1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a G1 zx6r, it has 30K on it.

Recently when I go to start her,

I hit the starter switch and nothing - NADA. ill hit it three or four times still nothing, leave it a few seconds then hit it again and it turns over fine - what is causing this?!

Also sometimes ill do this routene and it will turn over then a huge bang from the engine and it wont turn over it just sounds like a buzzing like the starter cant turn the engine, then leave it and try again and all is normal again

other than that sometimes one cylider misfires but its running fine apart from that!

HELP!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would check your battery terminals. Possibly a loose connection and in need of cleaning.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
In addition to Maudlin's suggestion, you might also want to pull that switch apart and clean the connections with contact cleaner. Or purchase a new one if that is where your problem is.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou for your input gentlemen! I didn't think it may be something that simple!

But it makes a good deal of sense.

Any ideas what the BANG is?

Almost like a gunshot - really loud!"

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Thankyou for your input gentlemen! I didn't think it may be something that simple!

But it makes a good deal of sense.

Any ideas what the BANG is?

Almost like a gunshot - really loud!"
If you have one cylinder that is not firing, you are dumping a lot of unburnt fuel into the exhaust.... when it finally does start, when the exhaust gasses hit that fuel/air explosive in the pipe -- it goes off violently.

Check your plug wires, and plugs. They aren't good forever. Once the insulation breaks down, you don't get the full power from the coil to the plugs.... weak spark which may not ignite the fuel/air in the cylinder.

The one cylinder that is not running well; this is either due to the aforementioned bad spark plug lead, or possibly clogged jet on the carb, or vacuum leak, or kinked lines, possibly maladjusted valves.

You need to get to the bottom of why that one is not playing with the others well.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If your bike yells "alla-Akbar!" Before going BANG.... Then your bike has been radicalized. If not, it backfired. When you crank the engine fuel is deposited in the cylinder and then pushed into the exhaust Un burnt. When you get a spark, it lights the fuel and air in the exhaust....... bang!

Reactions: kush452 and RJ2112

·
Registered
81 Posts
My bandit did this, i pulled the engine apart...that was a bad move, don't do that!

Anyway, when you turn it over the fuel is going through but not burning, when it eventually fires up, this fuel needs to go, so it burns very quickly and BANG!

As it not starting up and just turning over, if it sounds like its struggling to turn over it could be low battery or faulty starter motor, if it sounds fine, it could be spark plugs.

Or, i'm not sure if you have carbs but if you do the bandit used to suffer terribly if these were cold, shoot a hair dryer at them for a few minutes and try!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts