Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I don't know if i am in the right place but im looking for some advice I haven't rode my bike much in the last couple of months.

just tried starting it and my bike seems to be cutting out and dying when I pull the throttle ever since I opened my reserve on the tank? could it possibly be old petrol or something playing up as it dies and then runs fine? Just topped up with new petrol and It sounds as if its running out of petrol but its not, whereas on the choke the bike would rev up any suggestions as to what the issue could be ill try attach a video

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like plugged pilot circuits in the carbs. Switching to reserve may have sucked in some debris that gunked things up. If you ride on the choke will it pull ok up into the rev range?

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sounds like plugged pilot circuits in the carbs. Switching to reserve may have sucked in some debris that gunked things up. If you ride on the choke will it pull ok up into the rev range?

Mark
Hi mark thanks for your reply I just took it for a little spin and it rides well up until 5000rpm then stutters and then shoots forward I just blasted it in first gear upto 10000rpm and it seems to be riding OK now but I was riding the bike on reserve but have now switched it to on position don't know if that would make any difference .

Could it be as simple as a blockage that will clear over time or will it need a trip to the garage as it seems the hard riding has cleared it slightly but I'm assuming it can be dangerous if it comes back

Appreciate the time your taking in reading and responding to me cheers

·
Registered
292 Posts

Hi mark thanks for your reply I just took it for a little spin and it rides well up until 5000rpm then stutters and then shoots forward I just blasted it in first gear upto 10000rpm and it seems to be riding OK now but I was riding the bike on reserve but have now switched it to on position don't know if that would make any difference .

Could it be as simple as a blockage that will clear over time or will it need a trip to the garage as it seems the hard riding has cleared it slightly but I'm assuming it can be dangerous if it comes back

Appreciate the time your taking in reading and responding to me cheers
In my experience carbs seldom clean themselves of anything except old gas, but you could certainly ride it a bit and see if it clears. By your description of it stuttering at 5000rpm it may not be plugged pilots because they only control the idle circuit and very small throttle openings, once you are riding on the road and up off idle you are getting onto the needle (and then the main jet when you hammered it) and off the pilots. Have you filled the tank with fresh fuel since it was sitting? It could be as simple as needing to be used a bit with new fuel to clear.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for your reply, I had a full carb clean and balance within the last couple thousand miles. And no I haven't run though fresh petrol just yet I only topped up what was already in there. I was wondering if something such as redex or seafoam could help im guessing its just a case of keep riding it and seeing if it sorts its self out or gets worse then??

Thanks for your help and responding

·
Registered
292 Posts
And no I haven't run though fresh petrol just yet I only topped up what was already in there. I was wondering if something such as redex or seafoam could help im guessing its just a case of keep riding it and seeing if it sorts its self out or gets worse then??
In that case I would say run a couple tanks of fresh fuel and maybe some seafoam (I have no experience with redex) through and see where you are at.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts