Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am dealing with this problem. I have new chain (d.i.d 520 zvmx) and new jt chain sprockets installed. Chain alignment is done by laser and even swingarm marks match. Chain slack is 1,35 inches (i have tried it to be looser, but it made no differenece to the sound) There is no play in front sprocket bearing, i tried to wiggle it without chain on and the transmission is quiet when i turned motor on and tried all gears without chain on.
What next i should check? What could be reason to this noise or is this normal? Anyway it sounds a kind of supercharger whine while you drive ear plugs on… My Zzr600 also have new chains and it is very quiet. That’s why this bother me very much.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Well if everything is installed properly and you are sure it all looks and is correct....

and did you try having more slack? like enough slack/free play that you can lift the center of the chain under the swingarm up to the back edge of the rubber swingarm protector and just touch...... I think it is about 1 3/4"...... that is how much I always ran on the 05/06 street or track

You did not mention if you did gearing changes and now, is the chain dragging on the rubber swingarm protector on the top at all times........

Go drive it for awhile, several hundred miles and see if the noise goes away.

but JT sprockets are junk and I bet if you put a dial caliper to them you would find runout of more than .050"

Reactions: Throttleman

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! Yeah if i pull up the chain in the middle of the sprockets it will touch the chain guide. Anyway i am going to loose it a bit more and see what it does.

The sound is more apparent at higher gears and low speeds. With higher speeds and harder acceleration the noise is almost gone. Also the sound pitch gets higher along with speed. Bike shifts like a dream, no symptoms there.

If the chain loosening and a couple of hundred miles ride doesn’t diminish the noise, would the next be trying another sprockets? What do you think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for your reply! Yeah if i pull up the chain in the middle of the sprockets it will touch the chain guide. Anyway i am going to loose it a bit more and see what it does.

The sound is more apparent at higher gears and low speeds. With higher speeds and harder acceleration the noise is almost gone. Also the sound pitch gets higher along with speed. Bike shifts like a dream, no symptoms there.

If the chain loosening and a couple of hundred miles ride doesn’t diminish the noise, would the next be trying another sprockets? What do you think?
You didn't answer riverzzr's first question.. What do you mean it will touch the chain guide? It sounds like you have way to much slack in the chain. When the rear wheel is lifted from the bike being up on stands, lift up on it half way between the sprockets. That is where you should have 1.5-1.75 of travel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The chain slack what i have measured is half way between the sprockets under the swingarm when bike is on the stand.

What i mean about chain touching the chain quide: When i push upwards as much as the chain goes (in the middleway between sprockets), the chain can slightly touch the chain guide under the swing arm. And the slack measure is 1,35 inches, so i will loosen it a bit.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Did you install a smaller teeth count front sprocket and the chain is now dragging on the swingarm protector.... on the top, at all times?

I suspect it is simply too tight, but I have seen people not clean all the junk out of the c/s sprocket cover and have the chain drag through that shit and make weird noise, and I have seen them wear through the swingarm protector and literally cut into the aluminum swingarm and that makes a whining noise at speed (and throws shiny aluminum all over inside the c/s sprocket cover area)

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it is normal size sprocket (15 teeth). Sprocket cover is clean and chain guide is a little bit worn but just a little. Tomorrow i will loosen that chain a bit. I will inform you does it make difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You were right, riverszzr. I adjusted chain slack a little bit over 1,5 inches. 40mm in our measurement scale. Now the chain noise diminished a great deal, almost quiet now. I ordered oem front sprocket, i think it might finish the case to perfection. You don’t know how much i have struggled with this problem so i don’t know can i ever thank you enough! Cheers man! You made my day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts