Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First post on here.

Ok start of with why i need theses. Im changing my zx6r g2 around and chopping the tail so needed a place for all the electrics. soo thought under the tank behind the airbox would be great....however i would need to re-locate my coils. I then saw a j1 with no coils but wires coming out of the spark plug caps. So i looked into it and saw what you will all tell me is a COP.
I had never seen theses and i want them. Question is if i can find a set with the loom on ebay will this work?
If so what will i need to do. Im guessing i would need to play with a few carb settings after. But a little help would be great before i buy a set and just hold them in my hand, lookimg rather confused.

Cheers.
Dom

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
i dont think the J1 coils will work with your wiring harness unless you modify it to work with the J1 coils. look in the manual and you can find which wire on you current coils go to which wire. it could be possible to wire those things up to the COP harness off a J1 harness or you can get a J1 wiring harness and use that im not sure if everything would match up in regards to electrical fitment. you wouldnt need to mess around with anything since its just the ignition, id be careful if anything requires cutting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the fast reply.
If its just sorting out the wiring loom, i dont mind as im going to shorten it anyway and clean it up but if its not possible i guess ill have to just find a way of mounting my ones.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that i could look at to save me buying a haynes?

Cheers

Dom

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
The G use the old style of coil packs where one coil pack fires two spark plugs, the J model uses individual stick coils in each spark plug tube. The two styles are not interchangeable since they use completely different electronics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess that i couldnt just plug it in and it would work.
my thinking was changing the cdi unit or splitting it so i would have 4 coils not 2.
as far as i knew the g2 and j1 were almost the same. i guessed wrong however if its just the loom. i could always buy one and see were it goes. what i was asking was has any had the same thought or even done this mod however pointless or difficult it would be to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts