Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Sarah. I've been riding for a few months now on the smaller ninjas, and I think it's about time for an upgrade. I looked around at a bunch of different bikes, and the 636 hits all the right buttons. I'm saving up now, so I'll have my new bike in a few months. In the meantime I'm just going to research everything I'll need to know about the bike. Looking forward to joining the 636 life. Can't wait to feel that power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll do used if I can get a good price and the bike doesn't have to many miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2k? That would be awesome. Unfortunately that particular deal will deffinately be gone by the time I have enough money. I've only got 400 bucks saved up currently. I add more every paycheck, but I need a good bit of time before I'm ready to buy anything.

And thanks for the warm welcome, I'm happy I found this place. Looking forward to the day I can post a pic of my new baby.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Prices vary by season, and location. SoCal, always more pricey than most other markets. States in the farthest northern climates tend to get less miles per year due to the shorter riding season. Mileage is nowhere near as important as regular maintenance..... age has an impact on all of the rubber bits, moisture affects the fuel and brake systems.... My '09 has over 70K miles on it. Others here have considerably more miles on their bikes. If it's kept tuned up, and all of the fluids are changed out on schedule these things can easily see 90-100K miles. They most often die much sooner due to operator error.

Any sport bike loses value rapidly, when the plastics are damaged. A bike can be written off by insurance, strictly on the cost of replacement plastics. Looks aren't everything...... you can't really see much of the bike when you're riding it. So long as it doesn't leak, goes where you point it, and stops when you want it to....... much, much more important.

There is a minimum value to a running motorcycle. A well running bike costs more. A good looking, well running bike even more. Private party sales will potentially be lower in price than a dealership -- bikes that are more than 5-6 years old will cost considerably less than anything newer than that, as most folk end up financing their pride and joy and have to at least get enough for their toy to pay off their loan.

If you are mechanically inclined, and know how to perform the types of routine maintenance that are quite frequently overlooked you can get into a fairly nice bike that has minor mechanical problems for considerably less than the price of a bike at a dealership. Knowledge is power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My plan was to get a 2013 or newer, but I probably won't go any newer than 2016 if age affects the price that much. As for being mechanically inclined, I'm trying to learn to maintain my own bike, YouTube helps, but actually getting my hands in the job is different. Nothing seems to go as planned. I adjusted my chain a couple of days ago and now my back end wobbles, so I've got to take it to a dealership so they can fix my mistake. I also need them to put in my rear break pads because I COULD NOT get those freaking things to fit. I don't know if I got the wrong kind or what, but they won't go on. Pistons all the way back, pads as open as I could get them, no dice. So frustrating. Deffinately got to find some maintenance classes to take, because teaching myself isn't really working out for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
True being mechanically inclined helps and saves lots on repair cost and maintenance fees I service my bike myself from Oil tires fuses everything

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That, and working on the bike myself felt really great, right up into the part where the problems started, lol. I could really get into getting greasy. It's satisfying when things aren't falling apart. I just need to learn.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
That, and working on the bike myself felt really great, right up into the part where the problems started, lol. I could really get into getting greasy. It's satisfying when things aren't falling apart. I just need to learn.
Wherever you are, there are motorcycle guys who have been waiting to hear those words...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm from Georgia. I plan to start trying to find some riding friends soon, but I need to replace my tires first, they're pretty low.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Used = have a mechanic check it out ( “I saw a video on YouTube on how to do it“ ... not that kind of mechanic)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never saw myself buying a Kawasaki, first ride on my 04 636 I was shocked, impressed, almost breathless. Couldn't believe it packed the power it has, long story short I handed my friend $2,000 when he wanted to sell it. Welcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice, that's a sweet deal. How many miles were on it?

And thanks strider, glad to be here. The 636 is gonna be my permabike, so I'll be hanging around for a while.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts

This would IMHO be a bad decision for some one starting out...... and not so much of a problem for someone who wanted to convert to a naked bike with strong mechanical skills. Either way, the price is considerably higher than I would be willing to pay, given the condition. Screams out that it may well have been stolen, or for some other reason has a salvage title -- if at all.

If you wanted to replace the plastics with OEM on this particular bike, it would cost far more than the bike is actually worth. Presuming the title is clear, the thing is worth more as parts than it is as a project. Wheels, frame, and motor would be near equal to the asking price as parts on eBay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I deffinately won't be getting a fixer upper, that just sounds like a great way to end up stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would caution you stay away from the 2019. We have two with bent and broken valves. Just doing research here on this forum. So far, I've learned (but not verified) 2019 is the first year Kawi made this bike meet EU and USA emission standards as well as changing valve shimming. This is not confirmed information. But since you're in the market do your research.

·
Director of Moderation
10,125 Posts
I would caution you stay away from the 2019. We have two with bent and broken valves. Just doing research here on this forum. So far, I've learned (but not verified) 2019 is the first year Kawi made this bike meet EU and USA emission standards as well as changing valve shimming. This is not confirmed information. But since you're in the market do your research.
I thought the engine was all the same as the 2013-2018 bikes. Do you have more info on those 2 with bent/broken valves? Like how many miles, were they street bikes or race bikes? So far I know of about 4-5 people who have been racing the 2019 models with no issue (all expert pace), but it's still early on since I don't think any of them has more than like 1500 miles on them yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts