Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of headers that I unpacked and painted. I'm going to get a PCv to remap the bike so it won't run to open. But I'm wondering if the open headers plus my m4 will make the bike just to loud to wanna ride.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
so you gutted the headers??

if thats so, it shouldnt really make a difference in the sound.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Wait a minute here. Did you gut your headers or the cat? I am sure the headers are free flowing but sense they are welded to your cat...
Either way with the cat intact or not the M4 is loud.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The best way to find out if your bike is too loud is to go by a cop at about 10 grand and see if he pulls you over. If he pulls you over and tells you your bike is too loud, your bike is too loud.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The best way to find out if your bike is too loud is to go by a cop at about 10 grand and see if he pulls you over. If he pulls you over and tells you your bike is too loud, your bike is too loud.
Nice practical advice!!! LOL!!!:devious

Reactions: DaddysNinja

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There Orem header cat combo. I unpacked them and primed and painted them with a paint that holds in heat. But is it gunna get to the point where my helmet blue tooth will be worthless.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
You are talking about knocking out the honeycomb material inside the header correct? I had the same set up, gutted header and a M4 and gutted header didn't change a thing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I run fully open enlarged race headers, with a custom made tip for just enough back pressure, and lets just say, from about 2 miles away my bike sounds like a little plane, and my buddy says it's just violently loud...for perspective, i wear ear plugs, and still can't here myself think.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I say run it and if its to loud put that quite insert in the M4. Most dont come with them stock but you can buy them seperately. it looks like a little triangular mess cone and a big c-clip that goes right in the tip of the M4. I just got done fabbing a 3-into1 header for a triumph triple with a M4 GP muffler and no insert and just cruising at low rpm its not that loud but when you open it up its ungodly loud. And this is on an engine that doesnt spin up to well over 10k rpm... Personally i say your gonna hate it without the insert but try it and see.

EDIT: I looked back and you didnt say if it was the side mount M4 or GP M4. That makes a LOT of difference in what its gonna sound like. My post was directed at the M4 GP muffler.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a m4 gp. I have the extra set of Oem headers that are cleaned out and painted. If I have to wear ear plugs its not worth it I think. I like loud but I don't like hmmmming ears after riding.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Like i say the quite insert makes a big difference in the sound so you can always add that if its to loud without it

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
It will be extremely loud and you'll lose a bit of torque. I also imagine it would be a nightmare to tune for :no

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
It will be extremely loud and you'll lose a bit of torque. I also imagine it would be a nightmare to tune for :no
Like I said it was no louder than before and I gained over 9hp after a tune with very strong mid range and I'm almost at 50/lb of torque now.

Where are you guys getting your info from???

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Like I said it was no louder than before and I gained over 9hp after a tune with very strong mid range and I'm almost at 50/lb of torque now.

Where are you guys getting your info from???

They get it from the internet...

As for it... I lost a little torque but regained it back with proper sprocket set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I think they are more referring to gutting the cat from the header, not quite your set up, I believe the 04 didn't have a cat in the header but I'm not sure.

Also you didn't really gain any torque back you just moved the power around, the sprocket took some power from the top of the powerband and moved it to the bottom, which would appear to give you more torque but on a dyno your actual numbers will not change.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I think they are more referring to gutting the cat from the header, not quite your set up, I believe the 04 didn't have a cat in the header but I'm not sure.

Also you didn't really gain any torque back you just moved the power around, the sprocket took some power from the top of the powerband and moved it to the bottom, which would appear to give you more torque but on a dyno your actual numbers will not change.
Well yeah. Since you put it so sophisticated... haha its to early man.

But yes changing the sprockets I regained my "bottom end" not so much torque. I need to word it better more often

I guess I read the "open header" thing wrong as in took it the wrong way.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Well yeah. Since you put it so sophisticated... haha its to early man.

But yes changing the sprockets I regained my "bottom end" not so much torque. I need to word it better more often

I guess I read the "open header" thing wrong as in took it the wrong way.
I can't help it I'm sharp on Monday mornings :laugh

No worries, it took me a minute to figure out what he was talking about as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im going to keep the m4 gp on it and get the pcv i just dont want the hmmmmmmmmmmmm noise for hours after i ride

1 - 20 of 22 Posts