Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there,

Be easy on me,im total new at street bikes and been used to scramblers/off road trail bikes as when i was a teenager.

Ok so me: not been on a bike for 4/5years before that all off road on a dedicated track we made with the help of a farmer and his time to make us a a 2 acher track on waste ground.

So on hearing the new testing for bikes is getting harder/more advance to reduce accidents i have enroled myself into a advance motorbike course, 6days in total, with test at the end, so far, passed the CBT with flying colours and not starting rest of course untill theroy bit done, rebooked rest for 16th July.

Anyway reson im asking is im looking for a zx6r for my first time bike and as new to buying sports bikes i was looking for pointers as buying a good quality 6r ninjar.

Im looking for tips or pointers as i will be trailing throught ebay and local dealers for bikes and prices,

Any info on common faults/worn things to look for on this type of bike would be much appreciated!

Sorry for long thread
Dougie:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
welcome to the site m8

iv just passed the theory test and got my direct access on the 18th
unfortunatly my ninja is in bits as im trying to source bits for it

·
Registered
604 Posts
Welcome to the site...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
none of you guys got any tips/hints to look for when buying a 2001 zx6r? Im looking the now, would love so ppinters to know where to look for problem points ect

thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,

What about common faults in the ninja's to look out for im meaning, ie like possible engine troubles, common wear and tear faults that can affect price/performance/safety.

thanks again

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thanks,

What about common faults in the ninja's to look out for im meaning, ie like possible engine troubles, common wear and tear faults that can affect price/performance/safety.

thanks again
u have to wait til ppl that have the 2001 to tell you i have no clue i have a 2006 sry i cant help you on that part

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Im not sure how to put up a picture but, i pick up my FIRST Ninja next weekend, still no one know where common faults can be found on the J2 2001?

I have been warned to check for rounded screws/nuts on the engine as signs they have been often tampered with.

To check distance from stearing is same from tank on full lock both ways.

To hold front wheel up of ground and when stearing front wheel no clicking or noises (from wheelies damage).

Oil coming fron front surpension.

And to check for rust and corrosion, althought i dont think there will be any, as none seen from the many pictures i have got.

The bike has low milage at 7000k.
Anything eklse to look out for expecially with the J2?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I'm not sure of any major faults with the 2001 model. But it's like all bikes, there are simple things to check to make sure you don't end up shit creek with no paddle in the future. You say it's only got 7000k? Does the condition of the bike match the k's? The poor thing hasn't had much of a life yet so you probably won't find any faults with it. Just to make sure though...
  • Make sure the oil in the sight glass is smooth and has no bits in it or milky scum - this could mean internal engine leaks.
  • On starting from cold make sure the engine does not turn over sluggishly - this could mean a worn starter motor and/or a defective battery.
  • Check for oil leaks around the engine and on the ground where the bike has been stood - any leaks could indicate expensive oil seal replacement or crash damage.
  • Check all the lights work and that both levers activate the rear brake light.
  • Run a finger up the fork stanchions and check for oil and rust - leaking fork seals are fixable, but it will cost you if the forks need re-chroming, also sometimes dismantling forks will damage the fork bushes and they'll need replacing.
  • Check to make sure the rear shock isn't leaking oil and that any shock linkage is moving smoothly.
  • Find out how old the tyres are regardless of their apparent wear - some old tyres can appear fine until the conditions get slippy. If in doubt, factor in replacement.
  • Check the brake disks for obvious signs of wear, hairline cracks between the vent holes can indicate critically thin disks. Check the brake pads to make sure they still have plenty of material left.
  • If possible spin each wheel off the ground and check for damaged rims and worn wheel bearings.
  • With the front wheel off the ground carefully move the steering left and right of centre and feel for any notches in the head stock bearings
  • Check the sprockets to make sure they're not 'hooked' and check the chain is not at the end of it's adjustment.
  • Check behind as many panels as possible for signs of repair. They may point to more serious accident damage, the quality of bodywork repair should indicate the quality of any other repairs.
  • Check for bent levers, scuffed mirrors/bar ends/indicators/bottom of forks for signs of a drop.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure of any major faults with the 2001 model. But it's like all bikes, there are simple things to check to make sure you don't end up shit creek with no paddle in the future. You say it's only got 7000k? Does the condition of the bike match the k's? The poor thing hasn't had much of a life yet so you probably won't find any faults with it. Just to make sure though...
  • Make sure the oil in the sight glass is smooth and has no bits in it or milky scum - this could mean internal engine leaks.
  • On starting from cold make sure the engine does not turn over sluggishly - this could mean a worn starter motor and/or a defective battery.
  • Check for oil leaks around the engine and on the ground where the bike has been stood - any leaks could indicate expensive oil seal replacement or crash damage.
  • Check all the lights work and that both levers activate the rear brake light.
  • Run a finger up the fork stanchions and check for oil and rust - leaking fork seals are fixable, but it will cost you if the forks need re-chroming, also sometimes dismantling forks will damage the fork bushes and they'll need replacing.
  • Check to make sure the rear shock isn't leaking oil and that any shock linkage is moving smoothly.
  • Find out how old the tyres are regardless of their apparent wear - some old tyres can appear fine until the conditions get slippy. If in doubt, factor in replacement.
  • Check the brake disks for obvious signs of wear, hairline cracks between the vent holes can indicate critically thin disks. Check the brake pads to make sure they still have plenty of material left.
  • If possible spin each wheel off the ground and check for damaged rims and worn wheel bearings.
  • With the front wheel off the ground carefully move the steering left and right of centre and feel for any notches in the head stock bearings
  • Check the sprockets to make sure they're not 'hooked' and check the chain is not at the end of it's adjustment.
  • Check behind as many panels as possible for signs of repair. They may point to more serious accident damage, the quality of bodywork repair should indicate the quality of any other repairs.
  • Check for bent levers, scuffed mirrors/bar ends/indicators/bottom of forks for signs of a drop.
Thanks sir, fantastic, exactly what im looking for as buying my first road and sports bike.

My new bike as a stone chip on the hugger (size of your thumb nail) apart from that the seller delairs 100% showroom condition, never seen rain or even a track day in the 5years he has had it.

Any clasic things to look out for in the J2? With 7k mileage i cant expect anything wrong.

As soon as i get it, ill have it home, clean it and book it into a local garage to have a full service and inspection.

Thanks for help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Check for warped brake discs on that model zx6r mate. They were improved with the J models but were still prone to it. I went through 3 sets on my G2!
Any ticking noises from top end is usual on a Ninja but walk away from anything worse. There's plenty other ZX6's around that will be sweet.
My G2 had a hunger for fork seals too, 3 sets in a year but then never needed them again.
Now on a B1H model and loving it!
Welcome to the brotherhood of the Ninja 6's my friend!

·
Registered
83 Posts
lovely looking bike you got m8
mines used to be that colour but since im having to put new panels on it im going to change it.

might need you to pop over to see what bits are missing off mine lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts