Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

So I've been researching for days now and cant find a thread about interchangable parts on a zx636 05 and zx10r 05.

Basically, I currently have a zx636 05 c1h, in my eyes its the prettiest sportiest model of all the ninjas. However, the time has come and I need more power!!
So im looking at getting a zx10r 05, however im not a fan of the headlights, tail fairing or side exhaust.

So my questions are;
Can you straight up swap the nose cones and/or tail fairing?
Do the bikes have the same headers/manifolds? If so, in theory could you take a full zx636 05 underseat exhaust system and mount it straight onto the zx10r 05? If not, any ideas how much a custom link pipe would cost in the uk? So I could simply 'slip on' an akro zx636 05 slip-on?

Thanks in advance. Useful replies only please. I know it would only be for looks/could reduce power, but I dont give a s**t. Im in love with the zx636 looks and you cant put a 10r engine in one unfortunately!

·
Registered
114 Posts
The best way to go about this, in my opinion, is to find a complete 636 donor bike, and graft the entire rear subframe onto the ZX10R. You might have to make some brackets to get it to fit just right, or cut off the mounting points and weld on new ones. This would get you the tail fairing, and the bosses for mounting the under tail exhaust. Routing of the pipe through the swingarm would be tricky - the ZX10R has no provision for this, so you might end up going out the right side and then back in between the forward and aft foot pegs. I'm sure a decent custom exhaust shop could make something that works, but it likely wouldn't be cheap.

Regarding the headlight and front fairing, the simplest approach is probably to graft the entire fairing from the 636 onto the ZX10R, trimming the intake duct as needed to get it to fit. A skilled body guy could probably do this if he were properly motivated.

Short answer: How good are you at body work? If you're skilled at fabrication of plastic and fiberglass, I suspect that this is doable. Otherwise, I think I'd be looking at different bikes, if the look of the ZX10R doesn't do it for you. The CBR1000RR of that vintage has the undertail exhaust, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
162 Posts
^This

Or you could look at 06-07 10R. Undertail pipes and a sleeker design. All though it would be even trickier to swap some 05 parts onto that model. Unless you also like the 07-08 6R's lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts