Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few short & quick clips. I have plenty to improve on I practice every weekend. Some of my biggest struggles when riding are my height (5'3"), my eyesight(legally blind in one eye), and feeling comfortable on my bike. For me it's not about trying to put my knee down, rather getting a nice confident, comfortable position to increase speed, and stability. Some days I feel great, others I do not. Figured i'd share this video for anyone looking to learn, or critique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-ikv78D5g

Have a great day, best wishes.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Looking quite good. I would like to see you relax your upper body a bit more but other than that you look fine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking quite good. I would like to see you relax your upper body a bit more but other than that you look fine.
I appreciate that. That is where I am having the most trouble. I've watched videos, I've practiced at home on the bike stands, but I can just not seem to consistantly relax. Still looking for my comfort zone :)

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I appreciate that. That is where I am having the most trouble. I've watched videos, I've practiced at home on the bike stands, but I can just not seem to consistantly relax. Still looking for my comfort zone :)
Usually this comes from not locking your legs into the tank. Once you learn to do this, you can pretty much flail your arms around over your head like you were on fire in a cartoon and be ok.

Focus on really driving that outside leg into the tank. Raise your heel. Basically try to stand on your tippy toes on your outside leg and you will feel your knee drive deep into the tank. That is where the magic happens =)

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Agree with Slo... you're looking good but the upper half of your body seems a bit stiff.

I try making a conscious and sometime verbal note going into, and sometimes in the middle of a turn, to "relax". I generally find it's easier for me to practice this when I'm not out riding with anyone else or I'm all alone on the track at that time.

I used the mentality of "pretend the grips are fresh eggs. If you squeeze too tight they'll break." Light on the hands and loose in the shoulders and arms and you'll start to actually have fun with the learning curve. I can easily take a hand off of the left bar at over 100mph at full lean when I am feeling the most relaxed. And I use that as my guide. "Do I feel like I could take a hand off and wave at that guy with a camera?" If the answer is no... I try to relax through that turn the next time around. Usually I see my lap time get better when I do. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
bump on relaxing the upper body. everything will work better. the bike will absorb the minor (or major) unevenness of the road and any bumps that come along. the impact of this to performance just can't be over stated in my opinion.

i consciously relax my arms and shoulders when i start out. also, constantly reminding myself to leave some play in my arms (never fully extending) so I can always push on either clip-on for more lean (to tighten a turn or to avoid something in the road).

great to always be learning and getting feedback from others. zx6r.com is such an awesome place for that!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is exactly the feedback, and knowledge I was looking for. Thank you guys for being constructive, and helpful! I will definitely be practicing more this weekend.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Do you feel pain in your back after riding?

Have a look at this:
bp2.jpg

And this:
bp1.jpg

Try to angle your hips a bit, by that, i mean 1 cheek maybe a inch further in front of the other, so your lower body are angled into the turn. Then just lean forward, and relax your arms. that will put your upper body slightly off center from the bike, in a right turn, your left chest will rest on the right side of the tank. And here is the best part: Since your body is alredy pointed into the turn, you will not need to turn your head so much to see into the turn, mostly lift your head a lot, just as when you are hiding behind the windscreen. That will also help making you not bending your back like a inverted shrimp.
And you dont need to hang of that much, your upper body weighs a lot more then your bum, so the upper body will help you turn the bike a lot more.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts

Have a look at this:
View attachment 38863

And this:
View attachment 38864

Try to angle your hips a bit, by that, i mean 1 cheek maybe a inch further in front of the other, so your lower body are angled into the turn. Then just lean forward, and relax your arms. that will put your upper body slightly off center from the bike, in a right turn, your left chest will rest on the right side of the tank. And here is the best part: Since your body is alredy pointed into the turn, you will not need to turn your head so much to see into the turn, mostly lift your head a lot, just as when you are hiding behind the windscreen. That will also help making you not bending your back like a inverted shrimp.
And you dont need to hang of that much, your upper body weighs a lot more then your bum, so the upper body will help you turn the bike a lot more.
Agreed, and wow you were able to pull a lot more out of that video than I was :p

Definitely over-exaggerating your hips. One buttcheek only off the seat. No more.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Have a look at this:
View attachment 38863

And this:
View attachment 38864

Ah... I am going to try this on the bike stand tomorrow, and then this weekend, thank you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
805 Posts
Funny I have that video saved in a playlist specifically for riding. This is one of the main videos that got me practicing on a stand. I just seem to lack confidence maybe once i'm moving? Not sure.

Try lowering your tempo, not the speed so much, but the tempo that everything happens - use lower revs so it doesnt feel as fast, since less power is produced, your margins for error becomes bigger. Brake 2 yards earlier then you thought was needed, position your body several seconds before the turn to give the bike stability. When everything around you feels nice, slow and comfortable, its a lot easier to find confidence and trying new things.

When you sit on your bike on the stands, trying the stuff i wrote before, you should be able to see the - for now imaginary- road under the rear view mirror.

I dont see so good on the pictures, but where you sit also does a lot. Quite a lot forward with good contact to the tank will give you a good feel for your bike, and more control then sitting far back. Compare it to playing american football, but only be allowed to touch the ball with your fingertips...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts