Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any one can shed some light on my problem, I've changed the stator and rectifier tested both the outputs are what they need to be according to manual. Now when the ignition is off the battery is reading 12.85v then when I turn ignition on it reads 12.50v and when I start it up it drops to 12.08v It is a stunt bike and has had the ignition moved plus a few other bits but I've gone through it fuse by fuse and for the life of me cannot find the draw. anyone have any idea what my next step could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
Voltage doesn't tell the whole story...... When the bike is running, the voltage at the battery should be higher than your at rest number. It's most likely not a 'draw' problem, as much as it is an incomplete circuit. If you get near 14 vdc at the rectifier/regulator out out with the bike running, that should be the same, in the battery terminals.

People tend to ignore the negative side of the circuit...... You have a good chance of having a bad ground connection. Take the negative wire off the battery, clean up the metal, then keep working your way back towards the frame. Take every connection apart and get all the corrosion off. Bright shiny metal. Flows current much better than nasty gunked up contacts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleared up the ground connections and seems to be no problem there, it’s a new battery as well

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
If the voltage at the battery does not go up with the bike running.... It's not charging. If you think some other circuit is shorted out, causing that low voltage, start pulling fuses one by one, while you monitor the battery voltage. Does the bike have HID head lights?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the voltage at the battery does not go up with the bike running.... It's not charging. If you think some other circuit is shorted out, causing that low voltage, start pulling fuses one by one, while you monitor the battery voltage. Does the bike have HID head lights?

No Hid, stator and rectifier now hard wired in pulled all fuses and not much difference on the draw.

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
So it's much more likely to be an open circuit on the charging path. most likely between the R/R and the battery. There should be a fusible link in the main battery cable.... did you check the cables for continuity?

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Is the OP only stating that while the starter button is depressed and the starter actively engaged the voltage drops to 12.08V........... because if so- nobody cares because you have no issue!

If you have a standing charge of 12.85v you have the best battery in the world that is new and fully charged to optimum (will few exceptions as there are 12v batteries that will hold more)

if you turn on the ignition and voltage drops......duh...... you just engaged several electrical systems and 12.5 at this point is still perfectly normal, acceptable and perfectly fine......

if you then hit the starter button and it drops further still to even into the 11's........again duh.... the starter requires power to turn the engine over

so the only real question is............ When the engine is idling what is output to the battery? and when the engine is at about 4000 rpms what is output to the battery?
if these are anything around 14.0v it sounds like you have no issues at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the OP only stating that while the starter button is depressed and the starter actively engaged the voltage drops to 12.08V........... because if so- nobody cares because you have no issue!

If you have a standing charge of 12.85v you have the best battery in the world that is new and fully charged to optimum (will few exceptions as there are 12v batteries that will hold more)

if you turn on the ignition and voltage drops......duh...... you just engaged several electrical systems and 12.5 at this point is still perfectly normal, acceptable and perfectly fine......

if you then hit the starter button and it drops further still to even into the 11's........again duh.... the starter requires power to turn the engine over

so the only real question is............ When the engine is idling what is output to the battery? and when the engine is at about 4000 rpms what is output to the battery?
if these are anything around 14.0v it sounds like you have no issues at all

exactly why i put this as there is no problem until actually running the voltage drops to 12.8v and also at 4000rpm

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
OKay, then what is ACV output coming out of the stator itself? unplug it and check ACV output @ about 4000 rpms of each of the three phases

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found the problem was a burnt out earth block and a few other corroded wires, thanks for the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts