Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain the difference between a standard zx6r and a 636? how many different models of a zx6r do you get? I understand you get facelift models every few years but I don't know what different types you get for each year of bike.... :O

·
Registered
75 Posts
more cc...

they started a 636 model in 02. Then the standard model in 03-04 was 636. The b1h and b2h

Then from 05-06 it was also 636. but changed quite alot. C1h and C6f.

From 03-06 they did have a 599 model too (Zx6rr). these had different gearbox ratio i think and slightly different suspension and the 03-04 model had a slipper clutch were the 636 didnt.

·
Registered
382 Posts
And on the 02 A1P you get slightly different livery than the 599 all be it very similar. And no birdcage under the windscreen

Reactions: P23UNK

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
First of all, since it is constantly brought up -- the ZX6R is the model designation. You should not refer to the bike by its motor, makes you sound stupid IMO. Know what you're riding and call the ZX6R a ZX6R.

And - the number 636 is motor displacement in CC and is meaningless except to tell you "how big the motor is".

Talking motors only and assuming the US --
Starting in 2003, Kawasaki started making the ZX6R with a 636cc motor.
In 2007, they completely changed the motor design and dropped it to 599cc.
In 2009, motor stayed the same but tuning was changed for much more midrange power.
In 2013, they added 2.4mm stroke / piston to increase displacement to 636cc.

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://zx6r.com/zx6r/50796-complete-zx6-letter-designations.html
http://zx6r.com/zx6r/12802-kawasaki-zx6r-model-designations.html

Do you have any specific questions?

·
Registered
971 Posts
First of all, since it is constantly brought up -- the ZX6R is the model designation. You should not refer to the bike by its motor, makes you sound stupid IMO. Know what you're riding and call the ZX6R a ZX6R.

And - the number 636 is motor displacement in CC and is meaningless except to tell you "how big the motor is".

Talking motors only and assuming the US --
Starting in 2003, Kawasaki started making the ZX6R with a 636cc motor.
In 2007, they completely changed the motor design and dropped it to 599cc.
In 2009, motor stayed the same but tuning was changed for much more midrange power.
In 2013, they added 2.4mm stroke / piston to increase displacement to 636cc.

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://zx6r.com/zx6r/50796-complete-zx6-letter-designations.html
http://zx6r.com/zx6r/12802-kawasaki-zx6r-model-designations.html

Do you have any specific questions?
Well...if you want semantics then I'll just point this out... these bikes don't have MOTORS they have ENGINES. A motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. An Engine is a device that converts chemical energy into mechanical energy. Or another way to think of it is, a Motor consumes energy to make useful work, while an Engine produces energy by consuming a fuel to produce useful work.

I'm just being a smart-ass :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
squawk: "nevermore".

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Well...if you want semantics then I'll just point this out... these bikes don't have MOTORS they have ENGINES. A motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. An Engine is a device that converts chemical energy into mechanical energy. Or another way to think of it is, a Motor consumes energy to make useful work, while an Engine produces energy by consuming a fuel to produce useful work.

I'm just being a smart-ass :D

Nobody asked you 'bout nothin!! :D:

See this is why people don't like engineers :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that clears that up. Thanks for your info everyone. What is everyone's bike of choice out of all those different engines/gearboxes then?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Well that clears that up. Thanks for your info everyone. What is everyone's bike of choice out of all those different engines/gearboxes then?

That depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

The 09-12 is hands down the best track bike.

The 03-06 make for great stunt bikes and are good on the street.

The 13-14 is the best all around and works best on the street due to electronics.

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is true. But also, you can't call what was a zx6r in '00 - '02 a zx6r in '05 - '08 when in fact they are called zzr600 :laugh
Very true, I was confused at first as well. Ive see videos saying that the "race" was not fair because the Zx6R is a 636 instead of a 600, lol. Poor guys just can't accept that they lost to a better bike ?

·
Registered
639 Posts
That depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

The 09-12 is hands down the best track bike.

The 03-06 make for great stunt bikes and are good on the street.

The 13-14 is the best all around and works best on the street due to electronics.
the 07s get ALLLLLLL the babes...:yumyum: :devious

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
You know what they say about opinions..... I have a 2013 ZX6r and it works very well on the track with the electronics( i.e. TC). Thats my opinion....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts