Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well unfortunatly it's starting to get cold and that means the toys need to get put away. I just recently built a carport at my fraternity to keep my bike under. Besides that limited protection, what are some other things I need to do to get my bike ready to be stored over the winter?

On a side note I want to put an HID/ Zenon light in my bike. It's a 96 zx6r. Has anyone done this or know someone that has?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
for the winter you'll need some fuel stabilizer and a battery tender. for the headlights, you'll need an HID bulb that is the same type as that year bike (H1, H4, etc.) and the ballasts...mounting the ballasts can be tricky.

-:banana

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
get snow chains??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the warm clothes idea, but the snow chains might be pushing it a little bit. I'm definately ready to graduate and get somewhere warmer. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Windproof riding gear, good gloves and a heated vest have me pretty comfortable down to about 20 deg F. Sport bikes don't work very well in the snow, tires suck and the geometry and egronomics are all wrong for it, but if its not real deep they are still rideable. A dual sport bike works much better for snow though:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Im one of the very lucky ones who have a back porch with a doorway that goes to the basement. 6r BARELY fits through my back door. That way, when we get those warm 40 degree days, I'll be able to take my bike out! I won't have to actually put it away for the whole winter. I say just leave it the way it is, maybe change the oil, take it outside once a week or every other week and fire it up, scoot around a bit, let the battery charge up and get everything movin again.

·
Registered
571 Posts
  • Change your oil, there are things in used motor oil that can damage your engine if you leave it sit.
  • Turn your fuel petcock off and run all the gas out of the carbs. (carbed bikes...DUH)
  • Put stabilizer in the fuel tank if you don't run it dry.
  • If you have anything but an antifreeze mix in your rad drain it and put an antifreeze mix in. (watter wetter / watter / etc. WILL FREEZE which can severely damage your engine.
  • Depending on where you store your bike you may want to put a rag in your exhaust to keep rodents out. Same for air box.
  • Put your bike up on stands to get the tires off the ground, especially if you're keeping it on grass. Also keep air in the tires.
  • Cover the bike well.

There may be more, but that's what I can think of right now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
"Put your bike up on stands to get the tires off the ground, especially if you're keeping it on grass. Also keep air in the tires.
"

if you are keeping it on the grass, but plastic sheet under it. the moisture from the ground raises up.

also if it's very cold in the storage the concrete floor can be bad to tyres, expecially if it's oily. put some cardboard under the tyres.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts