Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i purchased my 1999 zx6r last week. this bike has been abused very bad and the previous owner had no time to work on it. before anyone asks, i bought this bike because i want to learn how to work on bikes and this was the perfect opportunity. i have been slowly diagnosing problems and will slowly try to fix it during winter. the main issue i am focused on fixing right now is start up. it starts up in neutral no problem but it wont start in gear when i pull the clutch in. also when i shift up to neutral from first gear, it wont start at all. i have to play with the clutch lever few times and the adjuster on top of the lever few times and then it will start up. i am not sure of its the clutch cable or the lever or the transmission itself. any idea? thanks.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Kryptek, if it starts at all, odds are good your problem is in the idiot switches that are meant to keep the ride safe. congrats on wanting to learn about wrenching on bikes. very cool.

1) download the shop manual for your bike from this site. Knowledge is power.
2) USE the manual to assist with troubleshooting. :)
3) If you haven't already done so, some tools will become critical to troubleshooting -- this scenario, you really need to have access to a multimeter.

The manual will have a matrix in it that lists what needs to be where, for the bike to run. It will go something like this:

The bike should always start, in neutral, with the side stand deployed.
The bike should always start, with the side stand up in neutral.
The bike should start with the side stand up, in gear, with the clutch lever in.

The idiot switches are in place at the clutch lever, at the transmission, and at the side stand.

Bikes use very simple ladder logic to stop the bike when an unsafe condition exists. Your symptoms would lead me to suspect the side stand idiot switch is hung up. (If it starts in neutral, and dies as soon as you put it in gear -- classic.)

The switches are quite small, and when I bike sits in one state for a long time in the weather tend to gum up and stop moving. The plunger on the side stand switch is operated by a tab on the side stand that hits it 'in' when the stand is deployed..... when the bike sits for years/months the switch will stick in the 'deployed' condition, even when you put the stand up.

Same thing is true of the one on the clutch lever.... it's usually right below the pivot and gets stuck saying the lever is all the way out, whether it is or not.

Find the switches, and soak them in WD-40, and work the plungers until they go in and out easily. Report back on whether that fixes the problem you are having right now. -- odds are good this is the tip of the iceberg. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kryptek, if it starts at all, odds are good your problem is in the idiot switches that are meant to keep the ride safe. congrats on wanting to learn about wrenching on bikes. very cool.

1) download the shop manual for your bike from this site. Knowledge is power.
2) USE the manual to assist with troubleshooting. :)
3) If you haven't already done so, some tools will become critical to troubleshooting -- this scenario, you really need to have access to a multimeter.

The manual will have a matrix in it that lists what needs to be where, for the bike to run. It will go something like this:

The bike should always start, in neutral, with the side stand deployed.
The bike should always start, with the side stand up in neutral.
The bike should start with the side stand up, in gear, with the clutch lever in.

The idiot switches are in place at the clutch lever, at the transmission, and at the side stand.

Bikes use very simple ladder logic to stop the bike when an unsafe condition exists. Your symptoms would lead me to suspect the side stand idiot switch is hung up. (If it starts in neutral, and dies as soon as you put it in gear -- classic.)

The switches are quite small, and when I bike sits in one state for a long time in the weather tend to gum up and stop moving. The plunger on the side stand switch is operated by a tab on the side stand that hits it 'in' when the stand is deployed..... when the bike sits for years/months the switch will stick in the 'deployed' condition, even when you put the stand up.

Same thing is true of the one on the clutch lever.... it's usually right below the pivot and gets stuck saying the lever is all the way out, whether it is or not.

Find the switches, and soak them in WD-40, and work the plungers until they go in and out easily. Report back on whether that fixes the problem you are having right now. -- odds are good this is the tip of the iceberg. :)
thanks for the reply. wow is didn't realize there is a switch by the transmission. where exactly is that switch is located?

is it called the neutral safety switch by the transmission and kickstand?

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
thanks for the reply. wow is didn't realize there is a switch by the transmission. where exactly is that switch is located?

is it called the neutral safety switch by the transmission and kickstand?
Not sure what the nomenclature of the transmission switch will be..... it will definitely have the word neutral associated with it. that switch is almost always inside the transmission, you should see the wire for it entering the case near the point where the shift lever goes in. It's the last of the three I would expect to go bad, TBH. It's protected from the weather, the other two are not. The one at the side stand is low on the bike, right in line with spray from the front tire..... a lot of schlock gets tossed up into the area it is expected to live in.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
On my Tiger this is classic clutch switch problem.

Dirty contacts. On the tiger the switch is located in the clutch handle.

Check the clutch handle. Any wires going to it?

Yes manual is the way to go. OH, in the tigers not a good idea to bypass the switch the ecu uses it for other things besides starting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts