Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hit a dead end,:headbang: a few weeks ago i went highside on the bike and cracked stator housing, coolant resevoir, footpeg bracket, and fucked my plastics, while fixing all this stuff i also replaced the ignition switch with a new one off ebay. So i got it all back together and no spark, at any coil.
I have replaced ignitor and pickup coil but still nothing, i have ran all the tests in the manual, the ignitor is getting power and all fuses seem to be good, everything checks out but there is no spark on any plug (although there is power to coils) any advice would be much appreciated, oh and Hello everyone I am new to the forum!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
...that makes, zero sense.

How have you determined you aren't getting spark? Did you run a test with a node light or have the coil sitting on top of the engine and crank it to visually verify that the plug is not arcing to the engine?

And how did you determine the coils are getting power? Did you check the primary and secondary winding resistance in the coils?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked for arc visually and tested for voltage at coils, and yes i tested all the coils the primary winding was 1 ohm over on every coil but i consider that negligible because i seriously doubt all the coils would bust at once.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tomorrow i am going to try to buy a peak voltage adapter because my multimeter is crap and will not store peak voltage (voltage is supposed to get to 92v at coil)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For anyone that wants to know, it was the ignition switch, this particular one i got of the bay did not have the 100 ohm resistance in the circuit for the ignitor (the extra amperage sets off relay in ignitor that disables spark) so i took some resistors out of an old radio and she fired right up! Except after 10 seconds starts spewwing oil smoke (prolly cracked something when i wrecked it) hopefully its not internal because it was coming out of tailpipe and headers :hmm:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts