Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all Its nice to meet everyone. My name Is Travis and im new to this forum. I live in Utah. I have browsed around and found some great info! Before explain my probem ill give a quick description of me. I am an aircraft engineer, mechanic, electrician. I have been a hobbyist mechanic for 13 years. Specialize in building racing vehicles (cars) for mostly circuit racing or drag. But play around with race boats and snowmobiles on occasion. I have owned a few bikes but currently do not have a road bike. Now onto my issues.

I just purchased a mini rail yesterday on Easter that has a ninja ZX6r engine, he made me an offer i couldnt refuse. I know this post is going to be missing some vital info such as the year of the motor. I did just find out thanks to this site how to idenify the year of the engine and I'll update in a few hours when i get home. Anyways the engine starts right up no problems without choke even. I let it warm up and go for a ride as long as i stay under half throttle it runs flawlessy, but when i really get on the throttle it falls on its face as you would expect a cold engine to do, but it never goes away. I just picked it up yesterday and will know alot more tonight. i am going to begin with the basics such as changing plugs, checking gap, cleaning carbs and sea-foam plus drain and refill the fuel tank with new filter. I am wondering if there is anything else i should inspect as i am not fully familiar with this engine yet. Is this a common problem? Areas to look? Any help is much appreciated and look forward to the info on this site.

Travis

20140420_143013.jpg

20140420_193717.jpg

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
If it's carbed then we know it's pre 03, which would lead me to believe it's a J engine, which would mean there's no suction valve on that thing to pressurize the carbs and thats where you're getting your bog from. Or a vacuum leak somewhere in there. I wouldn't know how to fix it on a mini rail though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's carbed then we know it's pre 03, which would lead me to believe it's a J engine, which would mean there's no suction valve on that thing to pressurize the carbs and thats where you're getting your bog from. Or a vacuum leak somewhere in there. I wouldn't know how to fix it on a mini rail though
Can you give me a little more info on the suction valve? maybe a pic or where its suppose to be. From the looks of the swap they took every single piece off the bike and just put it in the rail so i would be surprised if its not there, still oem pipe also. Even has the bikes fuel tank (for now)

It is 100% carb so definetly pre 03.

thanks

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Can you give me a little more info on the suction valve? maybe a pic or where its suppose to be. From the looks of the swap they took every single piece off the bike and just put it in the rail so i would be surprised if its not there, still oem pipe also. Even has the bikes fuel tank (for now)

It is 100% carb so definetly pre 03.

thanks
Where is this fuel tank you speak of? I don't see it :O

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. I attached pics of the engine serial number and also a better shot of the fuel tank setup. It appears the engine is early production and most likely a 95 which if im not mistaking is a F1 series engine? Engine code zx600fe003130 Had to go back to work so I will be getting more in depth in a few more hrs. And inspecting components. Looked in fuel tank and fuel has not varnished yet but will be drained and refilled as a precaution.

Also I noticed the choke cable is not hooked up. How long do you normally run with the choke on? With it being un hooked I have not ran it with choke on. Although it was pretty hot I wonder if im just not giving it enough time to warm completely. But being it starts so easily without choke id have a hard time believing this is my only issue.

I spoke with the old owner and he stated he didnt have this issue until this spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
Not sure how to read it from anything else. The F model went from 95-97. I have the F3 ('97) and it depends on how cold the morning is for how long I need the choke on. In the 30's, I usually have it on for a bit, even when I get on and ride off on it, it's still on a bit. However, pretty much 40 and above, I have it on for just a bit and then it goes off pretty quickly. When it's about 80-90 and above, I don't even need the choke.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
That should be the same engine as my 96. That is NOT the OEM gas tank... the 95-97 F1 had an all metal gas tank, and that goes for quite a few years after. By the way it sounds, you need to clean those carbs and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Well that's not a bike gas tank at all. I'm not sure if the G or F models had a suction valve, but basically the valve was attached to the air intake under the headlight on the front fairing and it would pressurize the airbox to the speed you're going. This could be fixed on a streetfighter bike that doesn't have that fairing or valve by taking the tube and hooking it to a fitting on the bottom of the carb plate. Not sure on a pre 00 engine though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that's not a bike gas tank at all. I'm not sure if the G or F models had a suction valve, but basically the valve was attached to the air intake under the headlight on the front fairing and it would pressurize the airbox to the speed you're going. This could be fixed on a streetfighter bike that doesn't have that fairing or valve by taking the tube and hooking it to a fitting on the bottom of the carb plate. Not sure on a pre 00 engine though
Thank you all for the responses.

Gotta love buying new toys :coocoo, I ran a check on the PN on the gas tank and it appears to be a yamaha 4 wheeler tank. Not a big deal as i have a 12 gallon aluminum racing fuel cell laying around.

I pulled the carbs off and found many issues. The first sign was when i pulled the fuel bowl off one of the carbs. It was spotless. So clean i knew it had just been gone through. I found one of the floats stuck mid position not allowing it to fill full. Next and i beleive the majority of my problem came when i opened the diaphragms that were being difficult to slide, first i noticed the spring guide was installed upside down adding alot more tension on the spring and diaphragm and covering the vacuum passage, second problem i found that really scares me is the needles had teflon tape wrapped around the stem :O from the looks he was trying to lessen the little play needles have, but in the process of him doing that he it he put it on so thick that the needle would not properly seat in the main jet all the way. All 4 carbs were like this. I flipped the guide and removed all teflon. re installed after float adjustment. fired the rail up and wow, night and day difference. Slides now move up and down with throttle and is so much crisper. It was late at night so i could not go for a quick run but will be in two hrs to confirm my issue has been resovled.

I noticed there is no fuel pump and is just gravity fed, I would feel much more comfortable with an electric pump being that the dunes i will be playing on have very very wicked inclines. Has anyone ran an electric pump on a carb version zx6r? If so what pressure is it set at? and are you running a regulator or a pump with a built in regulator?

Can someone please tell me if there is an upgraded air fuel screw that is somewhat accessible for adjustment?

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Well, the 96 has a fuel pump... not really sure what you mean by it being electric, since all fuel pumps are electric. Get the oem one for that engine and hook it up. Should be good to go then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, the 96 has a fuel pump... not really sure what you mean by it being electric, since all fuel pumps are electric. Get the oem one for that engine and hook it up. Should be good to go then.
Right now it is just from the tank straight to carbs (with filter inline). I did some research and found they are suppose to be running a pump with pressure at 2-3psi max. So i will be adding a pump i have with a built in regulator at 3psi. This may be another contributor to my high throttle miss. It may be starving for fuel.

I was referring to electric due to the fact they are easily added. Not all fuel pumps are electric. There is full mechanical pumps, vacuum driven pumps etc.

Also I would like to add an aftermarket pump rather then oem it will better suite the build in the rail. Not to mention I have a few here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to update everyone that has been helping me. I installed new fuel tank, new inline filter and 2.8psi inetrnally regulated fuel pump. Went for a ride with new plugs installed and gapped at .028 and the problem seems to have gotten worse. I did one short pull and cut it. Pulled the plugs and they are way lean. I am getting new main jets at the moment and will update. jets now are #1, #4- 142 #2, #3- 148.

Also noticed i do not have a vacuum valve installed or even present at all? can they run right without one?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well. The final answer is 65 psi compression in all 4 cylinders. I blame most of it on the angle the motor was installed. Time for a motor upgrade!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts