Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone says to start small. Ok, i understand that beginners such as myself should learn with less power. But what happens when you want more? What happens when you learn how to ride and you are stuck with a bike that doesn't perform or look as well as you want it to? Who has money to buy a new bike every time you want to upgrade?

I just started riding less than a week ago. I have the motorcycle that you see to the left. A ninja zx6. No MSF course , just utube videos. And i'm doing fine. It seems like once you learn how to shift, its a piece of cake.

So again?? Why start less than 600 when you are going to want to upgrade?

My bike is beautiful.. I love the power.. And I'm totally satisfied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I just started riding in April. I bought a '93 Ex500, and took a course on 250s. Now that i have been riding a while, I like to think that i am ready for a ZX6R, but every once in a while I get a subtle reminder that I am still a novice.

The ex500 is very forgiving when I accidentally blip the throttle, or when I need to adjust my line in a corner, and I didn't have to fork out $750 or more after I dropped the 250 at the training centre. I would hate to see your face when you drop that beauty because you dropped the clutch and stalled the bike with both feet on the pegs in a parking lot. The fact that all true sportbikes are so finely tuned makes them very unforgiving to learners.

I'll probably buy a ZX for my third bike. I'm getting a new ninja 650 for next year. I also know that I paid $3100 (Canadian) for my bike, and will get about the same or even more when I sell it. Good luck with your new machine.

I hope your first few months are as enjoyable as mine have been.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
Because a smaller bike will generally enable you to become a better rider much more quickly. I'm sure you could ride a motogp bike down the road, but you certainly couldn't ride it well and would likely never be able to ride it well if that's all you had to ride - to a lesser extent I seriously doubt you can or soon will be able to ride your zx6 very well. You'll eventually learn on it, but you'd learn more quickly on something more forgiving I think. There's a world of difference between being able to shift and get yourself down the road and being able to ride well.

just my 2c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
I think the ZX6R is a perfect bike to learn on. It handles extremely well and as long as you respect the bike and don't try to go outside of your abilities too soon, its a perfect bike for a beginner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
Who has money to buy a new bike every time you want to upgrade?
Who has the money to keep fixing that nice expensive 1st bike when you drop it? :dowhat There are two types of riders, those that have crashed and those that will crash.

No MSF course , just utube videos
:banghead That's one sentence, you can't be serious? :cuckoo

It seems like once you learn how to shift, its a piece of cake.
That's why you start small, because you can't ride yet, you just don't know it.

------

How are you going for gear? Seeing as you're being educated by youtube, you prrobably think flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt is all the protective gear you need. Have you got a license to ride that bike or are you riding unlicensed? How about insurance, got full insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
i used to think the same way you did.... i found out the hard way why you start small. i even took the msf course and still found out the hard way. in my opinion you're asking for trouble, but best of luck and i hope i'm wrong. ride safe and be careful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone says to start small. Ok, i understand that beginners such as myself should learn with less power. But what happens when you want more? What happens when you learn how to ride and you are stuck with a bike that doesn't perform or look as well as you want it to? Who has money to buy a new bike every time you want to upgrade?

I just started riding less than a week ago. I have the motorcycle that you see to the left. A ninja zx6. No MSF course , just utube videos. And i'm doing fine. It seems like once you learn how to shift, its a piece of cake.So again?? Why start less than 600 when you are going to want to upgrade?

My bike is beautiful.. I love the power.. And I'm totally satisfied.

If you think that all there is to riding a bike is changing gear, you are in for a big shock m8.I've been riding bikes for 35 years and theres never 2 days the same, to say it's a piece of cake says you aint gonna last long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Go ride some twisties with some good riders and see if you still think the same way when you are done. Any moron can ride a bike, especially in a straight line. Riding well involves being able to handle the bike and yourself in all situations, eg. cornering, stopping quickly and NOT doing a stoppie, making tight u-turns without dropping the bike and so on. If you actually think you are doing well, go take the MSF course and see if you learn anything. I bet you will and alot. Not all 600s make good starter bikes, especially the higher powered and better handling ones. They can be very unforgiving when you least expect it and will chew you up and spit you down the road in the blink of an eye. Smaller cc bikes are more forgiving and make the learning process much faster and you will actually learn alot more about good riding than on some of the 600s out there. Without trying to be a total ass, you seem to me to be the type that is going to be posting up a crash thread in the not-so-distant future, claiming you hit some sand or gravel or some other BS excuse, not willing to blame the accident on yourself due to your lack of skill and total over confidence. I hope that doesn't happen to you tho, I hope you are one of the exceptions that can get away with it. Be safe, take an MSF class and ride smart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
You can't be serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
not all people learn at the same rate or are cowardinated enough to use both hands n feet like it takes on a bike.. some people will buy n sell a bike in a week or month cause its not for them.

my addvice to you is not to get to comfortable to quik cause thats when acciedents happen!

all the best,
chadmanbrown :cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who has the money to keep fixing that nice expensive 1st bike when you drop it? :dowhat There are two types of riders, those that have crashed and those that will crash.



:banghead That's one sentence, you can't be serious? :cuckoo



That's why you start small, because you can't ride yet, you just don't know it.

------

How are you going for gear? Seeing as you're being educated by youtube, you prrobably think flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt is all the protective gear you need. Have you got a license to ride that bike or are you riding unlicensed? How about insurance, got full insurance.
Yes I have full coverage insurance. No i don't have my cy endorsemnt yet because i just got the bike not even a week ago and i'm still learning how to ride. I will be taking it soon. As far as gear, no I don't think riding without protection is ok. That is my next step.

And yeah... without ever being on a motorcycle, YOU TUBE got me home from the dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go ride some twisties with some good riders and see if you still think the same way when you are done. Any moron can ride a bike, especially in a straight line. Riding well involves being able to handle the bike and yourself in all situations, eg. cornering, stopping quickly and NOT doing a stoppie, making tight u-turns without dropping the bike and so on. If you actually think you are doing well, go take the MSF course and see if you learn anything. I bet you will and alot. Not all 600s make good starter bikes, especially the higher powered and better handling ones. They can be very unforgiving when you least expect it and will chew you up and spit you down the road in the blink of an eye. Smaller cc bikes are more forgiving and make the learning process much faster and you will actually learn alot more about good riding than on some of the 600s out there. Without trying to be a total ass, you seem to me to be the type that is going to be posting up a crash thread in the not-so-distant future, claiming you hit some sand or gravel or some other BS excuse, not willing to blame the accident on yourself due to your lack of skill and total over confidence. I hope that doesn't happen to you tho, I hope you are one of the exceptions that can get away with it. Be safe, take an MSF class and ride smart.
My whole thing is..........

How long does it actually take to learn how to ride a bike. As time goes by you are going to get used to your bike just like any other vehicle. You become one with your vehicle because you know how it responds to you.

Am I doing something wrong? Because it seems like you all are making it seem like riding is soooo damn hard. Is my coordination that much better than most peoples'?

Now i'm not saying that i can take my ass on a track and start riding at 100 mph.. NO.. i'm not saying that at all. But I can upshift and downshift fairly well for street riding. And I get better everyday. If i can do this on a 599 rand invest in some sliders, then why should i have to start on a 250 ?

And I live in the city so there are no winding roads and shit like that. When I come across those, I will slow my bike down and respect the fact that I have not ran into a situation like this before. I won't be the idiot going around a winding road at 60mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
Will your insurance cover you if you damage it and you have no endorsement? :dowhat

So you're riding unlicensed.

And you have no gear.

And can't understand why people say to start small.

- Damn, I don't like stereotyping, and I hope you prove me wrong. :banghead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
My whole thing is..........

How long does it actually take to learn how to ride a bike. As time goes by you are going to get used to your bike just like any other vehicle. You become one with your vehicle because you know how it responds to you.

Am I doing something wrong? Because it seems like you all are making it seem like riding is soooo damn hard. Is my coordination that much better than most peoples'?

Now i'm not saying that i can take my ass on a track and start riding at 100 mph.. NO.. i'm not saying that at all. But I can upshift and downshift fairly well for street riding. And I get better everyday. If i can do this on a 599 rand invest in some sliders, then why should i have to start on a 250 ?

And I live in the city so there are no winding roads and shit like that. When I come across those, I will slow my bike down and respect the fact that I have not ran into a situation like this before. I won't be the idiot going around a winding road at 60mph.

Say no more. You can't win this argument with experienced riders, and you shouldn't, but you'll keep debating your point anyway.

Do this:

> stop posting in this thread now
> come back to this thread in about 2 -3 years
> read what you said 2 - 3 years ago
> reassess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
My whole thing is..........

How long does it actually take to learn how to ride a bike. As time goes by you are going to get used to your bike just like any other vehicle. You become one with your vehicle because you know how it responds to you.

Am I doing something wrong? Because it seems like you all are making it seem like riding is soooo damn hard. Is my coordination that much better than most peoples'?

Now i'm not saying that i can take my ass on a track and start riding at 100 mph.. NO.. i'm not saying that at all. But I can upshift and downshift fairly well for street riding. And I get better everyday. If i can do this on a 599 rand invest in some sliders, then why should i have to start on a 250 ?

And I live in the city so there are no winding roads and shit like that. When I come across those, I will slow my bike down and respect the fact that I have not ran into a situation like this before. I won't be the idiot going around a winding road at 60mph.
You're inexperienced so you wont understand, I don't expect you to understand, but you should listen to those that have been there done that. They know, you don't. You never stop learning on a bike, they day you think you know it all, you're dead.

If you live in the city, why do you need a cutting edge sport bike? In a city, a 250 would have enough performance :dunno

There's no doubt if you're smart, you'll probably do ok. But you're going to learn slower than if you started off small.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
This thread can't be real! No one it that fu*king stupid?

Shifting and riding straight is a small part of riding a sport bike.

I suppose you could watch a neurosurgeon do a brain operation on your tube and you would be a pro in less than a week.

It takes time to build skills and train your brain how to respond when the bike starts to slide, car pull out in front or you or you go to hot into a corner or get cut off. I am not even mentioning street survival skill.

Do yourself a favor and take a class, get your licence and sdo a couple track days as no wants read you went down and got hurt.

I have been riding and racing for over 25 years and I still manage to lean new things and every racing school and track day I attend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're inexperienced so you wont understand, I don't expect you to understand, but you should listen to those that have been there done that. They know, you don't. You never stop learning on a bike, they day you think you know it all, you're dead.

If you live in the city, why do you need a cutting edge sport bike? In a city, a 250 would have enough performance :dunno

There's no doubt if you're smart, you'll probably do ok. But you're going to learn slower than if you started off small.
Why would i need a cutting edge sports bike? Have you looked at how the smaller bikes look? Horrible. I have a thing for style, I'm sorry. I have a yamaha morphous scooter, and its a 250. And it looks way better than the bullshit small bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Dude you are a full fledged squid. Sell your bike before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Size does not mean shit. Have you ever seen the 125 and 250 GP bikes?

Shit let's meet at a track day and I will shred you on my small ass GS500 track bike.

Dude do not be such a dumb ass. Take the advice the people with experience are giving you.

If you are such a bad ass and can ride, than start racing tomorrow and you to can be the next Rossi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Say no more. You can't win this argument with experienced riders, and you shouldn't, but you'll keep debating your point anyway.

Do this:

> stop posting in this thread now
> come back to this thread in about 2 -3 years
> read what you said 2 - 3 years ago
> reassess
You know... I wasn't writing in this thread to be on the defensive end. I asked a question and instead of answers i get all of this lip from everybody. No i'm not going to stop posting in this thread unless you are an administrator and you are disabling me from using this forum.

Its not a point i'm trying to "debate." I'm simply saying that I am not having any problems so far as far as starting out on a 600. If I dont' have any problems now, then I can only get better from here. Right?? Or at least thats what someone else said in the forum... "You never stop learning" .. Thats all i'm trying to say.

Unfortunately, I dont' know what "forgiving"means far as motorcycle language goes. So i can't tell you if my bike is or not. But I've been riding on the freeway, on streets, up and down my block and I have not dropped it, fell off of it, or even felt like i was going to throw myself over the handle bars.
 
1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Top