Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just wanted some quick opinions on gearing. Bike is a 04 Zx6RR and I was thinking of going -1 in the front. Trying to improve the midrange a bit, or at least bring the power-band more in line for the street. My question is, is this too much?? The 04 RR's already have the shorter gear ratio's from the race kit and I don't want the revs to be screaming on the highway. Maybe +1 or +2 in the rear instead?

What is the general school of thought round here regarding RR's ?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Its really a thing of perference - gearing just moves the whole set of gears up or down and tightens or widens the spread between the gears. One option would be to just ride around one gear lower than you currently do:laugh

If your only changing one sprocket you can calculate the percent difference in rpm for a given mph by just figuring the percent change in sprocket size, if you are thinking of changing both sprockets then you'll need to find the percent change in ratio.

I tend to perfer to do all my gear ratio changing with the rear sprocket, as smaller front sprockets often result in increased chain slider wear and will result in a small increase in chain wear.

good luck

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
-1 equals +3 on the rear, and your bike came stock with 15-40 sprockets like my 04 636 did, and i have 14-42 gearing now -1+2 from stock and i love it, really didn't loose that much top end and bike pulls alot harder thu the entire rpm range

·
Registered
553 Posts
I went -1 +2 on my 06. It's absolutely great for the track but I think it's a bit much for the street. The speedo is off and I have to shift twice as much, on the flip side though, I can hang with most liter bikes in a first through third gear pull. Wheelies are nothing more than a twist of the wrist away in first and second and third comes up with a little help from the clutch. I like it but I don't think I want to do day to day riding with it. I'll probably throw my stock rear sprocket back on for the street and use the vortex for the track. I think you'll be more than happy with -1 up front.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I Have An 07 Zx6 And I Droped 2 In The Front And I Can Tell A Difference. It Does Stay Reved Up But I Was Expecting More Than What I Got. I Have Only Got To Ride For About An Hour Since The Change So Im Wondering If It Was My Style Of Riding. I Was Wanting My Bike To Stand Up Easier, I Can Tell Its Stronger Thru All Gears

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks guys, I think I'll go with -1 up front. Shouldn't be too bad and i's the cheapest way to go anyway. Vortex ones are $30 and My local race shop (Prieto Racing, good people) can put it on for another $30 or so. So it seems worth the $60 investment. I'll ask them next time i'm there and let you guys know what they say. Thanks for all the responses !
:) :) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts