Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my motorcycle & i hope someone might have a hint what might be wrong.
I did a detailed cleaning/washing of the motorcycle a few days ago, removed the lower fairing, removed out excess grease, polished the exhaust pipes etc...

I did not start it for a day, and when i went for a ride today it has power loss on low RPM's on all gears.
On one instance it did not want to start at first - took me a few tries to get it up and running.
Battery/spark plugs are brand new, new chain (500km) & motorcycle is overall maintained really well - there were no prior issues.

Any help/idea would be really appreciated where to start looking at.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
It could be a lot of things.
Was it running fine before u washed it?
Does it get better after a few minutes of riding?
How much power loss are u talking about?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, everything was fine before the wash.
It is the same even after it warms up for 20+min.
It is not significant, it chugs up for 2-3 secs if i'm below 4k RPM.

I will remove the lower fairing tomorrow & see if any wire detached or something similar, but i think there should be no direct problems underneath.

Most concerning part is that it didn't want to start from the first try as it never happened before in 2 years & i am sure it is related to the this problem.

Thanks for reply Scorpio!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, I've had a similar problem with my bike after washing, I never wash it and the one day I did it ran like garbage and misfired.
I always wipe it down now.
Anyways it tried to dry it over a few days, didn't work.
I changed the spark plugs and inspected the coils, and it runs like a sewing machine now.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Also check the kickstand sensor. There have been a few cases where its loose or dirty and the vibrations will cause poor contact inside and make the bike sputter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah agree with Scorpi0.. check your kickstand switch and double check your gas cap.. if you get water in the tank your bike won't love you for it..

Did you use a power hose /high pressure water on your bike ? Check your contacts under the tank if you did.. dry them out with compressed air. I wouldn't recommend using WD40 while you are down there.. I learned that the hard way..

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
If you washed the bike with the fairings off, there is a chance you got the spark plug boots wet. The way they seat so deep into the cover, there is a very good chance of capturing ware there. If the boots or seals are old, water can leak past and cause the plugs to ground out.

Any electrical connection you take apart, get in the habit of flooding the connector with dielectric grease before you put it back together. It's a one time thing, that will simplify your life later. The grease will stop water getting to the metal and causing corrosion, which is not conductive. When you see those plastic covered quick disconnects that have obviously gotten hot.... it's because the contacts have corrosion on them which has higher resistance than the design calls for. The extra power that has to flow to meet the need, causes heat in that corrosion.

WD-40 is, in fact, Water Displacing formula #40. It will get between metal and water and provide a barrier much like dielectric grease. It may not solve an electrical problem, but it's unlikely to make it worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replies everyone!

I only removed the lower fairing as i wanted to remove all excessive grease & to clean the fairing itself from the inside. I use a regular weak water hose so i don't damage the plastics etc.

I re-checked all the wiring, it looked like everything is in place, i just mingled it around a bit.

I let the bike dry for 2 more days just in case there was some moist left-over.

I took two rides since & bike looks like it's working as before.

Thanks for help everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts