Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2007 ninja zx6r. It sputters when I get around 6000 rpms. I can have the throttle wide open and nothing happens. Also, fuel light is on and word fuel is flashing even with full tank. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,219 Posts
Fuel tank is probably gummed up with bad fuel deposits..... Pull the tank off, and pull the pump out. Get some pics and we'll advise on what actions you could take.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel tank is probably gummed up with bad fuel deposits..... Pull the tank off, and pull the pump out. Get some pics and we'll advise on what actions you could take.
I replaced the fuel pump and spark plugs. Running great now. The only thing is the fuel light is staying on and the word fuel is flashing. I have a full tank. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,219 Posts
The sensor for low fuel is almost certainly stuck in the bottom of the range, giving the low indication. I would expect that this is a float with a magnet built into it that rides in a tube on the pump body. There’s a sensor that reacts to the presence of the magnetic field sealed away from the fuel, so that there is no chance of a spark in the tank.

If you can locate that tube on the pump assembly, (after taking it out of the tank) inverting the pump and shooting a can of carburetor cleaner through the hole may soften up the goop holding the float .... soak it and let it sit, so gravity works for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sensor for low fuel is almost certainly stuck in the bottom of the range, giving the low indication. I would expect that this is a float with a magnet built into it that rides in a tube on the pump body. There’s a sensor that reacts to the presence of the magnetic field sealed away from the fuel, so that there is no chance of a spark in the tank.

If you can locate that tube on the pump assembly, (after taking it out of the tank) inverting the pump and shooting a can of carburetor cleaner through the hole may soften up the goop holding the float .... soak it and let it sit, so gravity works for you.
Ok, thanks. I will try that when the tank gets low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks. I will try that when the tank gets low.
I sprayed everything and soaked everything. I really didn't see any kind of tube. The light is still on. I'm going to disconnect the battery for awhile and reset the ecu to see if that works.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I sprayed everything and soaked everything. I really didn't see any kind of tube. The light is still on. I'm going to disconnect the battery for awhile and reset the ecu to see if that works.
There is another active thread going right now where someone provided a picture of the actual fuel level sender and a link where you can buy one and solder in yourself.... I just posted on that thread about 5 minutes ago

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is another active thread going right now where someone provided a picture of the actual fuel level sender and a link where you can buy one and solder in yourself.... I just posted on that thread about 5 minutes ago
How do I find that thread?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now it won't start or when it does and I hit the throttle it just dies. Could the pump have burned out?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
How do I find that thread?
2 days ago when you posted you could have simply searched the most recent active threads, and scrolled down the list and one of the last posts had the pictures.
I am not going to search for you!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts