Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Y'all....

So obviously like others I am taking a page out of Mister ONDs book with his idea to have his own maintenance thread. Well...I am not nearly as good or skilled as he is with a bike or a camera, or writing.

That being said....I would still like to have this thread and post up pics of my maintenance as well as future track build I will start with my 05'

To start....I am on my 5th ZX6r (I know...crazy) and the 05' I picked up at the end of last summer with 12k miles and I practically parked her and did zero maintenance since I had a broken foot.

(See following link for that story... http://zx6r.com/build-thread/59393-zx6ixxer-636-re-build-pic-heavvvyyy.html)

Well...here is a pic of the bike...

I am skipping around a bit so I do apologies in advance...I already did an oil change in January so you will all have to bare with me before I post pics/details on another oil change

Decided to start with Spark plugs and a new air filter because it was downright dirty...:crazy

Tank off...sorry no details/pics on the process to get your tank off...

Well loookee here :cool3: ...yessir NGK CR9E and K&N air filter :yes

Lets get this bad boy off (Air box...)

Some of you may have noticed something odd on my frame where the airbox connects....can anybody guess what this is? :O

Lets put it this way....you really don't want to know....

Yes.....my friends...there was a beehive colony taking free residence in my airbox :dowhat

Well...I evicted them :2fingerlol:

And wallah....cleaned up frame/airbox :cool3:

Unfortunately I seem to have lost some "Bee" power....guess my bikes not a superbee aymore :O

Time to move forward to my spark plugs :)

Wait a second....holy crap...fellas fellas look what I found!....check it out! :butbut:
Could it be.....a MANUAL! :devious

Well....NGK come pregapped....but its always a good idea to check your gaaping...in my case the manual states it should be between 0.7-0.8mm....they were all spot on in that range.

The plugs were nasty :oops: (I will let you all guess which one was the new plug)

Well....cylinder 1 spark plug was a bit of a pain since I was missing my toolkit which has the swivel ratchet to get the in the cylinder on the small angle....but I made it work. Took about 10 minutes for that one plug. The other 3 took a total of....say idk about 3 minutes :laugh

Anyhows....re installed everything and put the airbox back on. Time for the new filter

Yup...she was dirty alright

All assembled

Remember all that "superbee" power I lost?...well folks....despair not...I got a K&N sticker! all is well in the world ;)

All put back together in time to meet its new sibling :D

Well....all done on my tune up for today...obviously there is more to do (i.e. coolant flush, brake fluid, new EBC HH pads, track fairings.....stay tuned)

Too be continued....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Damn that's crazy a wasp nest in an airbox :dowhat When I first saw the pic it looked like bondo or something else.

I remember watching a bee crawling into the fairing mount holes and a hole in the engine looking for a spot for a nest on my bike. Never seen that before.

Best of luck on the build/maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn that's crazy a wasp nest in an airbox :dowhat When I first saw the pic it looked like bondo or something else.

I remember watching a bee crawling into the fairing mount holes and a hole in the engine looking for a spot for a nest on my bike. Never seen that before.

Best of luck on the build/maintenance.
Yeah tell me about it....I remember when I picked it up I kept seeing bees/wasps hanging around my bike...I thought maybe it was just random or a sweet chemical they caught a wiff of...now I know what those bastards were really doing :dowhat

Funny.....I must have toasted them when I rode and lucky I did not get stung....because I once got stung in my helmet while riding....was not fun I tell ya :coocoo

And thanks.....I'm not a super mechanic...but I can do basic maintenance...I think :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some of you may have noticed something odd on my frame where the airbox connects....can anybody guess what this is? :O

Lets put it this way....you really don't want to know....

Yes.....my friends...there was a beehive colony taking free residence in my airbox :dowhat

Well...I evicted them :2fingerlol:
Wait! Does that come stock from the factory? I was always wondering why all these bikes sound like bees buzzing :)

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, i thought you were being sarcastic in your other post....you really did have a bee hive in there.. damn.
Hahahah....no jokes buddy....it was for real :laugh

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to do this maintenance myself just been avoiding it. Who knows what is in my bike.
Ha! I avoided it since last summer....but that was because I couldnt even walk..let alone ride.

Tune her up mate :)

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well fellas...the quest continues.....I was aiming to prep my bike for a trackday on April 26 at NJMP...still missing some parts but I think I will make it :D

Ahhhhh there she is :cool

Let strip her :yumyum:

Did a little brake job here....new EBC HH pads all around and bled the system

My Trustee catch system

I stole a tip from STG.....before compressing the caliper pistons to fit the new pads I cleaned up the caliper a bit then cracked open the bleeder valve and pushed the piston in...much easier then I have done in the past! :bigthumb:

Yes....yes...I know the caliper looks dirty, but inside and the pistons are cleaned

Hard to capture a picture of the crud that came out of the bleeder valve just from pushing the piston in...not even from bleeding brakes...glad I followed STG's tip

Next up.....tires....I decided to try my luck and ordered the Venom Bead Breaker and Tire Balancer from Amazon...with some spoons and rim protectors..all in was like $150ish I think

All assembled in under a half hour

Wish I took more pics of this process but I will tell you....was a PITA since it was my first time and I am still nervous that I may not have gotten it right :(

All done

OKAY.....Track Fairings...I will try my best to give a review/write up. I need to take more pics....

Front Fender: (9/10)

Not hard to line up right at all....

Tail: (5/10)

Was a royal PITA to get on right...and mine is still not right. I will say...if you do not have a dremel or the correct tools this will be a nightmare. I also want to note it is very stiff and not flexible, already have a crack in it just from trying to mount it (Or maybe I am just a noob at track fairings). Several Points were just "wrong" on the mold. I will edit this post later for finer details

Front Fairing (7/10)
......I thought this would be the hardest..and honestly the tail was worse! I gave it 7/10 because it was still off on some points but you can make it work and its a bit more flexible. There was one major issue which I spoke to hotbodies about who claim its very rare...the mold by the windscreen has excessive fiberglass (Almost like goosebumps) and the windcreen wont sit flush. I am still working on a work around...

But...all in all it does mount and line up decently so I do not have major complaints on this part...yet

I still need to mount my windscreen, and bottom oil catch fairing.

For paint I wanted to go white with green decals. BUt....I think I will run it this weekend unpainted..too lazy for now haha

To be continued....

Reactions: DatNyerr

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol I think it's an optional feature .how long Was the bike sitting zx6ixxer
By me? just a few months....from PO...no idea :O

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Almost done! Just gotta fit the windscreen :D

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well folks....I never finished up my hotbodies fairing review (I will soon..promise) but I did finish assembling it in time for my trackday at NJMP this past Sunday (Was pretty fun....just on edge the whole time)

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well folks.....been awhile but I decided to do some maintenance and upgrades before my track day in early March at Jennings :D

Let the pics begin..... ;)

Forks off:

Well.....it was nice out so decided to do a full tune up which included spark plugs, oil change, and cleaned/oiled the K&N air filter.

17,000 miles on the clock.....I bought it with about 12k last year.....not bad...not bad

Stripped ;)

Dirty....

Time to change that air intake temp sensor...it threw an FI code over the summer...I don't recall the # but if anyone needs I can check.

Spark Plugs (NGK CR9E)....always check the gap....3/4 were spot on. One was at .6mm....had to gap it to .7-.8

Buttoned up.....waiting to ship my forks out to get redone

Sleep tight :/

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well folks...I shipped my forks out to a buddy of mine who we race with to get a service, new springs for my weight (1.00kg) and ohlins 20mm revalving :D

Before I forget...I was not a big fan of my bridgestone BT-016pros that I used last season...I would say I had over 50% tread life left....after 4k miles and 5 track days....weird. They were also made in 2012 so a tad old.....anyways I decided to try a set of Bridgestone RS10's :D

Forks are here :banana

mmmmmmmm

Let's get right to it then shall we :D

Those ohlins....mmm (internals that is...)

Tire change....PITA for some reason, last time was a bit easier...also had to balance them (obviously). Funny enough the front did not need any weights...was spot on balanced :) rear needed a couple of grams....nothing much.

Something about the look of stickers on new tires :devious

All buttoned up and ready to rollllll

Jennings here we comeeeee :D

Well folks...that's pretty much it...for now. I'd like to buy a new set of rotors/pads but it will cost me....so probably later in the season, new gearing too

Reactions: trackdayhero

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice! Hope you have a good year!
Thanks TDH, likewise! (I know you will :devious)

I can't wait to upgrade my brakes (Rotors/Pads/lines/clean calipers), I think i'd like to get the rear shock redone as well when I can. I'm looking forward to this season :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts