Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:O:OI have an 07 zx6 with 30k miles..well I took it out for the first ride of the year a month ago and it was down on power all day..a 250 could have outran me.. brought it home and it was still rideable just not much power at all... well I checked my plugs since they were the factory plugs with 30k on them..looked decent but changed them any ways with ngk iridium.. didn't help..took my fuel tank off and noticed a crap ton of rust in the tank and the pump... well I took the pump apart and cleaned everything and put it back together and then it gets weird... it ran 50 times worse..if I gave it any gas it just sputtered and cut off... then I took it back apart and replaced the pump and filter and lined the tank.. cleaned the fuel lines throttle bodies and injectors with them removed... still same thing... I bought some throttle bodies and primary injectors and put them on today and it seemed to help a little but still sputters and has no power.... its getting spark on all four cylinders and the only code being thrown is 34 for the stupid butterfly valve... I am literally stumped as to what could be the issue...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Used fuel pump or new? Try running some sea-foam thru the fuel system, could have some gummy deposits.

·
Registered
971 Posts
might be battery/charging issue. check the charging system. easy to cross of the list
Yea check your electrical system as well, also hows your air filter?

Hey Taizer, I see your from Warren area, you should PM me, there is a few of us on here that ride together in the area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I tested the pressures on both of my fuel pumps... one was at 15 psi the other didn't read any..gonna buy a new pump and try that... but what's weird is I can pull out a spark plug and it'll be wet with fuel...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a very similar issue a few days ago, my flue line from the tank to the fuel isolation valve was twisted nearly shut after having the tank off and on again. Fixed that and then it happened again - the second time was my stupidity as I had run out of petrol. I switched to the reserve tank and off she went. Could be an issue of the engine being starved of fuel for some issue. Check fuel lines/filter are not blocked and that your isolation valve hasn't been knocked to the half shut position. :thumbup:

I just read your full post and realised you are way ahead of me. My bad. Good luck with the issue though!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
:O:OI have an 07 zx6 with 30k miles..well I took it out for the first ride of the year a month ago and it was down on power all day..a 250 could have outran me.. brought it home and it was still rideable just not much power at all... well I checked my plugs since they were the factory plugs with 30k on them..looked decent but changed them any ways with ngk iridium.. didn't help..took my fuel tank off and noticed a crap ton of rust in the tank and the pump... well I took the pump apart and cleaned everything and put it back together and then it gets weird... it ran 50 times worse..if I gave it any gas it just sputtered and cut off... then I took it back apart and replaced the pump and filter and lined the tank.. cleaned the fuel lines throttle bodies and injectors with them removed... still same thing... I bought some throttle bodies and primary injectors and put them on today and it seemed to help a little but still sputters and has no power.... its getting spark on all four cylinders and the only code being thrown is 34 for the stupid butterfly valve... I am literally stumped as to what could be the issue...
Time to check inside your airbox, and see what decided to winter over in there. Critters will move in and set up nests, there's a good chance you have an intake chock full of crud....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already checked the air box for critters lol.. But I think my regulator may be bad..so ima see if I have my other spare fuel pump parts and see if there is a regulator in there I can use... I just wanna ride!! �������� Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well changed my fuel pressure regulator inside the pump assembly..tested my pressure and had 43 psi right where it should be..started it runs great..so its fixed now.... finally!!!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Good job sticking with it. It's always so satisfying to run stuff like that to ground, knowing you have mastered at least part of what makes the bike go.

Congrats!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I shoulda kept my mouth closed...I jinxed myself. My pump started acting up again last night. I've cleaned it twice so far, new pump is on order as we speak. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts