Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm trying some new ideas on the windscreen for my bike.

I wanted a blacked out windscreen but wanted something different than the usual. I did truck bed liner over this one but I don't know what I think. Let me know what you all think of this, not sure if I'll keep it or not. Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
If you want an honest opinion, I think it looks bad. You've got a nice, clean, shiny, GLOSSY, bike and you put a flat black, cracked looking, uneven windscreen on it...they don't go together at all IMO :O

I'm not sure I'd like it in almost any situation, but I definitely don't like it on your bike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can appreciate your honesty. I was kinda thinking the same thing but wanted some other opinions before I ruled it a failed trial. I have one other one other trial windscreen I did. This one was a carbon fiber vinyl wrap. I think it turned out ok as far as the wrap went but still not sure of this one either.

Better? Thoughts?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Anything is better than the bedliner one.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I think the CF wrapped one looks pretty good. I don't know how yours went, but I did this once and it ended up annoying me on the bottom/back side of the windscreen because of how I wrapped the vinyl around

Edit: I would also vote that if you are going to do CF on the windscreen, you should do some other parts as well - mirrors, some of the black trim pieces maybe :O

·
Registered
133 Posts
The carbon fiber one looks better off the two. If you want something different why not take and have someone airbrush something on it. I know you said you wanted a blacked out one but just a thought to ponder.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the CF wrapped one looks pretty good. I don't know how yours went, but I did this once and it ended up annoying me on the bottom/back side of the windscreen because of how I wrapped the vinyl around

Edit: I would also vote that if you are going to do CF on the windscreen, you should do some other parts as well - mirrors, some of the black trim pieces maybe :O
Wrapping the windscreen was a complete and total bitch but I think it turned out ok. I'm still not convinced I like the CF one either. I do have some CF accents I did on the stock bar ends which I do like and the chain guard I accented with the CF as well as the back side of the tail fairing just above the tail light.

I might just try a cheap double bubble from Amazon in a dark smoke. I've found that the stock windscreen shape kinda blocks my sight of the instrument cluster when I ride.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I actually really like the carbon fiber one. If money permitted, I'd get a whole windscreen done in carbon fiber for the glossy look and real durability. Also, keep a clear one if you track it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
What might look cool, is a very, very slight blue hue on the screen. Nothing obvious ... but something subtle. It would really 'pop' on that blue bike. But straight up blue would be gross.

I have my original screen laying around the house somewhere ... might be fun to experiment with some of the frosted glass stuff that they make for windows. Of course, I love my smoked Zero Gravity Corsca screen and can't imagine replacing that.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Kind of interesting ... I have my original screen laying around the house somewhere ... might be fun to experiment with some of the frosted glass stuff that they make for windows. Of course, I love my smoked Zero Gravity Corsca screen and can't imagine replacing that.

What might look cool, is a very, very slight blue hue on the screen. Nothing obvious ... but something subtle.
Ikey... anything but smoked or clear looks hideous man :thumbdown:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'm going to try a cheap Amazon double bubble next. I'm going to sand down the bed liner windscreen and experiment further options but it might be a while. My bike seems to be idling poorly so I'll be digging into that for a while first.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The CF looks better than the bedliner one. Why not just buy a Puig Double Bubble and call it good?
Originally I didn't like the look of the double bubble and didn't want to spend the dough on a Puig or other name brand windscreen. I liked the lower profile of the stock windscreen and wanted to try some alternatives for a different look. I haven't really gotten the desired results thus far but haven't spent more than $20 between all the materials.

I partly wanted to experiment with different products too so I could learn how to better use them and apply them to various projects beyond just the windscreen. I figure even if I have a failed project that turns out poorly (bed liner windscreen) I've at least invested in some learning which I can also use as a basis for ideas on potential future projects too. Honestly there isn't much to learn with bed liner other than it isn't an ideal product for our bikes. The CF wrap on the windscreen was a good learning experience and a royal PITA to do. I have a totally new respect for people who can do full vinyl wraps well!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I learned the hard way of not applying anything to the stock windscreen with my 250. I ended up doing a BHT nightshade on it and came out okay until the summer sun ruined it. I then went with a double bubble.

The carbon fiber wrap looks alot better

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
The problem with the carbon fiber wrap is that you put the lines straight up and down, which makes it look very plain. Carbon fiber looks way better/more interesting if you orient the lines diagonally at a 45° angle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The problem with the carbon fiber wrap is that you put the lines straight up and down, which makes it look very plain. Carbon fiber looks way better/more interesting if you orient the lines diagonally at a 45° angle.
I think that's why I'm not totally satisfied with it. I wanted to lay it diagonal but the sheets I had weren't big enough to cover the whole windscreen with a solid sheet that way. I may take several sheets for my next trial to make a pattern then clear coat to seal any seams.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts