Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unfortunately i live in the city and I have to leave my bike outdoors the entire team. I need the best cover possible for it. any suggestions? as of now I'm looking at the Dowco Guardian 50124-00 WeatherAll Plus Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Motorcycle Cover.

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
The cover is a small part of the strategy for keeping your bike safe when parked.... I'd recommend against anything that advertises what is underneath. Plain, baggy, well attached are much more important than being flashy. Ventilation is important, as trapped moisture will accelerate corrosion. Insulated panels where your exhaust system may touch the cover are a good idea. Plain jane. No boy racer graphics.

Once you have the anonymous plain brown wrapper, making sure it stays in place on the bike, and then that the bike stays where you leave it..... Both call for good locks, and heavy cable or chain...... Even better if you can make use of a permanent anchor to tie it all down, together. An alarm that goes off if someone messes with the cover increases the difficulty for the thief.

You can't make it impossible to steal, you can make it difficult enough that the thief will look for easier prey. Locked up in a brightly lit, high traffic monitored area adds more problems for the thief.

All those steps can be a real pain. Get in the habit, and never relent. Planning, and practice are your best friends.

·
Registered
205 Posts
unfortunately i live in the city and I have to leave my bike outdoors the entire team. I need the best cover possible for it. any suggestions? as of now I'm looking at the Dowco Guardian 50124-00 WeatherAll Plus Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Motorcycle Cover.
I've owned dowco guardian but xxl size for my harley. it's sturdy and durable but heavy and bulky. i do not mind on a harley since I hav saddle bags to stow it in. also, they all breathable covers absorb some water, but this one being so thick absorbs much more, while becoming a messy challenge to wrap and stow away.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
None of them are "waterproof" forever, and being outdoors the UV from sunlight, exhuast fumes etc will all shorten their life, but............ @ $100 or so, any decent cover should last you atleast a couple years

I have a very old DOW canvas cover with some sort of soft inner liner over 80% of it (no scratches- but don't set it down inside out as it would pick up everything)- and all of the bottom is heat lined for the exhaust, I use it on trips when I am in a single location for days (ie... I can take it off in the am and just throw it in the hotel room- much like you should be able to do where you live?)- It has seen very little sunlight actually since I generally only have had it on overnight and even that has only been perhaps 75-90 times........ but atleast the bike is never covered in dew, and people can't really see what it is unless they are going to cut it off, but it is still obvious it is a sportbike. But there have been times it has been rained on, and while it is good it does pool on the seat and then work through as the water sits there, I have not noticed (or maybe just don't remember) having water get through any other place or time

If you try to always roll it up and put it back in its carrier and take it with you each morning, you are in for alot of extra time and inconvenience every trip

I have several nylon and nylon blend ones I put on bikes here for storage or when racers bikes I don't want seen by those walking in/through- but those have only ever seen indoor use

I think any cover is better than no cover and even if you have to buy new every 2 or 3 years it is a hell of a lot better than no cover at all

Along with your cover, have a couple good locks......... a rotor lock so it can't roll and a good cable and lock so it is tied to something--I have traditionally used my 4 wheeled vehicle to tie it to, since both in the parking lots on most of these trips- otherwise if I rode all the time I just brought it in the room with me, far safer but pisses off management

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
Do you have off street parking available to you?

Will you be able to repeatedly park it in the same spot?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts