Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at the photos below. This is a result of riding with a friend who was an inexperienced rider on unknown backroads. He new about these backroads that hardly any cars go thru but he had never ridden them. Neither of us knew the territory and I let the other rider take the lead. When we first entered these roads everything looked simple enough and straight enough. Even though I gave him a generous lead, it didn’t take even a half second to note that he started to brake hard and bend right. It took me another half second or so to react and I broke the cardinal rule of fixating on the hazards in front of me rather than the turn. In all honesty though, if I had tried to take the turn I probably would have hit the other rider and ended up worse off. My path took me straight into the ditch (note the tire tracks in the grass before and after the ditch) and as soon as the front tire went down I ejected myself off the bike. I’m not sure but I think the rear fairing hit my ass on the way off because I launched for a couple of feet. I landed on my ass and the extent of my injuries are a small cut, a stiff neck and a big bruise on my ass!! I think the bruise is God’s way of kickin’ me in the butt for being so stupid! I even broke my own 2 rules: 1) Don’t be stupid and 2) Don’t show off!

Now that I have to rebuild her, anyone know a good source for plastics?

Has anyone purchased one of those sets from ebay? I think they are shipped from hong kong. They look sharp but I'm concerned about the fitment.

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
that sucks...but it's good that you're ok. riding on unknown roads will screw you over...gotta get to know em first at an easy pace (but i'm sure you know that). just don't convince yourself you don't need to. good luck fixing it.

and...why did there have to be a random hole in the middle of your line? the answer lies with the horn-ned creatures.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
lokks nasty but good to hear your ok except for the ass.. Any damage to the rear of the bike or just the front?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for your concern. I do consider myself lucky, because it can always be a lot worse.

The damage seems to be mainly cosmetic. Mostly the fairings and the headlight housing need to be replaced. I'd like to get an alignment check just in case but I hear their is a lot involved with that.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Damn, riding into that hole could have been a lot worse. Some possible neck snapping could have occurred. Good to know you're alright. The bike is looking a little sad but she can be repaired!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sounds like you were riding too close, too fast or both. Even when I'm out on very familiar twisties with my riding buddies I back off a lot, especially at high speeds.

Glad you made it out okay! That turned out to be a valuable lesson, but you just became a better rider for it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Woooo, glad you got away with that, it could have been a lot worse, hopefully bike will fix up quick. A lesson for us all there when group riding.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Dude that pole could have really hurt!!.. glad you missed it! Your lucky dude! Thank God no one was coming the other direction..

Next time look away from the hazard. look thru the corner, then lean the bitch over and take the damn corner like a man!! LOL Just kidding!

But you probably could have made it if you did.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rebuild it, Ebay is your friend. that looked very similar to my bike when I wrecked it the first time. One bit of advice have someone take your forks off and check them over. the outer tubes bend really easy. i learned the hard way i rebuilt mine and later on found out after the fact that one of my outer tubes was bent and so was my lower triple clamp. It's very hard to see just by looking at them, They have to be removed. i ended up replacing mine with a complete set off of a 2006 636, total price for a complete set off of Ebay was $400 with both triples and clipons.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, didn't know about the forks thing. Can you shed anymore light on this subject. Did you bring it to a shop to find out? Did you do the install yourself? How hard was it to remove the triple clamps? How did you find out the triple was bent? After your rebuild, did you notice they were bent while you were riding?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts