Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ZZR-600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard a horrible rumor from a friend that the ZX-6R is going the same way as Yamaha’s YZF-R6, ie, being discontinued soon. I hope this is false.

Any of you heard about this?

Cheers
jcmuirkw

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Yeah, they don't sell them in Europe/UK as they don't meet Euro5. Only a matter of time...

·
Registered
2005 ZZR-600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it’s time to buy one before it’s too late! Though my 2005 will never die.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's no rumor, Euro 5 has taken another Model off our showroom floors.
Had it with the ZX9R , ZZR600, ZZR1100, ZZR1200 GPZ500S, ER5 to name a few in the UK that fell under the Euro Emissions Hammer.
It will only get worse.
On a Brighter note you can purchase a 2022 ZX6R from India 👀
2022 ZX6R

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's no rumor, Euro 5 has taken another Model off our showroom floors.
Had it with the ZX9R , ZZR600, ZZR1100, ZZR1200 GPZ500S, ER5 to name a few in the UK that fell under the Euro Emissions Hammer.
Is there any chance of some of that being rolled back now that you are free of the EU commie suprastate?

Mark

·
Director of Moderation
7,523 Posts
I haven't heard anything announced by Kawasaki, but it wouldn't surprise me. Like others said, they can't sell it in Europe because emissions, so it's probably just a matter of time until it gets discontinued. I just hope they do like Yamaha did, and continue to make it as race bike only. Granted the new Yamaha R6 is freakin expensive for what it comes with, but at least it's still an option.

·
Registered
2006 ZZR 600
40 Posts
If Kawasaki wanted to further develop the bike they could. The 600 super sport class use to be a big chunk of the market. I would have to believe that declining sales are going to be the deciding factor if Kawasaki wants to keep selling it. Perhaps if Yamaha sells a large number of R7’s sport bikes may become popular again. With adventure bikes taking a big market share right now it’s not looking good.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Even in the racing world 600 super sport class is shrinking. Watching MotoAmerica the Twins Cup is quite popular. Have to think the 600s days are limited or will be expanded to a wider grouping of bikes like World Supersport is doing.

Think ADV bikes have cooled a bit and the excitement in them is in the smaller versions like the T700 and similar bikes not to mention the 300 to 400 cc smaller ADV bikes.

Seems like inexpensive bikes that are fun to just hop on and go ride without having the race ergos and a real seat are popular.

Sad situation as I really like the 600 class sport bikes even as I have moved on as I wanted to do more touring. Still looking for the perfect bike: ZX6R 636 with a comfy seat a bit more relaxed ergos and a couple of smaller sidecases. Even my "midsized" bike is very close to 500 pounds. IMO nothing like a 600 to hop on and go for a fun ride on my favorite twisty road. There are faster/more powerful bikes but the 600s combine light weight, nimble handling and enough power to get in serious trouble on the street but not so much it can't be utilized nicely on a good twisty road.

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
When the Euro 4 emissions standard was called out, that really made a mark on the I4 600cc format. From what I remember reading about it, the cylinder volume is The limiting factor. For whatever reason, bigger cylinders mean more complete/efficient combustion.

All the corporations want to build one model that can be sold in all markets.... A 'world bike'.

The handwriting was on the wall; which is why we're seeing more triples and twins with slightly larger displacement, that come close to the same power. Depending on how you define close.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
600cc bikes make no sense on the road. Let's be honest here. Hence why sales of naked twins and triples have taken off. You get more kicks out of having power when you need it (off the line i.e. mid-range torque!) than having to keep the engine over 10k to make power. Sure, Kawasaki made the motor more liveable by adding 37cc (smart move at the time) but then they had to do two distinct models - one for racing and one for the road. That was never going to last...

Of course I'd love for them to prove me wrong.

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
711 Posts
Make no sense but they are fun :) I still like the high RPM rush from the600 I4s but it does get to be a hassle having to twist the throttle to get the power. I do a lot of long trips on my Tracer GT and it is nice to have the power more readily available when passing on a two lane road. Times when I do have to drop down a few gears but still miss the rush of top end power. This year I've dont the Snowy Mountain Road and Battle Pass in souther Wyoming and Beartooth Pass and Chief Josephs Highway in northern Wyoming. Easier on the triple but was dreaming of the ZX6R when doing them. Higher elevations do dull the power so was having to drop down more when passing near the summit.
Sky Cloud Plant Tree Road surface

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hate hate hate this move towards parallel twins! I may sound ignorant, but a 600 class sport bike needs to be an inline 4…period! The sound, the rev range, the power band, all of it is only there on an inline 4. Honda gets it right with the CBR650R, the right mix of midrange power with the high end scream. I will never consider the purchase of a parallel twin “sport bike”, but again, that’s just my opinion.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I hate hate hate this move towards parallel twins! I may sound ignorant, but a 600 class sport bike needs to be an inline 4…period! The sound, the rev range, the power band, all of it is only there on an inline 4. Honda gets it right with the CBR650R, the right mix of midrange power with the high end scream. I will never consider the purchase of a parallel twin “sport bike”, but again, that’s just my opinion.
I have to agree with this. I haven't ridden any of the latest parallel twins, but the V-twins I have ridden were less than inspiring compared to the fours. Triples are also an excellent engine configuration and I look forward to seeing the R9 if it ever comes out, but the twins just left me cold. The 4's have been more flexible, smoother and more exciting.

Mark

·
Registered
711 Posts
I actually think there is a good chance of the R9 coming to market. Yamaha has done an amazing job of parts bin engineering new bike around some excellent engines they have. 700 twin and the now 899cc triple. Kawasaki has been doing pretty well also.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The CB650R is a dog. Ride one and see what you think.

Reactions: PhotoAl and Goody

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I am betting on the R9 coming out, otherwise I'll be looking at a 270-degree firing twin like the RS660 or R7.

PS: My 636 ain't going anywhere, but like I said NO ONE is buying 600cc inline fours anymore...just sayin'

Reactions: Goody

·
Registered
480 Posts
PS: My 636 ain't going anywhere, but like I said NO ONE is buying 600cc inline fours anymore...just sayin'
This is probably good news for those of us that buy used but 600's are a tough class to do that with. They have been the squid bike of choice for decades and tend to inspire abuse and poor maintenance from rookie owners. On the plus side, there are also a fair number of them that were bought new by someone who bought the fantasy and then found out riding was not for them and the bike sat in their garage with stupid low mileage for years before being sold. I regularly see mid to late 2000's sport bikes in the classifieds with less than 10,000km on them.

Mark

·
Director of Moderation
7,523 Posts
This is why it's good that manufacturers offer a variety of options. Personally I'm exactly the opposite. I absolutely love the twins and also V4s. I'm not a fan of the whining noise of the I4 engines, especially the 600s. Sure I'm on my 3rd ZX6R now and also had a CBR600 in the past, but I never cared for the sound of them and the way they make power. I have one now because it's a race bike and I wanted to race middleweight classes again. They're fast and they're still fun to ride, but I would never consider an I4 600 as a street bike...in fact the only other I4 bike I would want to own is a new generation R1, and that's simply because they sound badass, and unlike any other whiny I4. As a street bike, I would only look at V-twins or parallel twins. MT-07, RS660, several of the Ducati Monsters made in the last 12 years, KTM 690 or 790, etc.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts