Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Found a rf1100 on craigslist just wanted to see if anyone else had a good deal
You can get a brand new helmet for that cheap if you head to your local gear shop. I'd recommend you at least spend the time going down to see how the different brands fit. You want a really nice, snug fit or the helmet is going to move on your head and not protect you in the event of a crash.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
^This^

Also, I completely understand being on a budget, but a helmet is the one piece of gear I recommend you spend some more serious money on - head is kinda important to most people :O

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can get a brand new helmet for that cheap if you head to your local gear shop. I'd recommend you at least spend the time going down to see how the different brands fit. You want a really nice, snug fit or the helmet is going to move on your head and not protect you in the event of a crash.
I tried a ton on today at iron pony so I have an idea of what sizes I need In what brands. I just didn't want to buy one of the cheap helmets. Trying to find a good one

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old is the helmet?
He said he's worn it a few times. And it looked like it was in awesome shape. I know I can get a new one for ~300 but I don't mind saving 200 so I can buy my jacket faster.
^This^

Also, I completely understand being on a budget, but a helmet is the one piece of gear I recommend you spend some more serious money on - head is kinda important to most people :O
And I completely agree with you which is why I'm trying to find a good helmet for $100 as opposed to buying a gmax new for 100 lol

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
get a used jacket, not a used helmet...fit is much more important in the helmet than in the jacket

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
get a used jacket, not a used helmet...fit is much more important in the helmet than in the jacket
This.

I paid $300 for my EXO500 which is a decent helmet. I only paid $120 for my Alpinestars jacket on Craigslist which I saw last week on the rack at my local shop for $250.

Helmets can be weakened or damaged from dropping and it may not be noticeable to the naked eye. A jacket is pretty much what you see is what you get.

IMO

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This.

I paid $300 for my EXO500 which is a decent helmet. I only paid $120 for my Alpinestars jacket on Craigslist which I saw last week on the rack at my local shop for $250.

Helmets can be weakened or damaged from dropping and it may not be noticeable to the naked eye. A jacket is pretty much what you see is what you get.

IMO
I understand completely, and its not like I am riding without a helmet I have a decent one to get me buy. Just seeing if someone needs to get rid of a good newish one for whatever reason.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I understand completely, and its not like I am riding without a helmet I have a decent one to get me buy. Just seeing if someone needs to get rid of a good newish one for whatever reason.
Cool, bud. Not trying to tell you you're wrong on anything, just offering suggestions. Personally I think the fact that you want to wear gear is a great start.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If there is a cycle gear near you they got a sale going on with the AGV K3's and K4's right now. A Bit over your budget but not by much. The K3 is going for 150 if I remember correctly. I was going to pick one up but since my head is more round my ears are real tight inside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If there is a cycle gear near you they got a sale going on with the AGV K3's and K4's right now. A Bit over your budget but not by much. The K3 is going for 150 if I remember correctly. I was going to pick one up but since my head is more round my ears are real tight inside.
No no cycle gear.. Best Columbus has is an iron pony..
Thanks for showing me that website though. Bought a ton of that 60% off freeze out gear. Ohio has some pretty bipolar weather.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
He said he's worn it a few times. And it looked like it was in awesome shape. I know I can get a new one for ~300 but I don't mind saving 200 so I can buy my jacket faster.

And I completely agree with you which is why I'm trying to find a good helmet for $100 as opposed to buying a gmax new for 100 lol
Most helmet's recommended lifespan is 5 years from the date of manufacture. The date of manufacture should be on the inside of the helmet. Depending how and where it's stored may affect it the level of protection. Use your best judgment.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Check out the Icon Alliance and Scorpion Exo (series) helmets. Great reviews, quiet helmets, and usually on clearance through various sites like motorcycle-superstore.com, compacc.com, motorcyclecloseouts.com, etc. etc.

I always wear modulars and was able to pick up a brand new Vega Summit 3.0 for under $100 off of eBay. My current helmet is a Gmax GM54s modular I purchased on sale thru compacc.com for $127 shipped. Between the two, I like the Vega's comfort, but everything else about the Gmax.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm buying a hjc rhpa-10 Ben spies edition for $180 worn 3-4 times.

Matches my monster edition 09zx6r

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.