Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, can anyone help i have a 97 zx6r f3 and it wont start it has a spark and is getting fuel just a backfire but wont start, thanks:banghead

·
Registered
59 Posts
There's a few things to check for this.
First of all, even if it is getting a spark, the spark may be weak.
So check the battery levels, and make sure that the plugs are clean and not fouled from all the turning over.
Second, make sure that the airbox/air filter is clean and clear.
I know someone with a ZZR who had a problem and found an old rag in the airbox (no it wasn't me :) )!
Check that fuel is getting in in sufficient quantity.
At starting, the pilot jets are the main source of fuel, so make sure that the carbs are clean in general. Also, might be worth checking that you don't have a blocked breather pipe. If after a few turns of the engine with no start, you open the petrol tank cap and it sucks in air audibly, then it may be that a blocked breather pipe is causing a fluid lock.

If you check that much, it will at least eliminate some of the issues a mechanic would investiagte on hunting this down.
Good luck.
A

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ascalon, thanks alot for yr reply i will check those things out, i have recently done a sevice and know the air filter and box are clean and clear i did have that problem myself many years ago on a little 50 i had air box had a rag in it what a plum ha ha, i have ordered a fuel pump relay and ic igniter cheap from ebay hoping it might be an electrical problem but will check the things you advised. Once again thanks alot for yr feed back very helpfull. Manmart

·
Registered
316 Posts
How long has it been standing ?

Is it fresh fuel in the tank if it is re trace what you've done on the service.Thats assuming it was running before hand

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i brought the bike back in Feb, it ran fine until about a month ago when i started getting starting problems, it would give a backfire start but run very rough as if only fireing on 2 cylinders untill it warmed up when it had warmed up it was fine and ran well. about 3 weeks ago i got carbs balanced their was a split manifold rubber that shop replaced a day later i done plugs filters and oil change after that it started fine rode about 20 miles on it left it over night and have not been able to start it since its got a spark and getting fuel just turns over and gives the odd backfire. Thanks to all for feed back and by the way im from UK not US.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can anyone help i am just getting a big backfire when i turn engine over now where do i start??? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem. I tried "pull" starting my bike today while my buddy towed me with his truck. When I let the clutch out in 2nd gear, it did nothing but made a VRMMMMMMMMMMMM sound. It didn't even try to fire up. My gas is good and was turned on. My battery is a bit low and it won't turn over unless I use jumper cables. Any suggestions from anyone?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sounds to me to be an Intake valve problem!. When was the last time they were checked?....do you have a service record from the previous owner?.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the bike for years and I bought from a friend. He never gave me the service record. I have never had the intake vlaves looked at. When I use jumer cables to jump start it, it will just carnk over and makes no attempt to fire up. It has sat for close to a year.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I am having the same problem. I tried "pull" starting my bike today while my buddy towed me with his truck. When I let the clutch out in 2nd gear, it did nothing but made a VRMMMMMMMMMMMM sound. It didn't even try to fire up. My gas is good and was turned on. My battery is a bit low and it won't turn over unless I use jumper cables. Any suggestions from anyone?
Your's sounds like a regulator problem ( no or weak spark )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys, can help me..my 97 zx6r F model using fullsystem but it always backfire when realese throttle?how to fix this prob actually?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hi guys, can help me..my 97 zx6r F model using fullsystem but it always backfire when realese throttle?how to fix this prob actually?
You're running lean, and will eventually damage the engine.
You need bigger main jets (more fuel flowing through at Wide Open Throttle)

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
It may well not be the main jets. While no doubt it is jetting related, there is way too many systems that interact to say "main jet" is the only possible solution.

It is a throttle closed condition, yes?--how in the world will a bigger main jet fix that?
-throttle closed= slide is at the bottom, needle is all the way down inside the needle jet virtually blocking the main jet all together.
The systems still active at that point, the idle mixture screw setting and maybe 1 or 2 of the off idle fuel bleed holes (depending on bike and set up) nothing more, both of these are dependant on the pilot fuel and pilot air jets.

So how clean are your carburetors and what has been done to them?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts