200 rear tire fitment? - ZX6R Forum
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-08-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 41
200 rear tire fitment?

Hello guys. I'm in need of a new rear tire i have a 190/55/17 at the moment. it came when i bought the bike 4 months ago. i know stock is 180. one guy locally to me totaled his bike and never put on the new tire. he is selling a continental sport attack rear tire for $120 brand new. but is a 200/55/17. I wan to buy it but worried about fitment. I do not track or drag knee. I just ride for fun and usually highway. will this tire fit my swing arm and chain?
Benjiquattro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 06-08-2019, 03:44 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 11,467

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Measure the gaps you have now. If they're less than 5mm, you are guaranteed that the tire will rub. The extra 10mm would be split equally to both sides.... The tire may hit your fender as it will likely be taller on fhe rim.
Portland01 and KawasakiBrad like this.

"Basic stuff fellas. Use your head for something other than to break your next fall."
RJ2112 is online now  
post #3 of 18 Old 06-08-2019, 06:30 AM
Team Green
 
Portland01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 128

I Ride: 2015 Kawasaki ZX-6R NINJA 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
Measure the gaps you have now. If they're less than 5mm, you are guaranteed that the tire will rub. The extra 10mm would be split equally to both sides.... The tire may hit your fender as it will likely be taller on fhe rim.
What he said :^)

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
Portland01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 06-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Team Green
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 164
not all 190s are the same width. the 190 Bridgestone R11 is only marginally wider than say a pirelli 180. Plus, rim is still the same 5.5" size.

also check how much space you have to your swingarm in the forward / rear direction as the tyre you mention will also have a larger rolling diameter
gruntymotor is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 06-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Team Green
 
Portland01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 128

I Ride: 2015 Kawasaki ZX-6R NINJA 636
If you fit it put up a pic, sounds like it would look awesome. Big fat rear tyres on 600's for the win lol.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
Portland01 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 06-08-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland01 View Post
If you fit it put up a pic, sounds like it would look awesome. Big fat rear tyres on 600's for the win lol.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Lol ok i will
Portland01 likes this.
Benjiquattro is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 06-08-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 41
I'm sure someone here has done.... Hmmmmm
Benjiquattro is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 06-09-2019, 04:26 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 11,467

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiquattro View Post
I'm sure someone here has done.... Hmmmmm
By that same note, the lack of a positive response (to date) should tell you something......

"Basic stuff fellas. Use your head for something other than to break your next fall."
RJ2112 is online now  
post #9 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 433

I Ride: '12 ZX6
Not all 200's are created equal, and a Dunlop 200, Michelin, Pirelli, etc...will not all be the same size (even if the aspect ratio is the same). Each brand has their own unique profile (Ever compare a Dunlop 120/70/17 to a Pirelli 120/70/17 and look at the sidewall difference?).

A 200 will not automatically be 5mm wider on each side over a 190. You can't even begin to assume that without taking the aspect ratio of the 190 into account, along with rim diameter.

I've used plenty of take off 200's on my past R6 and ZX6's. Don't take everything you read online as gospel, some people talk in theory, and some people actually have first hand experience. I'm not saying it will work for sure, without knowing if you have a tire hugger/specific chain length, etc, but more than likely, it'll work just fine for your use.
jd41 and sbk1198 like this.

WERA Expert #37
N2 Track Days Control Rider
'12 ZX6 - 3 Marines Racing Endurance Team Bike
'07 ZX6
Sportbike Track Gear
Woodcraft
Andrew Swenson Design
N2 Track Days
It is always those that use their brakes the least that want to upgrade them the most.
Otto Man is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 06-12-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
Not all 200's are created equal, and a Dunlop 200, Michelin, Pirelli, etc...will not all be the same size (even if the aspect ratio is the same). Each brand has their own unique profile (Ever compare a Dunlop 120/70/17 to a Pirelli 120/70/17 and look at the sidewall difference?).

A 200 will not automatically be 5mm wider on each side over a 190. You can't even begin to assume that without taking the aspect ratio of the 190 into account, along with rim diameter.

I've used plenty of take off 200's on my past R6 and ZX6's. Don't take everything you read online as gospel, some people talk in theory, and some people actually have first hand experience. I'm not saying it will work for sure, without knowing if you have a tire hugger/specific chain length, etc, but more than likely, it'll work just fine for your use.
I passed on the deal. I wasn't sure on fitment and did not want to "Experiment" so now i know a 190 fits now my question is 190/55 or 190/50?
Benjiquattro is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,812

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
Not all 200's are created equal, and a Dunlop 200, Michelin, Pirelli, etc...will not all be the same size (even if the aspect ratio is the same). Each brand has their own unique profile (Ever compare a Dunlop 120/70/17 to a Pirelli 120/70/17 and look at the sidewall difference?).

A 200 will not automatically be 5mm wider on each side over a 190. You can't even begin to assume that without taking the aspect ratio of the 190 into account, along with rim diameter.

I've used plenty of take off 200's on my past R6 and ZX6's. Don't take everything you read online as gospel, some people talk in theory, and some people actually have first hand experience. I'm not saying it will work for sure, without knowing if you have a tire hugger/specific chain length, etc, but more than likely, it'll work just fine for your use.
Yep! All of this. Having settled on Pirelli years ago, I've since then got their spec sheet almost every year which has the actual dimensions of their tires. It's amazing how big their 180/60 tires are. Here's some examples, for Pirelli race tires:

180/55: 184 width, 641 diameter
180/60: 190 width, 656 diameter
200/55: 195 width, 656 diameter
200/60: 200 width, 662 diameter

This reminds me I need to get the 2019 spec sheets. They came out with some tires this year that are not on my 2018 sheet.
Otto Man and jd41 like this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 06-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Squid
 
LiamGTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Newcastle, England.
Posts: 55

I Ride: '06 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiquattro View Post
I passed on the deal. I wasn't sure on fitment and did not want to "Experiment" so now i know a 190 fits now my question is 190/55 or 190/50?
Why not just stick with what's recommended by the people who made the bike?
LiamGTR is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Team Green
 
mmattockx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamGTR View Post
Why not just stick with what's recommended by the people who made the bike?
Because it was CHEAP. OP said he doesn't care how well it works, just wants a cheap rear tire to putter along on the street with. Personally, I wouldn't try to save a couple $$ and end up messing up the handling, but some people don't care how their bike works and only want to save the money.


Mark
jd41 likes this.

1998 ZX6R
2005 KTM 450EXC
1982 GS1100E
mmattockx is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 02:23 AM
Squid
 
LiamGTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Newcastle, England.
Posts: 55

I Ride: '06 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattockx View Post
Because it was CHEAP. OP said he doesn't care how well it works, just wants a cheap rear tire to putter along on the street with. Personally, I wouldn't try to save a couple $$ and end up messing up the handling, but some people don't care how their bike works and only want to save the money.


Mark
I agree, please sacrifice safety over a few quid, OP.
LiamGTR is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 433

I Ride: '12 ZX6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamGTR View Post
Why not just stick with what's recommended by the people who made the bike?
So why do you change anything on your bike? It came from the factory the way it does because it was recommended to come that way. So why change anything on the bike?

WERA Expert #37
N2 Track Days Control Rider
'12 ZX6 - 3 Marines Racing Endurance Team Bike
'07 ZX6
Sportbike Track Gear
Woodcraft
Andrew Swenson Design
N2 Track Days
It is always those that use their brakes the least that want to upgrade them the most.
Otto Man is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > The ZX6R

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome