Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
ZX-6R 1997
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I recently bought a ZX6R from 1997 in Switzerland. The Power in Registration-Paper is listed as 30kw. If i contact my vehicle authority, they say this model from this year is only registred as 30kw. My insurance and the Service manual say the same. Now while riding i noticed this motorcycle has definitly not 30kw, more like the 74kw like the normal version. I managed to hit 200 km/h (124 mp/h) on the german highway, which i think is impossible for a 30kw motorcyle. The max. Power is also not like described in the Service manual at 6000RPM, instead its more like 10000rpm. I also dont think that the previous owner removed a power limiter, because the vehicle authority told me, that the motorcycle is 30kw at import.

While I am pretty happy, that i can circument the 35kw rule, which existed for beginner in nearly every european state, i m pretty curious if anyone knows why the power is even in the official manual from kawasaki false? I would really like to have some background information about this weird mistake.

I really like this model ,especially the price was right so i am not afraid that my blood boils when i drop it and i am more confident to work on it by myself. I also like the the design of the older models and the simplicity, when it comes to electronics. So i am a real fan of the ZX-6R.

Thank you for an answer :)

I included my registration paper and the revelant Screenshots from the ZX600F Service-manual.
In the registrationpaper:
Inverkehrssetzung means the date the bike was brought on the market
Leistung means power in kilowatt(30kw or 41PS)
Hubraum means displacement

Font Paper Handwriting Paper product Document

Font Number Pattern Parallel

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Document

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Since there were no restrictions on US models, I can only state what seems obvious. Some previous owner removed the restrictions that limited power.

I thought that restriction was a removable plate in the intake which reduced the intake diameter before the carburetors.

From what you describe concerning power delivery, having peak power much higher in RPM would indicate much better airflow through the engine.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Swiss model........30KW at 6000 rpm

swedish model.... 44KW at 10,500rpms

you say it revs to about 10,000

someone switched the ecu?????? or you bike is actually from sweden?

I too do not know if this is just an ecu restriction or a mechanical restriction in other countries....... so ???

·
Registered
65 Posts
In 07 the limitation is physical, depending on whether it is for 25 or 72 kW in the Tb, a stop screw is screwed into the threaded holes in the image, I suppose that in 97 it should be something similar.
The engine does not climb beyond the rpm allowed by the restricted throttle travel.
As simple as effective.

Attachments

·
Registered
ZX-6R 1997
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In 07 the limitation is physical, depending on whether it is for 25 or 72 kW in the Tb, a stop screw is screwed into the threaded holes in the image, I suppose that in 97 it should be something similar.
The engine does not climb beyond the rpm allowed by the restricted throttle travel.
As simple as effective.
Since there were no restrictions on US models, I can only state what seems obvious. Some previous owner removed the restrictions that limited power.

I thought that restriction was a removable plate in the intake which reduced the intake diameter before the carburetors.

From what you describe concerning power delivery, having peak power much higher in RPM would indicate much better airflow through the engine.
Yeah i also tought the power of the motorcycle would be limitited by some sort of physical device, but i read through the whole Service Manual and at no time they mentioned a plate which limit the intake, is there a way i can check if the plate was removed?

·
Registered
791 Posts
If its like @Brader says should be simple enough to look at the carb. If it is that simple I'd imagine someone removed the screw or maybe just put it back in the wrong hole.

Also agree don't look or talk too much about it. Just be happy, is your license restricted to 30kw?

·
Registered
ZX-6R 1997
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If its like @Brader says should be simple enough to look at the carb. If it is that simple I'd imagine someone removed the screw or maybe just put it back in the wrong hole.

Also agree don't look or talk too much about it. Just be happy, is your license restricted to 30kw?
Yes my license is restricted to 35kw, but the zx6r is not allowed as an open motorcycle here.

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Yes my license is restricted to 35kw, but the zx6r is not allowed as an open motorcycle here.

There is a risk/reward analysis you must perform, then.

Having obviously limited knowledge of the repercussions if you are discovered to be in possession of an open motorcycle, we can’t advise you on what you should do.

What happens if you are caught?

(as an example, in Malaysia even owning the brass shell casings of expended ammunition carries significant risk)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts