Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, from all the things I have been reading it looks like the 2005 - 2007 ZZR600 has interchangeable parts that fit the 98-02 ZX6R, can someone confirm?

I am specifically interested in the wheels? Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks.

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
i talked to a guy at a dealer about em and he said it was the exact same bike. and...the only difference i've seen in em is the zzr doesnt have the bars coming up and attaching to the mirrors. other than that, everything looks the exact same.

yea, parts should be interchangable

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
think so, everything ive read says it is the same

·
Registered
63 Posts
2000-2002 yes they are the same as 2005-2007 zzr600's
But once you go to the 98-99 there are quite a few things that are different. they aren't major things but they are different.
ex: length of fork. width and spacing of triple clamps front fenders...
A bunch of stupid stuff.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the feedback.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
possible engine swap

hey guys, I'm new to this whole swap thing, but i am wondering if i can put a zzr 1200 motor into an '08 zzr 600 frame? are there many mods that need to be made? is it a straight swap possibly? any help would be appreciated!! thank you

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
My expectation would be no. 1200 cc motor will be bigger, and heavier. Certainly wider and taller, probably longer front to back, as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
is there anything bigger that would bolt up or be able to be swapped with minimal mods? i know it has to be carbureted due to the carburetor and air filter placements on the 600 to fit under the tank... any ideas or experience in this area with this type of thing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
also, id like to replace the rear suspension with one from an '04 zx10r. are they interchangeable? maybe a little shaving of the mounts?

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
..... I don't even know where to begin.

Anything is possible if you throw enough time and money at it.

One man's 'minimal' is another's 'completely impossible'.... a lot of that has to do with time, money, space, and tools.

The cheapest way to put a running motor in that frame is to drop another like unit in there. If you want more power than a fresh motor would make, there are a number of modifications that can be made that will boost HP, but all of them will decrease the life of the motor.

Raising the compression, raising the redline, decreasing the restrictions in the air flow through the motor, valve work (port polish, degree the cams), cam work (racing cams), turbo charging, nitrous.... the list is long, of what CAN be done. Almost all of the mods will be more expensive than the bike is worth.

The reason it's so tough to drop in another bigger displacement motor into the 600 frame is due to the desire to make it as light as possible. The frame is no bigger than it needs to be. The motor is already at or nearly at the maximum bore and stroke it can be. You need a physically bigger block to increase the size of the pistons used. The 09-13 motor, and the 13-present are the same outside dimensions. It's the same motor; the 13+ version has had a stroker crank fitted from the factory. That much work, and it only grew by 36 cc.

They did a bunch of stuff to simplify the design as well... there are only one set of injectors now, compared to the two sets on the 09-12. Very nearly the same motor. Just a bit more power, and a slightly lower redline. More midrange.

If you want to have a more powerful bike, the most sure way to do that is buy one that already makes the power you want. Let the engineering staff at the mfg do the heavy lifting.

The second most sure way, is to build a motor before you drop it into your frame. Have someone like RiversZZR go through it top to bottom and make sure it's right. Someone with a racing/performance background is going to be able to eke out more power than the factory was allowed to, due to the EPA. The more money you spend, the more power you will get. A lot of it's in the details.

If you grab a used motor with an unknown background, and don't even know if it will fit in your frame...... you are going to throw a lot of money at a situation that will end up taking a lot more time and money to make right.

If you DO manage to stuff a motor that weighs quite a bit more in there, how will that affect the suspension? How will the additional power (and weight) affect how much the frame and swing arm flex?

Once you do get it in motion, and get it going too fast, how good are your brakes at dealing with the additional weight and speed?

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
As far as the wheels go...........
2000-2002 ZX6R, 2005-2008 ZZR600 are the same..................also the rear wheel and swingarm off the 03/04 ZX6R (636) is also the same

because there are more difference than many understand from the 00-02zx6r and the 05-08zzr, even though they are mostly the same

as far as more power..........

just get G model cylinders and head- iron sleeved, put in a big bore kit do some port work, a radiused valve job, get the cam timing right and do proper jetting and you could be high teens easily

I have had an F model in here with a zx7r engine but the oe 600 airbox and modified spacing oe 600 carbs on it........... monster midrange but peters out flat at about 9000rpm to redline at 127hp...........
So yes, anything is possible if you want to spend the time and money and have the skills to do so.....................

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, in the process of rebuilding my 98 zx6r g1. Curious if anyone knows the outcome of replacing the 98 zx6r cylinder head with an 05 zzr600 cylinder head?

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
A) A slower bike?
B) A faster bike?

you can let us know?!?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts