Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

ZZR 600 Turbo

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  riverszzr 
#1 ·
#4 ·
It’s running carbs. Believe it or not I can adjust fuel mixture while riding . Saves a shit load of spannering at track.The mixture adjustment is soo simple but ultra effective and cost less than $20 NZD to set up. Still runs stock standard jets.
If anyone wants to do or doing a carb blow thru I’m more than happy to share some secrets.

#6 ·
Yeah man. NZ good guess
Next time I run I’ll have to fuel system automated to self regulate. Was a little challenging riding at those speeds and trying to tune!
Was first time out so had to see if it actually worked... extremely low budget land speed project!
Very lucky to have the opportunity to do this over here. Bike is great to go get a bottle of milk... it’s still road legal!

#7 · (Edited)
280 kilometer per hour?
that is only 170 mph

which this bike would go (radar) 164mph bone fucking stock as per the magazine tests of the day....

Not to mention the fact you are reading the speedo, my "stock" ZZR600 winds right past the 180mph mark in top gear which is past the 280kmh mark; on only 108hp and +1/+1 gearing, but the fact is - it is wildly optimistic like all motorcycle speedometers, radar shows my top speed to be 168mph (so atleast 15-20mph less than the speedo reads)

I doubt you can change your fueling whilst riding!, just poppycock bullshit sans having some gross adjuster screw that may add fuel via a remote turn knob (those systems are worthless and have been proven to be of zero value. They were a sales gimmick in the 80's and early 90's and never worked!)

I doubt you are making any more than 110hp unless you also did engine work!!!! and it is likely even less than 110hp (if you want to argue, go get dyno sheets and prove me wrong!!!) The rods fly apart in short order when you climb past 125hp!
I have more than a couple racebike engines from the 2000-2002 era (which is basically the same as the 05-08 zzr) that I pushed beyond 125hp on stock rods and all broke the rods in half or thirds or more..........
So at a minimum- you would need, pistons(turboing a 13:1 engine is ill advised), rods, crank work, head work and tons more............. not just ~ throw on a turbo "pretty safely" and think you have 130-140hp............ and you would then have to seriously worry about cooling!!!!!!! hp makes heat and lots of it

oh fantastic.......... just watched the video, so it is a 1992 zzr600.......slowest one ever, fat and heavy as hell (well over 460lbs actual) and was about 90hp stock.........
Ride by simply sounds like a bike with a loud pipe taking forever to get to speed.

Reactions: burke
#8 ·
Hey bud
Thanks for those comments.
Was wondering about those rods.
Good thing I have never revved it over 11k!
Fuel system does work fantastic though.
You are however very correct about the compression ratio but shit loads of toluene mixed with HO gas helps a lot. Also the amount of H2O and meth that sprays straight into the turbo when spooled is also a major bonus the kerb the Chernobyl effect.Its a real balancing act much like Russian rue let
Like I said Budget bike and first time out and running safe at Mo.
It’s 27 yrs old and done over 50,000 k and yes heavy and not as powerful as yours standard but a shit load of fun!
Talk to anybody who has attempted to just bolt a turbo on and I would say after many frustrating hrs in garage would love to talk/ perhaps get advise/ ideas from someone who’s actually done it.
Like yourself I have poo pooed hairdryers all my life but when one landed on my garage bench I had to stick it somewhere. My thing has always been drag racing in cars with 900 hp naturally aspirated methonal engines with as you say massive amounts of engine work req to make small gains compared to $$$ spent .
If someone ever gives you the chance to ride a Turbo bike you should accept as they are fucken awesome fun!

#9 ·
I have owned a couple turbo bikes
GPZ750 turbo and CX650 turbo (both from the 80's era)

but I have ridden more than a few customers bikes with turbos, most recently a 2010ish zx10 a couple years ago

I still would love to see some actual DYNO sheet showing what horsepower and torque your bike actually makes! Becasue I am certain you are grossly over estimating

#10 ·
Hmmm
Zx10 turbo.. cool . Did you get to ride it in angry? ... me jealous..!
There was one there on Nos. Went well over 300k and was bloody impressive. As was the worked H2R wheel standing at some 330 plus kms!!
Like I said Just a wild guess and don’t ever intend on Dyno run.
You could be right with 110 hp but when running stock gearing the new standard clutch didn’t cut the mustard at all.. fucked it pretty quick!
Plus 3 and Minus 3 gearing now with worked clutch ok and the big gears keep the front down. Now just gentle roll on of throttle as this sort of event you get shit loads of run up so not a drag race
Apples for apples ignoring the whatever HP Numbers it was way faster than a VTR 1000 and also had a bit on a MT10 but both were reasonably stock. Bloody hot humid day at fairly high altitude as well.

#12 ·
A 250 lb person needs a turbo on a liter bike????????? must be masking other deficiencies....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.