Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone priced or inquired about having you race plastics wrapped instead of being painted? I remember watching a video a couple of years back and a ZX6R being built for racing in Europe and it looked like they wrapped the plastics instead of painting them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it look nice if its done right?

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
It looks very nice... but it is a bitch to do considering all the sharp corners bikes have versus the mostly flat surfaces of a car. You will also need 2 people to do it. I did it to my bike... I wont try it again lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well doing it with two would make things much easier, but doing it alone is do able as well. the vinyl stretched pretty well. I did cheat a little though, split the vinyl on front fairing haha. You could buy vinyl enough to wrap one piece of fairing, see how you like it, and if you wanna do it. Lots of how tos on youtube.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
I'm seriously considering sticking to primer grey... Maybe if I start feeling brave I will try rattle can again... Don't know.

Ey3

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well doing it with two would make things much easier, but doing it alone is do able as well. the vinyl stretched pretty well. I did cheat a little though, split the vinyl on front fairing haha. You could buy vinyl enough to wrap one piece of fairing, see how you like it, and if you wanna do it. Lots of how tos on youtube.
love the color and it turned out beutiful. great work!:yumyum:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Would I be right that if you didn't wna change the whole colour of one panel but half or some pattern you could wrap half it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes you are right other then the fact that you will have a step up on to the vinyl at the transition. Not really a problem unless you are paste waxing!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had mine wrapped and I regret it. I bought Avery and they are said to be one of the best and it did look good. However, it was extremely fragile. It would tear up where rocks would hit it and some sections requires multiple pieces so it wouldn't look uniform. So I'm spending the money on paint this year.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but how well does vinyl hold up? I'm thinking about doing this to my bike (versus painting at least for now) and I'm trying to figure out if it'll be worth doing. I want my bike to go from the titanium 05 color to a satin pearl white color.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but how well does vinyl hold up? I'm thinking about doing this to my bike (versus painting at least for now) and I'm trying to figure out if it'll be worth doing. I want my bike to go from the titanium 05 color to a satin pearl white color.
It holds up great, unless you fall for the Avery truckIle ole boy up there, lol ^. Go 3M all the way. To be honest, I've never heard of Avery in my life and I was a graphic designer for years with tons of experience with vinyl.

Unless of course he was referring to the same Avery that makes inkjet label paper. Then it's on him, because that was a dumb move.

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
Avery is pretty good. If u buy the hexis brand sometimes they will send u Avery vinyl. Its almost like the 3M to work with but it does tear easily if touched with a pointy object. Then again...I think all vinyl wraps are fragile like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts