Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot of reports of people cracking their frame when crashing with the '09-'16 ZX6Rs. I have a set of Woodcraft sliders I'm debating whether or not to install onto my '13.

The purpose of whatever bike protection I put on is to protect the frame/engine. I know fairings are most likely done for if I crash, so I'm not really worried about saving the fairings.

Should I return them and just stick with engine covers? Are the people who crack the frame outliers, or is it a genuine concern if running the frame sliders? I mostly ride on the street, but am looking to do handful of track days this year like last year.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If you're looking to save the frame, the answer is simple, don't do it. Case savers and gas tank guards is what you should invest in.

Lots of people have issues with frame sliders breaking their frame or screwing up the mounts (eating up threads, etc) on all types of bikes. 07+ zx6s just make it worse because the mounting for them is very prone to breaking.
-Cody

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're looking to save the frame, the answer is simple, don't do it. Case savers and gas tank guards is what you should invest in.

Lots of people have issues with frame sliders breaking their frame or screwing up the mounts (eating up threads, etc) on all types of bikes. 07+ zx6s just make it worse because the mounting for them is very prone to breaking.
-Cody

Thanks. I'll probably end up returning them, I see you're the biggest proponent of not using them since you cracked your frame.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Thanks. I'll probably end up returning them, I see you're the biggest proponent of not using them since you cracked your frame.
Yup. I didn't listen to the people who told me not to do it...I loathe being wrong, haha.

I was in the same boat as everyone else. "They're short" "They're Woodcraft so they must be good quality" "They're engineered by Woodcraft to absorb the impact to make it not break the frame or shear off the bolt first before it does damage"

That's what I said and it burned me big time. I don't want anyone else to have to go through that if I can help it.
-Cody

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup. I didn't listen to the people who told me not to do it...I loathe being wrong, haha.

I was in the same boat as everyone else. "They're short" "They're Woodcraft so they must be good quality" "They're engineered by Woodcraft to absorb the impact to make it not break the frame or shear off the bolt first before it does damage"

That's what I said and it burned me big time. I don't want anyone else to have to go through that if I can help it.
-Cody
Yeah, I appreciate it. Will be returning them later today. It's a shame too, I really like Woodcraft and their customer service, but this seems to be more of the fault of Kawasaki building a weaker(?) frame mount

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Yeah, I appreciate it. Will be returning them later today. It's a shame too, I really like Woodcraft and their customer service, but this seems to be more of the fault of Kawasaki building a weaker(?) frame mount
^ this, exactly. I swear by Woodcraft parts but in this case, it is just a poor frame design that makes it really undesirable to run them.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
I've never run sliders of any brand for the very reasons Exalted mentions above.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
agreed completely. I use Woodcraft almost exclusively from clip ons to rear sets to knee pucks. Which is one of the reasons I was so defensive about keeping them until they broke my frame :(
-Cody

·
Registered
226 Posts
Although I am new to the forum today I would like to chime in on this one.

Although, I didn't own woodcraft, my lockhart phillips frame sliders did not damage my old 07 R6 frame in anyways after laying it down at 40 mph. Bent the slider, however was able to get them out, and they helped save the tank.

I didn't every have to use the Shogun Frame Sliders, on my 08 R6, so I don't know about those.

Good luck man, I figure if you wreck at a decent speed, the frame sliders are a help, but you have bigger problems such as bent forks, and a new rear end depending. I keep them on, just incase someone knocks the bike over. That $100 investment, can save you a lot more in plastics and a messed up tank.

hopefully you won't have to experience any of this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Although I am new to the forum today I would like to chime in on this one.

Although, I didn't own woodcraft, my lockhart phillips frame sliders did not damage my old 07 R6 frame in anyways after laying it down at 40 mph. Bent the slider, however was able to get them out, and they helped save the tank.

I didn't every have to use the Shogun Frame Sliders, on my 08 R6, so I don't know about those.

Good luck man, I figure if you wreck at a decent speed, the frame sliders are a help, but you have bigger problems such as bent forks, and a new rear end depending. I keep them on, just incase someone knocks the bike over. That $100 investment, can save you a lot more in plastics and a messed up tank.

hopefully you won't have to experience any of this.
Right, but I think the biggest problem is that the zx6r frame slider mounting point is really weak compared to other bikes, unfortunately. I'm not as worried about wrecks on the street, as I have insurance for that

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for the update about the weak spots. I wouldn't of thought that there would be a weak spot in the frame.

I ordered a set of shogun sliders yesterday. Here to hoping that nothing happens.

·
Registered
631 Posts
It all depends on the speed and direction your bike Falls. My 08 CBR 1000 went down with TRex sliders. The slider spun and ruined the faring. No Bueno.
The bracket on mine has bits that keep it from spinning. I had the same kind of crash and it held solid

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.