Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, please can you help. I've recently brought a 2001 zx6r and after a day or two i tried to red line it, trouble is that when it hits about 11 RPM it seems to slow down instead of going fast!

It does still really slowly creep up to 12-13 rpm but thats after a long wait and by this point the bike sounds as tho it's going to blow up. can anyone think of what is wrong please help, many thanks Jim

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
welcome mate, is the bike stock or been mod? have you checked the plugs?

·
Registered
222 Posts
sounds like some electronics if you have a powercommander your issue might be there if not sounds like an ecu issue or a rev limit block but i really never heard of that before i on a bike my buddy had a similar problem on his car but thats due to the chip that does not allow you to break a certain speed and then after it goes really really slow or another 1,000 rpm higher but then again never heard on something like that happening to a bike.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
sounds like some electronics if you have a powercommander your issue might be there if not sounds like an ecu issue or a rev limit block but i really never heard of that before i on a bike my buddy had a similar problem on his car but thats due to the chip that does not allow you to break a certain speed and then after it goes really really slow or another 1,000 rpm higher but then again never heard on something like that happening to a bike.
2001's are carby so they don't make Power Commanders for them.

What do you mean by it sounds like it's going to blow up? Is it hitting a rev limiter?

·
Registered
483 Posts
most likely your carbs are misadjusted/clogged. do you have a jet kit? i would clean the carbs first and also chech the plugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i had the garage look at the bike. he red lined it when the bike was in neutral so it does go all the way round just seems to be holding back when its going along, i think the bloke is going to change the plugs to see if that helps!
I put some redex through it but i used the petrol injector redex so i'm gussing thats not going to do anything??????

·
Registered
114 Posts
My bike bogs down @ almost full throttle in 6th gear but only sixth gear. I am thinking that the carbs need some cleaning. I assume it does it in 6th because the air flow is so much greater at that speed then in lower gears. Well I really hope thats the case. I bought a jet kit to go with it now I just hope I dont fuck something up when I do it for the first time. BTW do I need a gasket kit or anything when I clean the carbs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your help gents, found out the problem.....the bike was restricted to 33bhp...lol well at least its sorted now, back to full power woo hoo. wish me luck because i thought it went fast before!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Restricted?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah over here in the UK if you've not passed your full bike licsence then you can only ride bigger bikes with them being restricted, i think it had some washers in the exhaust to limit the air flow!!

Just got back after a good ride and boy does she gooooooo!!!! Fun times!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yep, they have several different kinds.
Inlet Manifold Restrictors - Air restriction blade in the carb/throttle body inlet manifold.

Exhaust Restrictors - Typically spot welded into the exhaust manifold.

Main Jet Restrictors - (Self explanatory) Typically on 2 strokes

Throttle Restriction - Device is attached to the side of the injection bodies which stops the throttle cam from opening fully. This is normally combined with restriction blades that go into the air box or sometimes the inlet manifolds.

To be legal these all come with 3 copies of a certificate. Installer signs all 3, one for the installer/dealer, one for the owner, one at FI International in the event an insurance company or "crown prosecution" needs it.

It further requires the owner to acknowledge and sign for 6 points. Won't remove it, yada,yada,yada.

I think it is also only valid if an authorized dealer/installed does the installation.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The uk is shit on legal things like that!

It sucks staying here....its cold,everything is a fortune and you get fucked by the goverment for anything!

·
Registered
243 Posts
cleaning the carbs is not hard. Just pull 'em off, remove all the jets and such, spray some cheap 99cent carb cleaner through all the passages and you'll be much better. May also be a clogged fuel filter, Main jets too small, bad plugs, ignition coils (doubtful though), rust in petcock (hehe, he said petcock), so on and so forth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts