Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I've read many posts on here that seem to be helpful but nothing has resolved my issue. Here's my problem.

I have a 99 G2 zx6r with 55k miles on the clock. After riding for 10 mins she just dies on me, I can sit and wait 10 mins and she will start again. I have checked the power going into the battery from the rectifier and it sits around 14.5, if I turn on the bike light on it jumps up to 14.7-14.8. After a while the revs go up by themselves to around 5k and then it goes down to around 14
As the bike is stood idling the revs will go up and down by themselves, usually sits around 1200 but will jump to 5000. Sometimes as I'm riding the revs will go up and stay up.

To date I have

Changed the rectifier/regulator
Changed coils/HT leads / spark plugs
Air, fuel and oil filter
Fuel pump

I'm at the stage where I'm thinking of sending the poor girl to the scrap yard.

Any advice appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
It's obvious you have fuel, and spark.... the air flow is where I would have questions.

Kinked fuel or vent lines, leaky vacuum lines, old brittle lines, all the places I would start investigating.

The part where it will run for 10 minutes and die-- next time it does that, see if there is a vacuum in the gas tank. Open the cap, and if you hear a whooshing noise, the carbs are starving for fuel due to the vacuum.

Wildly varying idle speed, may be due to vacuum leaks, or clogged jets in carbs, or a combination.

This stuff is sort of a pain to sort out, but it's not impossible. Just needs a logical approach and attention to detail.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Had equal symptoms at one point. Was a vacuum leak on the 3 hoses connecting between the carbs.

It runs cuz the float bowls are full with fuel but can't keep up the supply cuz of lack of suction.

rough idle is something different. Sound like you ride with the choke always on.

make sure all connections between ram air, air box, carbs and emission lines are tight and got no tears or holes. Your fix is probably gonna be under 10 bucks once you found the leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts