Making Cell Phone Video Cinematic - ZX6R Forum
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By PowerGroove
  • 2 Post By WildCard
  • 1 Post By Scorpi0
  • 1 Post By sbk1198
  • 1 Post By PowerGroove
  • 1 Post By sbk1198
  • 1 Post By PowerGroove
  • 1 Post By sbk1198
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-12-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 11,641

I Ride: 06 Road King, 86 FZ600, 82 CB900, 09 and 12 ZX6R (RIP)
Garage
Making Cell Phone Video Cinematic

Just thought I'd throw this little test clip I just finished up on here for an example of what can be done using a cell phone camera.

I shot the video with my Samsing Galaxy S7 using Pro-Mode and dialing in some settings. Some basic shot techniques and angles and a few about 3 minutes of footage later I dropped it all into Adobe Premier CS6. Did some color correction and popped some wide-screen black bands across the top and bottom for the movie screen look. Found some somber ass music (I was going for a "walking dead" kind of look) and dropped it in.

The final 35 seconds are the raw footage with no editing done. Just a quick glance at what you could be doing with your Instagram content or motovlogs... Because I know you all want to be Instawhores lol.

sbk1198 and WildCard like this.

“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
These fine gentleman are expressing their frustration with your learning style.
YouTube: Youtube.com/MotoMedic | IG: @1MotoMedic | @powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 11-12-2018, 02:43 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
WildCard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 1,557

I Ride: 2002 ZX-6R 2009 KLX 331 Supermoto
Garage
LOL. Epic cinematic box blade.

Turned out good, seeing the raw footage at the end puts it into perspective.

People don't think post production be like it is, but it do.
PowerGroove and sbk1198 like this.


Roads? Where we're going we don't need....

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Roads. ☢
WildCard is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 11-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Post Master General
 
Scorpi0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 12,278

I Ride: 06 636
I see some shaking going on. U can get a more steady shot using this cheap stabilizing technique made of some string.

Check it out. https://www.diyphotography.net/diy-p...-costs-1-make/
PowerGroove likes this.
Scorpi0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,260

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
That's pretty neat! Since you're using Adobe Premiere Pro, like I do, what settings do you use when starting a project before you import a video? I have CS5.5 version not CS6, but I imagine things are pretty similar, unless they had some major updates in 6. This is all I get for options which sucks for videos recorded with a GoPro. I record in either 1080P or 720P but with 60 fps. The only option for 60 fps is the one highlighted in the screenshot below. But then it thinks it's 960x720 resolution, which isn't right cuz the raw video is 1280x720. And then a typical sprint race, which ends up being about a 12-minute video is like over 3 gb. That's the only option that I found that works somewhat decent, but there should be something better I would think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	91242  

PowerGroove likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 11,641

I Ride: 06 Road King, 86 FZ600, 82 CB900, 09 and 12 ZX6R (RIP)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
I see some shaking going on. U can get a more steady shot using this cheap stabilizing technique made of some string.

Check it out. https://www.diyphotography.net/diy-p...-costs-1-make/
- I've actually made my own gimbal before. I was kind of going for a little shakiness and I have the stabilazation on so it's not bad for what I was doing. I was more using the footage for post production color correction more than anything. I'm going to be doing a lot of video for my business and most of that is all stationary cameras but having some B-roll ain't a bad thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
That's pretty neat! Since you're using Adobe Premiere Pro, like I do, what settings do you use when starting a project before you import a video? I have CS5.5 version not CS6, but I imagine things are pretty similar, unless they had some major updates in 6. This is all I get for options which sucks for videos recorded with a GoPro. I record in either 1080P or 720P but with 60 fps. The only option for 60 fps is the one highlighted in the screenshot below. But then it thinks it's 960x720 resolution, which isn't right cuz the raw video is 1280x720. And then a typical sprint race, which ends up being about a 12-minute video is like over 3 gb. That's the only option that I found that works somewhat decent, but there should be something better I would think.
OK... so when I open a new project I start with the 1080p drop down ---> DVCPROHD 1080p24 - 24fps is anything you see that is on the big screen and most of what's on YouTube. High fps is good for capturing but your eye can't see 30fps much less 120 or higher. You'd use 60fps if you were shooting 120fps maybe... But typically most movies and anything in HD is at 23.97 (24) FPS. (TV is 29.97)

Here are my output/render settings

Format - H.264
Preset - HD 1080p 23.976 (do not select PAR - There may be one right above this preset)

You can see all the actual output settings. Also... I check the "Use maximum render quality" and "Use Frame Blending" boxes. If you have a setting for two passes of each frame to render... that always helps too. Your render time will go up though. More RAM the faster the render time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	91244  


“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
These fine gentleman are expressing their frustration with your learning style.
YouTube: Youtube.com/MotoMedic | IG: @1MotoMedic | @powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 11,641

I Ride: 06 Road King, 86 FZ600, 82 CB900, 09 and 12 ZX6R (RIP)
Garage
And here's the Video I was rending in that screen shot


“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
These fine gentleman are expressing their frustration with your learning style.
YouTube: Youtube.com/MotoMedic | IG: @1MotoMedic | @powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 11-13-2018, 05:13 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,260

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGroove View Post
- I've actually made my own gimbal before. I was kind of going for a little shakiness and I have the stabilazation on so it's not bad for what I was doing. I was more using the footage for post production color correction more than anything. I'm going to be doing a lot of video for my business and most of that is all stationary cameras but having some B-roll ain't a bad thing!



OK... so when I open a new project I start with the 1080p drop down ---> DVCPROHD 1080p24 - 24fps is anything you see that is on the big screen and most of what's on YouTube. High fps is good for capturing but your eye can't see 30fps much less 120 or higher. You'd use 60fps if you were shooting 120fps maybe... But typically most movies and anything in HD is at 23.97 (24) FPS. (TV is 29.97)

Here are my output/render settings

Format - H.264
Preset - HD 1080p 23.976 (do not select PAR - There may be one right above this preset)

You can see all the actual output settings. Also... I check the "Use maximum render quality" and "Use Frame Blending" boxes. If you have a setting for two passes of each frame to render... that always helps too. Your render time will go up though. More RAM the faster the render time.
I will try those settings for an existing one that I've already done with different settings and see the difference. Maybe this weekend if I remember, since I'm out of town for the next few days.

I don't really agree about the 60 fps. The human eye can definitely see the difference between 30 and 60, that's why it's such a big deal for gamers. 60 fps is about the limit though. I can definitely tell the difference in my videos if I pick 60 fps vs if I forget to change it and it defaults to 30 fps (I've made that mistake before and noticed right away). Anything in 60 fps looks so much better and realistic, hence I record that way.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 11-13-2018, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 11,641

I Ride: 06 Road King, 86 FZ600, 82 CB900, 09 and 12 ZX6R (RIP)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
I will try those settings for an existing one that I've already done with different settings and see the difference. Maybe this weekend if I remember, since I'm out of town for the next few days.

I don't really agree about the 60 fps. The human eye can definitely see the difference between 30 and 60, that's why it's such a big deal for gamers. 60 fps is about the limit though. I can definitely tell the difference in my videos if I pick 60 fps vs if I forget to change it and it defaults to 30 fps (I've made that mistake before and noticed right away). Anything in 60 fps looks so much better and realistic, hence I record that way.
Yes... Higher frame rate is great for gaming due to the quick movements of most games. It also requires a monitor of 60hz or higher to look good.

Video for movies, while similar, isn't the same. Frame rates can vary in gaming depending on hardware and how fast your internet connection is. Movies don't matter.

Even a 5000fps super slow motion videi gets output to 30-60fps when it's produced for a final video. Each of the frames in each second are rendered so when it's played back (say you recorded at 120fps and output at 30fps) each frame will have 4 of your slow motion frames in one. That's why 120fps looks so clean when you output in slow motion at 30fps.

So yes... capture your video at as high of frame rate you can without sacrificing quality of the footage. Better footage goes a long way.

That all said.... YouTube displays every video posted on the site at 24fps. So even if you output it at 120fps it's only going to be viewed at 24fps by anyone viewing it on YouTube. (Same as any movie you'll go see in a theater.) However.... if you plan on doing slow motion shots... shot at 48 or 72fps if rendering down at 24. Makes things smoother as the math works out. shooting 120... output at 30fps is OK too. But the best render setting for HD (at least for the stuff I've been doing for the last 5 yeasr or so) is going to be that H.264 1080HD setting. (Unless of course you're shooting in 4k. Then render in 4k. )
sbk1198 likes this.

“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
These fine gentleman are expressing their frustration with your learning style.
YouTube: Youtube.com/MotoMedic | IG: @1MotoMedic | @powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 11-13-2018, 07:01 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,260

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGroove View Post
Yes... Higher frame rate is great for gaming due to the quick movements of most games. It also requires a monitor of 60hz or higher to look good.

Video for movies, while similar, isn't the same. Frame rates can vary in gaming depending on hardware and how fast your internet connection is. Movies don't matter.

Even a 5000fps super slow motion videi gets output to 30-60fps when it's produced for a final video. Each of the frames in each second are rendered so when it's played back (say you recorded at 120fps and output at 30fps) each frame will have 4 of your slow motion frames in one. That's why 120fps looks so clean when you output in slow motion at 30fps.

So yes... capture your video at as high of frame rate you can without sacrificing quality of the footage. Better footage goes a long way.

That all said.... YouTube displays every video posted on the site at 24fps. So even if you output it at 120fps it's only going to be viewed at 24fps by anyone viewing it on YouTube. (Same as any movie you'll go see in a theater.) However.... if you plan on doing slow motion shots... shot at 48 or 72fps if rendering down at 24. Makes things smoother as the math works out. shooting 120... output at 30fps is OK too. But the best render setting for HD (at least for the stuff I've been doing for the last 5 yeasr or so) is going to be that H.264 1080HD setting. (Unless of course you're shooting in 4k. Then render in 4k. )
I did notice Youtube pretty much lowers the quality of the videos that's why I sort of gave up on trying to find the best settings. My videos always look better when I'm playing them directly on my computer in a video player, rather than watching them on Youtube. I thought it does have an option to play in 720p-60fps though, which they introduced in the last few years. Could be wrong though, I'll have to go back and check through my channel videos.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 11-13-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 11,641

I Ride: 06 Road King, 86 FZ600, 82 CB900, 09 and 12 ZX6R (RIP)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
I did notice Youtube pretty much lowers the quality of the videos that's why I sort of gave up on trying to find the best settings. My videos always look better when I'm playing them directly on my computer in a video player, rather than watching them on Youtube. I thought it does have an option to play in 720p-60fps though, which they introduced in the last few years. Could be wrong though, I'll have to go back and check through my channel videos.
I haven't shot anything at 720 in probably 4 years. Unless it's GoPro 120fps and only shoots in 720.

“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
These fine gentleman are expressing their frustration with your learning style.
YouTube: Youtube.com/MotoMedic | IG: @1MotoMedic | @powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 11-13-2018, 08:13 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,260

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGroove View Post
I haven't shot anything at 720 in probably 4 years. Unless it's GoPro 120fps and only shoots in 720.
I do it just to save space. 720p is plenty good for me, and my GoPro 3 can only do 60 fps in 720p. I've tried both options and prefer 720p in 60 fps over 1080p in 30 fps.
PowerGroove likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 11-13-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 11,641

I Ride: 06 Road King, 86 FZ600, 82 CB900, 09 and 12 ZX6R (RIP)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
I do it just to save space. 720p is plenty good for me, and my GoPro 3 can only do 60 fps in 720p. I've tried both options and prefer 720p in 60 fps over 1080p in 30 fps.
For sure... if you're shooting anything that has action or quick movements shoot higher fps, absolutely.

Broadcast TV is only at 30fps viewable in the US... 25fps is standard in Europe. If it's not stored on your hard drive and you're watching it... you're likely watching in 30 if broadcast or 24 streamed online. Again... output and capture are two completely different things.

Frame rates aside... If you're capturing in 720 you won't want to output in 1080. It will not be true 1080 HD.
I'd recommend trying this output setting.

Format - H.264
Preset - HD 720p 29.97

That'll get you pretty much as good of HD as possible with 720 shot footage, decently small file size, and really good streamability.
sbk1198 likes this.

“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
These fine gentleman are expressing their frustration with your learning style.
YouTube: Youtube.com/MotoMedic | IG: @1MotoMedic | @powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 11-14-2018, 04:16 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,260

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGroove View Post
For sure... if you're shooting anything that has action or quick movements shoot higher fps, absolutely.

Broadcast TV is only at 30fps viewable in the US... 25fps is standard in Europe. If it's not stored on your hard drive and you're watching it... you're likely watching in 30 if broadcast or 24 streamed online. Again... output and capture are two completely different things.

Frame rates aside... If you're capturing in 720 you won't want to output in 1080. It will not be true 1080 HD.
I'd recommend trying this output setting.

Format - H.264
Preset - HD 720p 29.97

That'll get you pretty much as good of HD as possible with 720 shot footage, decently small file size, and really good streamability.
So that's basically what I have been doing except for the preset was HD 720p 60fps. When I change the frame rate for the output it doesn't seem to change file size anyway, which I thought it was odd. But H.264 is the format I've mostly used. Tried others but nothing worked quite as well.
PowerGroove likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > Multimedia > Videos

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell Phone Mount.. PHOENIXZX Motorcycle Talk 12 08-27-2011 10:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome