls when letting off throttle and coming to a stop?

Anyone else experienced this?

Dunlop Q3's / EK 520 / Vortex Sprockets / HEL Braided Rear & Front Lines / EBC HH Pads
EBC SRC Clutch Kit / Racetech 1.0Kg Springs / K&N Filter / DanMoto GP Style Exhaust / APE CCT
TheSloMoShow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Squid
 
Iantee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orange County
Posts: 57

I Ride: 14 zx6r
I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago. It would happen about 2x a day

I would be slowing down to a stoplight and right when I shifted down the power would just die.

But my problem was fixed when I just adjusting the idle speed to 2k. So I'm wondering since you tried that, what else it could be

Instinct makes us run from predators, and there's nothing more predatory than a man with a badge, uniform and a gun. A bike can do things a car cannot, which is why people in cars think bikers are insane...Some car drivers will swerve into a biker because the biker is like a bird, free to go, not subject to the traffic jams or slow moving cars.
If you leave bikers alone, they will be gone in seconds, if you try to F with us, we will F back. THINK BIKE, NOT CAGE 
Iantee is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 01:43 PM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 484

I Ride: 2004 ZX6RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSloMoShow View Post
Hello everyone,

I've just recently rebuilt my bike and had a hell of a great time getting to ride it around the past few weekends but I keep running into a problem every now and then.

It first happened the day put it back together...when I shifted down into first to go around a tight corner I had let off the throttle. I was just getting ready to get back on the throttle when the bike suddenly stalled. Electronics still worked fine, no error codes. But I watched the RPMs literally die down to zero.

I started her back up and took off, didn't happen again for a few days. The second time it happened, I adjusted the idle (raised it to 1.5k) and everything was kosher for a good week or so.

Then just the other day, I was on a country road and needed to fix something on my left glove. So I pulled over and coasted in 4th with the clutch pulled in at about 50 mph and quickly fixed my glove. Before I could get back on the throttle, it stalled again. I still had the clutch pulled in, so I came to a complete stop and started it back up and took off. It happened once more later that day, coming to a stop light in first gear.

Its been a few days since the last occurrence, and it doesn't happen all that often but ot does worry me. I just adjusted the valves, replaced plugs, ran a compression test and cleaned the TBs. (Didn't do a TB sync, but I would think my bike would have idling problems ALL the time if this was the problem)

My first thought was maybe, in putting the TBs back on the head, I somehow forced the butterfly's close. But it idles fine, it only stalls when letting off throttle and coming to a stop?

Anyone else experienced this?
Two quick questions before I go into something detailed (I'm lazy at the moment).

How long have you had the bike?
How many times have you made valve adjustments before?
Steel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 01:54 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
oKayH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 4,143

I Ride: 09 ZX6R track, CRF150R stupidmoto
Could be a TB sync issue.
Bennett636 likes this.

CCS EX
More gas, less brake
oKayH is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Bennett636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The woods, Florida
Posts: 1,041

I Ride: 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by oKayH View Post
Could be a TB sync issue.

Was about to say the same thing

Wrecked/Sold: 2005 Kawasaki zx-6r 636, 15k mi, k&n air filter, muzzy titanium slip-on, jumper mod, servo eliminator, core moto trans blue SS brake lines, michelin pilot power 2ct front and back, gloss black powder coated rear sets.

The new: 2005 zx-6r 636, Magma Red, 21k mi, full muzzys exhaust, PCIII, k&n air filter, laggy a servo eliminator, jumper mod, core moto trans red brake lines, gloss black powder coated rear sets.
Bennett636 is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
TheSloMoShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 202

I Ride: 04 ZX6R & 04 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel View Post
Two quick questions before I go into something detailed (I'm lazy at the moment).

How long have you had the bike?
How many times have you made valve adjustments before?
I've had the bike since mid June.

I've only ever made valve adjustments to my R1(once). Since I just got this Zx6R in June, this is obviously the first valve adjustment I've done on it.

Dunlop Q3's / EK 520 / Vortex Sprockets / HEL Braided Rear & Front Lines / EBC HH Pads
EBC SRC Clutch Kit / Racetech 1.0Kg Springs / K&N Filter / DanMoto GP Style Exhaust / APE CCT
TheSloMoShow is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
TheSloMoShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 202

I Ride: 04 ZX6R & 04 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett636 View Post
Was about to say the same thing
That's my first guess...seems odd that this only happens when coming off the throttle completely and it doesn't occur every time either.

Something else that might be worth mentioning--- the female end of my cam position sensor has been somewhat crushed. It still fits on the male end just fine, but I had to use rtv silicone to seal the outside together. No FI lights or error codes have ever popped up.

Dunlop Q3's / EK 520 / Vortex Sprockets / HEL Braided Rear & Front Lines / EBC HH Pads
EBC SRC Clutch Kit / Racetech 1.0Kg Springs / K&N Filter / DanMoto GP Style Exhaust / APE CCT
TheSloMoShow is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
TheSloMoShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 202

I Ride: 04 ZX6R & 04 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iantee View Post
I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago. It would happen about 2x a day

I would be slowing down to a stoplight and right when I shifted down the power would just die.

But my problem was fixed when I just adjusting the idle speed to 2k. So I'm wondering since you tried that, what else it could be
I've never had it above 2k---my thought was that if my bike has to idle at that speed, then there is something much bigger I need to worry about.

I.e., I prob should have multi-quoted these last 3 responses lol.

Dunlop Q3's / EK 520 / Vortex Sprockets / HEL Braided Rear & Front Lines / EBC HH Pads
EBC SRC Clutch Kit / Racetech 1.0Kg Springs / K&N Filter / DanMoto GP Style Exhaust / APE CCT
TheSloMoShow is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Texas636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 900

I Ride: 2007 V-Star 1300, 2014 ZX-6R, 1986 Yamaha YZ250 (bored & stroked - 2 stroke)
Have a Power Commander or a Bazzaz, Tune, etc...?

2014 ZX-6R 636: M4 Street Slayer Exhaust, FlashTune Bike Tuning Kit, Bazzaz Z-Fi, Z-AFM, MJS Headers, K&N Race Air Filter, RaceTech Gold Valve Fork Kit w/ Bottom & Top-Out Mod, reshimmed & RT Fork Springs, RaceTech Gold Valve Shock w/ Refreshed internals & RT Powdercoated Lime Green Spring, D.I.D Gold Chain, Vortex -1 front sprocket, PMP Sprockets Anodized Green +2 rear aluminum sprocket (-1/+2), GPVR4, Fender Eliminator Kit, MotoDynamics Smoked Integrated LED Taillight, '13 Lower Green Fairings, R6 Throttle Tube, Pro Grip Padded Tank Pad, Stomp Grip Clear Tank Pads, Pazzo IFX Candy Green Shorty Levers, Raskal Graffiks Wheel Decals, Puig Double Bubble Dark Smoke Windscreen, Driven Block-Off Plates, Driven Gold Spools, Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 Bi-Xenon Projectors, Morimoto 5Five 50w 6000k HID's, (6) Morimoto XC RGB Angel Eyes, Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's, etc...
Texas636 is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
TheSloMoShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 202

I Ride: 04 ZX6R & 04 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas636 View Post
Have a Power Commander or a Bazzaz, Tune, etc...?
Negative. All stock fuel map.

Dunlop Q3's / EK 520 / Vortex Sprockets / HEL Braided Rear & Front Lines / EBC HH Pads
EBC SRC Clutch Kit / Racetech 1.0Kg Springs / K&N Filter / DanMoto GP Style Exhaust / APE CCT
TheSloMoShow is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 08-27-2014, 03:06 AM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 398

I Ride: 06 ZX6R, 93RGV250


Check your fuel pump
Hilters Cat is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 08-27-2014, 04:41 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 11,671

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Also, look at the inside of your fuel tank and see whether it is free of rust..... you could be clogging your fuel delivery at some point. What does your filter look like?
RJ2112 is online now  
post #13 of 21 Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 484

I Ride: 2004 ZX6RR
Ugh, this isn't ever an easy thing to diagnose. The issue that you're having is a secondary effect, and it could be caused by about a dozen things.

But before I start giving you things to go check, here is what I believe is happening. The main symptom of the problem is a poor air/fuel ratio at lower rpm (and possible throughout the whole range). It isn't necessarily going to be bad enough to notice while idling without moving, but, as you are riding and let off the throttle, the rapid air pressure change in the intake box makes the air/fuel ratio go so far from ideal that it doesn't make enough power to keep the engine running. By increasing your idle speed, it just means that when you let off the throttle again while moving, the engine still generates enough power to continue running; however, there isn't correcting the main problem, just treating the apparent symptoms.

Anyhow. As already said a few times, you should check that your throttle bodies are sync'd.
Beyond that, I'd force the subthrottle to stay open and make sure that isn't an issue. Check that your inlet air temp sensor is reading properly, IIRC it is an RTD so you'll just need an ohm meter and another temp probe that you trust. Same thing with the inlet air pressure and atmospheric pressure sensors.
And then....fuel pressure could be bad, either because the pressure regulator, fuel filter, or the pump itself is having issues.
Steel is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
TheSloMoShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 202

I Ride: 04 ZX6R & 04 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel View Post
Ugh, this isn't ever an easy thing to diagnose. The issue that you're having is a secondary effect, and it could be caused by about a dozen things.

But before I start giving you things to go check, here is what I believe is happening. The main symptom of the problem is a poor air/fuel ratio at lower rpm (and possible throughout the whole range). It isn't necessarily going to be bad enough to notice while idling without moving, but, as you are riding and let off the throttle, the rapid air pressure change in the intake box makes the air/fuel ratio go so far from ideal that it doesn't make enough power to keep the engine running. By increasing your idle speed, it just means that when you let off the throttle again while moving, the engine still generates enough power to continue running; however, there isn't correcting the main problem, just treating the apparent symptoms.

Anyhow. As already said a few times, you should check that your throttle bodies are sync'd.
Beyond that, I'd force the subthrottle to stay open and make sure that isn't an issue. Check that your inlet air temp sensor is reading properly, IIRC it is an RTD so you'll just need an ohm meter and another temp probe that you trust. Same thing with the inlet air pressure and atmospheric pressure sensors.
And then....fuel pressure could be bad, either because the pressure regulator, fuel filter, or the pump itself is having issues.
I'll take a look at these this weekend-- hopefully one of these issues is the true culprit. Thanks again.

Dunlop Q3's / EK 520 / Vortex Sprockets / HEL Braided Rear & Front Lines / EBC HH Pads
EBC SRC Clutch Kit / Racetech 1.0Kg Springs / K&N Filter / DanMoto GP Style Exhaust / APE CCT
TheSloMoShow is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 08-28-2014, 06:57 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Somerset, UK
Posts: 4

I Ride: 2004 ZX6R
Dont know if it helps, but my B2H was in the shop for 4 weeks trying to diagnose a problem where it stalled off throttle and wouldn't start again immediately. Sometimes did sometimes didn't.

After working through everything they found that the cable loom on the right hand side below the tank (and feeding the throttle position sensor) was shorting to the frame intermittently. Re-insulated - now runs perfectly!!
kingofthehil is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > The ZX6R

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Bike: Convert or buy already set up SGC Racing 23 05-29-2014 05:55 PM
sub throttle actuator code? bike shop says to replace entire throttle body? icrdiblebulk Mechanical and Technical 3 05-12-2014 07:47 PM
ZX-6R 06 Track Bike Throttle mod Rotem46 Racing 31 06-10-2013 06:43 PM
FI light came on after washing my bike mrmcbizzie Mechanical and Technical 10 04-30-2012 03:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome