Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiyer guys,just wondered iff anybody had any problems with there gear change, i just cannot seem to get it to go into gear sometimes on bike whilst moving. i altered selector position and made no difference. i think i have tracked it down to my boots. iff i wear my cat boots (i know not proper bike boots) gear changes drop in bang on, but iff i wear my new puma 1000 bike boots thats where i have the problems . just wondered iff anyone else had any probs like this and iff so wot they did .i think its cos the leather is a bit soft on top of the boot,as tried mates alpinestars and gear changes no problems.any help would be great as cant afford to buy new boots as only had these 3 weeks.:confused:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hiyer guys,just wondered iff anybody had any problems with there gear change, i just cannot seem to get it to go into gear sometimes on bike whilst moving. i altered selector position and made no difference. i think i have tracked it down to my boots. iff i wear my cat boots (i know not proper bike boots) gear changes drop in bang on, but iff i wear my new puma 1000 bike boots thats where i have the problems . just wondered iff anyone else had any probs like this and iff so wot they did .i think its cos the leather is a bit soft on top of the boot,as tried mates alpinestars and gear changes no problems.any help would be great as cant afford to buy new boots as only had these 3 weeks.:confused:

I had a similar problem Bod, use to have Alpinestar boots and no problems with the gear changes, bought a pair of Sidi and keep dropping the gears.Found that if I lift the heel of the boot onto the peg when shifting theres no probs.Think it is the difference in the size of the heel on the boots.

Or something like that

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for info, guys will try it with the heel option.:)

·
Registered
900 Posts
This kind of problem can happens when the gearshift lever is not at the optimum position for the depth of your boot. When I boughtmy ZX6 I would have defied anyine to carry out a smooth shift, purely because the lever was in such a poor position.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
i have the same prob when i wear runners i have trouble getting 3,4,5,6th gear but when i wear my riding boots they are all smooth gear change! So i dont wear runners while riding anymore

·
Registered
900 Posts
Apparently its all down to the girth Arron.(Of your runners that is..........)...

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have the same problem i just put it down to im a crap rider:rotfl,if i nip out in trainers i get my gears right all the time but as soon as ive got my gear on with sidi boots i get the same problem

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad someone else has had this problem,was starting to worry me.was thinking maybe new rearsets would cure it, but gonna try the heel method,or will beef up selector to compensate for lack forlack of boot girth:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Try playing with the adjustment on the shifter rod that connects your rear-set to the gear-box. You should find a setting that works for the Puma's.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have altered the shifter rods adjustement bar this afternoon,av to wait for bit of decent weather to take her out and see iff any different,as you cant go through box whilst stood still, plus it been raining here for 2 days. CRAPPY ENGLISH WEATHER.Oh to win the lottery and emigrate. :lol

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have this problem when shifting from first to second. Sometimes takes 3 or 4 tries to get it to slip into gear. I think mine is just due to beating the hell out of the transmission/motor. I already had to replace 2nd gear and shift fork and shift drum last summer. Cost me $1400!! At this point, my bike is a total beater and i rip the hell out of it every chance i get! Im planning on buying a new motor this coming spring, so Im going to see just how much more abuse this thing can handle!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts