Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i've got a 2001 J1 which is giving me a couple of concerns.
1. On start up in the morning, it gives one backfire. I don't use choke as its not that cold (i'm in the UK). Someone said maybe one of the plugs are loose which i'll check, but if anyone has any other ideas i'd be glad to hear them.
2. Theres a bit of creamy sludge in the oil filler cap. How much is acceptable? if any? the bike runs fine and doesn't seem to be loosing any coolant. again, any ideas would be greatfully recieved. cheers guys.

·
Registered
617 Posts
check your plug wires, it sounds as if there is a contact problem. As far as the creamy sludge, that sounds like either a clog breather for the engine or if you make alot of short trips and the engine does not warm up enough, that will cause condensation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your discrition sounds like head gasket or engine breather this would account for the moister on the oil filler. The backfire may be due to moister getting to the plug, or a faulty plug. Might be worth having a comppresion test done.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If the oil still loooks like oil and not like a milkshake your fine - a fair amount of condensation is normal. You should have seen all the nervous posts on the TL site when clear clutch covers got popular:laugh

·
Registered
9 Posts
time to clean your air filter?
time to change the plugs?
time to set your valves?

maybe all of the above?

whats been done/what needs to be done?

sludge is kinda normal, as stated, if the bike doesnt burn it out.....

Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the bike has had recent oil change, about 1000 miles ago and the valves were all checked on last service. Its got a K&N filter which is checked and cleaned once a month. I've not had time to check the spark plugs yet but will do that this afternoon. I use the bike to work which is about a mile away (lazy, i know) so i guess the short journeys are not getting the engine up to temp hence the sludge. the rest of the oil is fine and in good condition. The garage leaks a bit and is damp inside so i think this won't help matters when starting in the morning. I'm going to give it a good run today or tommorow (the suns out!!) so i reckon this will help. thanks for all the replies. big help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
dont think its gonna be ur head gasket iv got a j1 and iv got white stuff in my oil its just condensation dont worry about thatas for ur back fire dose sound like ur plugs hope u sort it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts