Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is why it's good that manufacturers offer a variety of options. Personally I'm exactly the opposite. I absolutely love the twins and also V4s. I'm not a fan of the whining noise of the I4 engines, especially the 600s. Sure I'm on my 3rd ZX6R now and also had a CBR600 in the past, but I never cared for the sound of them and the way they make power. I have one now because it's a race bike and I wanted to race middleweight classes again. They're fast and they're still fun to ride, but I would never consider an I4 600 as a street bike...in fact the only other I4 bike I would want to own is a new generation R1, and that's simply because they sound badass, and unlike any other whiny I4. As a street bike, I would only look at V-twins or parallel twins. MT-07, RS660, several of the Ducati Monsters made in the last 12 years, KTM 690 or 790, etc.
It’s definitely to each their own and I am happy the manufacturers make different bikes for different riders, I just hate to see them discontinue a product. The R6 isn’t selling as well? Cool, don’t make as many but still offer it. Same with the ZX-6R. I like what Kawasaki did with the ZX25R, and it looks like it’s selling well.

·
Director of Moderation
7,523 Posts
It’s definitely to each their own and I am happy the manufacturers make different bikes for different riders, I just hate to see them discontinue a product. The R6 isn’t selling as well? Cool, don’t make as many but still offer it. Same with the ZX-6R. I like what Kawasaki did with the ZX25R, and it looks like it’s selling well.
Agreed. But they go the direction of where it makes most sense in terms of profits. And if they're not allowed to sell a model in certain markets because they don't meet emissions, then they're forced to discontinue them. It sucks for us motorheads. We are a minority for sure. The R6 is still being sold, but only as a race bike, directly from Yamaha. Perhaps Kawasaki will do the same too, at least for a while.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I wouldnt be surprised if kawasaki eliminates the zx6 and makes a brand new bike to fit into the new set of world supersport rules. We could see a triple or even a big bore twin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 ZX6R
100 Posts
Triple Kawi? Sign me up.

The R9 sounds like it could fill my updated Daytona needs but I can't get over how great the R1/MT10 sound, same with the RSV4 and Tuono, I just don't think its in the cards for me maintanence wise to own an Aprilia.

From what I've been reading and hearing from past owners is that you'll be waiting quite awhile for parts if shit hits the fan and things like valve check/adjustments will cost quite a bit if taking to a shop.

Saw some guys having issues with their Aprilia's and the software its running needed to be reset and updated if its bugging out which can only be done at a dealer... makes me really not want to dip my toes into that and keep it simple with Japanese.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
There is rumour of a ZX4R. Fingers crossed. We tried to get the ZX25R in this country. Kawasaki told the dealers they'd bring it in if people put down deposits (which they did) and then someone pulled the pin on the whole thing. Sucks balls. But then the ZX25R would have cost as much as a ZX6R so kind of ridiculous. Guessing it'll be the same if the ZX4R ever eventuates.

Reactions: Goody

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Triple Kawi? Sign me up.

The R9 sounds like it could fill my updated Daytona needs but I can't get over how great the R1/MT10 sound, same with the RSV4 and Tuono, I just don't think its in the cards for me maintanence wise to own an Aprilia.

From what I've been reading and hearing from past owners is that you'll be waiting quite awhile for parts if shit hits the fan and things like valve check/adjustments will cost quite a bit if taking to a shop.

Saw some guys having issues with their Aprilia's and the software its running needed to be reset and updated if its bugging out which can only be done at a dealer... makes me really not want to dip my toes into that and keep it simple with Japanese.
Exactly why I haven't bothered with the RS660. Way too buggy and I believe that motor is right on the limit (100HP from 660cc twin?). I'd love to have one but my logical brain says otherwise. Heck I saw one riding down the road yesterday when I was jumping on my 675 and had to grumble to myself "MUST wait till the R9 is released!" Lol

Reactions: PhotoAl

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Agreed. But they go the direction of where it makes most sense in terms of profits. And if they're not allowed to sell a model in certain markets because they don't meet emissions, then they're forced to discontinue them. It sucks for us motorheads. We are a minority for sure. The R6 is still being sold, but only as a race bike, directly from Yamaha. Perhaps Kawasaki will do the same too, at least for a while.
Kawasaki have already been doing this in other markets.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I wouldnt be surprised if kawasaki eliminates the zx6 and makes a brand new bike to fit into the new set of world supersport rules. We could see a triple or even a big bore twin.
If it's anything like the Ninja 650, it'll be a complete bore...

Reactions: riverszzr

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
Exactly why I haven't bothered with the RS660. Way too buggy and I believe that motor is right on the limit (100HP from 660cc twin?). I'd love to have one but my logical brain says otherwise. Heck I saw one riding down the road yesterday when I was jumping on my 675 and had to grumble to myself "MUST wait till the R9 is released!" Lol
A few of my customers purchased RS660's............ one already sold it---he needed a entire engine replacement in sub 1000 miles (Aprilia did not even want the dealer to disassemble and see what it needed, just shipped a new engine and did the swap and shipped the old one back to aprilia to do their own "investigation/cover-up)

another has his sitting at the dealership waiting on said engine exchange.....same sound and problem as the other guy, bike has been there for nearly 2 months now........

the last one has been racing and doing trackdays without issue

I had ridden all 3 and while they were not as quick or as fast as my ZZR (108WHP) they were so far superior to an SV or FZ/MT pile o shit it isn't even close......... one of them did go to one of those "free" dyno run deals some dealership hosted...... 93WHP in bone stock trim....... compare that to the mid 60's the SV650 and FZ/MT07/R7 make in bone stock trim and that is a huge starting advantage
fyi....... SV650's and the yamahalaughable 07's all blow up routinely at anything over 90WHP--- the very best twins class bikes on the grids the past several years were only about 90whp, but most were really in the mid/upper 80's to keep them together

·
Registered
2020 ZX6R
100 Posts
A few of my customers purchased RS660's............ one already sold it---he needed a entire engine replacement in sub 1000 miles (Aprilia did not even want the dealer to disassemble and see what it needed, just shipped a new engine and did the swap and shipped the old one back to aprilia to do their own "investigation/cover-up)

another has his sitting at the dealership waiting on said engine exchange.....same sound and problem as the other guy, bike has been there for nearly 2 months now........

the last one has been racing and doing trackdays without issue

I had ridden all 3 and while they were not as quick or as fast as my ZZR (108WHP) they were so far superior to an SV or FZ/MT pile o shit it isn't even close......... one of them did go to one of those "free" dyno run deals some dealership hosted...... 93WHP in bone stock trim....... compare that to the mid 60's the SV650 and FZ/MT07/R7 make in bone stock trim and that is a huge starting advantage
fyi....... SV650's and the yamahalaughable 07's all blow up routinely at anything over 90WHP--- the very best twins class bikes on the grids the past several years were only about 90whp, but most were really in the mid/upper 80's to keep them together
Any customers bring in a Tuono or RSV4 to you rivers? I’m so hell bent on owning a V4 or if it was that terrible to own one I’d settle for the CP4 engine from Yamaha.

I’ve been trying to do some research on the reliability of Aprilias V4 but it’s kinda half really love it and half really like to dog on it, I guess that might just be the situation for any bike though as you’re always going to have someone who hates it.

·
Registered
Rossi Leg Dangler
245 Posts
As a screaming I4 & Yamaha CP4 fan boy this makes me sad but I think it is possible. I would like to keep my ZX6 forever as it was my first. Maybe picking up a spare engine isn’t a bad idea after all for me… I do agree it is actually more difficult to ride a screaming 6 as you have to manage your revs. The Crossplane just rips off the line. But the challenge is actually really part of the fun. 600 riders beating squid liter bike owners gives me a big grin. I hope they can sort the emissions and keep the production coming. Without the R6 the ZX6 is really the one now.

·
Registered
Rossi Leg Dangler
245 Posts
The ZX6 even if turned track day duty only. Which it very well might for me, has a solid place in the stable 🐎. Solid machines.

·
Registered
Rossi Leg Dangler
245 Posts
Any customers bring in a Tuono or RSV4 to you rivers? I’m so hell bent on owning a V4 or if it was that terrible to own one I’d settle for the CP4 engine from Yamaha.

I’ve been trying to do some research on the reliability of Aprilias V4 but it’s kinda half really love it and half really like to dog on it, I guess that might just be the situation for any bike though as you’re always going to have someone who hates it.
They sound so good but the CP4 does too. Please ride a CP4 and then tell me how you feel 😉. You won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
2020 ZX6R
100 Posts
They sound so good but the CP4 does too. Please ride a CP4 and then tell me how you feel 😉. You won’t be disappointed.
Think they will update the MT10 or even give us the SP model this year?

Hope all has been going well for you with your MT10!

·
Registered
Rossi Leg Dangler
245 Posts
Think they will update the MT10 or even give us the SP model this year?

Hope all has been going well for you with your MT10!
I think it’s a strong possibility esp with every other bike in the lineup received a facelift. If fhe SP comes to the USA I probably will be looking to trade mine on one eventually. It’s that good. Thanks man! Same to you! Hope you’ve been getting lots of rides in before the winter 😁

·
Registered
8,231 Posts

Just some of the older variants, nothing from the past 4 or 5 model years......
nothing of note with them as far as issues or complaints on any of those

Reactions: RJ2112 and Tills

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
21 - 37 of 37 Posts