Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An 18 Peniglae V4 came up for sale and I have been thinking about trading my 19 for it. Having a hard time making a decision. I love the ZX6r. It does everything well and I got it new for $7500. The Peni is more than twice that, but it is quite a piece to look at.

Struggling to make a decision. The value of the ZX6r, the looks, performance, savings on insurance, reliability, analog (less is more)....

Would you get the Penigale or would you mod the hell out of your ZX6r to make it perfect for you?

....at the end of the day, no matter what I do to the ZX6r, it will never approach 200hp and that's where I'm stuck. But the ZX6r will never "bite" me like a Penigale might.

·
Registered
913 Posts
An 18 Peniglae V4 came up for sale and I have been thinking about trading my 19 for it. Having a hard time making a decision. I love the ZX6r. It does everything well and I got it new for $7500. The Peni is more than twice that, but it is quite a piece to look at.

Struggling to make a decision. The value of the ZX6r, the looks, performance, savings on insurance, reliability, analog (less is more)....

Would you get the Penigale or would you mod the hell out of your ZX6r to make it perfect for you?

....at the end of the day, no matter what I do to the ZX6r, it will never approach 200hp and that's where I'm stuck. But the ZX6r will never "bite" me like a Penigale might.
Is it possible to keep the zx6r and add the Duc to the line up? That’s my vote. If that isn’t a possibility than do what gets your juices flowing man. Life is too short to deny yourself if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 bikes in the stable. Good point. I feel like I would eventually gravitate to one all the time. Guess I could always sell the other in that case. Good point, thanks!

If you had to pick one? Would you give up a best in class 600 and great value for a "sexier" Duke?

I had a 748.....absolutely sucked. No power, ridiculous costs in maintaining....but the single sided swing arm and undertail exhaust made me bite. Went back to Japanese and this is over 15 years ago. Little hesitant to make that same mistake. I'm happy with the Kawi.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd have to ride each. You can sit here all day dreaming up differences in feel/ride/power, but until you get seat time that all means absolutely nothing. If I were in your shoes, I'd test ride the Panigale in exactly the same as you'd ride your zx6r, and see which one puts a bigger smile on your face. After the test ride, if you're not 100% sure on what you want to do, stick with the zx6r.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I used to have an s1000. I was kind of worried about it all the time because it was so expensive. Parking it somewhere, what roads I would ride on, when I would ride it, I was just nervous about something happening to it. My zx6 on the other hand, I will ride the ever living shit out of and enjoy every second of it.

I think if you can only barely afford the panigale, you might not enjoy riding it as much as a bike that would be easier and less costly to replace/maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Duc's are a work of art. For whatever reason, I spent the better part of the morning reading about desmo dromic valves. Always heard about them, but never really knew what they were. Apparently there are no valve springs, and the rocker arms have an upper and lower one. So there are actually two shims on each valve. Looks like a nightmare to perform. Personally I'd stay with the big four. I trade in bikes frequently and had two friends loose their shirt on ducati. trade-ins. Again, they look sweet.....But the maintenance, trade-in value, reliability, and few dealerships would make me hesitant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You kind of echoed everything that I have been thinking. Ducati has such an appeal aesthetically. I think I'll start modding the ZX6R more and keep it for the long haul. It's such a great bike. I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
480 Posts
I considered a 959 back when I bought the ZX6R. Decided not to, 3 reasons: 1 - exhaust cooked the rider and there didn't seem to be a good solution. 2 - rear tire was a little odd, couldn't get my favorite tire (Michelin Road 5 - I only ride on the street and did some longer trips and rode in the rain from time to time). Apparently putting different sized tires on messed with the nanny computer. 3 - parts/reliability, they can be hard to get, I rode every day to work and don't like having my bike in the shop or torn apart in my garage. Loved the ZX6R, did everything I needed, was fun and cool looking. It may not have the cache of a Ducati but I don't care. LOL my current BMW (F800GT) is a great bike with a dull engine and not very popular. BUT I don't worry about it! I get to where I'm going and park it and well if it's gone in the morning I'll shed one tear then get something else.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
All this over a typo? I'm out.

Not my kind of place. Perfect people only.
Lol. I hadn't even noticed you spelled it wrong. For future reference, you should laugh these things off and say it was autocorrect... And based on your reaction it looks like the ducatista crowd would be better for you. In the meantime you'll find plenty of info here for your zx6r.

·
Registered
12,964 Posts
I would never buy a bike that I couldn't spell
Ok, I think I figured it out. He thought Otto Man was directing this at his misspelling of Panigale. And somehow he thought my Inglorious Basterds meme was directed at him too...or something.
Ehh....who cares?!?! :cool:

·
Registered
292 Posts
And based on your reaction it looks like the ducatista crowd would be better for you.
Savage. What a great way to start Wednesday morning, thanks.

Bruised pussy on the innernets. OP should get a electric scooter.

Apologies to OP, but once you show that soft belly people will just keep poking at it...

Mark

1 - 20 of 29 Posts