Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all; there are no wrong answers. I got a ride from my dad on the back of a Vespa scooter when I was probably 6 or 7 years old. That was a moment welded into my being. The sensation of motion and speed was tremendous. When he retired from the USAF in 1971 and bought 67 acres of land, my brothers bought trail bikes and I stole rides whenever I could.

Never looked back.

·
Registered
710 Posts
As far back as I can remember motorcycles have always spoken to me. Had the occasional ride on a neighbours dirt bike as a kid (XR75, I think it was) and then a friend took me for a ride on his street bike when I was 15 or 16. It scared the hell out of me but made me want my own bike. I'm now 53 and have never been a passenger on a bike since, but have owned a street bike almost continuously since my first one at 17.

I took up motocross at 39 after a divorce and now also ride offroad regularly as well. I'd like to get back into MX but money for a bike is tight at the moment and there are no decent tracks close to me, making it pretty time prohibitive as well. I have a small scale track with small jumps and obstacles on our acreage, but it isn't the same as hitting a big tabletop jump pinned in 3rd or nailing a big set of whoops on a full size track.

The saying "Four wheels move the body, but two wheels move the soul" is how I feel about them. They satisfy something deeply spiritual in me and I will be riding until I can no longer throw a leg over a bike and hold it up under my own power.

Mark

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I always wanted to be a pilot. Long story but it didn't happen the way I wanted (Air Force), and it's pretty expensive funding it yourself. IMHO riding a motorcycle is the closest thing to flying on the road. You also need to have a pilot mind-set or you won't last long. Something that was drummed into me for a long time was it's probably the most risky thing you can do on the road and hence why I learned to ride a lot later in life (thirties) than most. I am always seeking to up-skill and attend track and road training every year. It has kept me alive and I've influenced other riders to do the same and seen the difference it makes in their riding. I've also learned that seat time means nothing - have met older riders who have made it to where they are through pure luck (and should be buying lottery tickets). It's a great hobby, and I've made some amazing friendships through it. One thing I've noticed is because we're essentially "naked" on a bike (i.e. no protection in a crash) we're more likely to help one and other and therefore bond as a result. The WAVE is a perfect example of this...

And yes, there is a spiritual aspect to riding. You have to concentrate on the here and now and leave your troubles behind. Very therapeutic.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
because;
I enjoy the peace and solitude
I enjoy the skills required to ride well, the feeling of accomplishment when you execute it all correctly
and in part I do it to relieve stress and distance myself from all the world full of fucking morons and idiots

·
Registered
2018 z900rs, 2021 cb1000r, 2013 zx6r
13 Posts
You could pretty much copy and paste Sanctuary's post here for mine as well. I grew up wanting to fly and dreaming of being a fighter jet pilot and for me a motorcycle is the closest I'll get to that. I had a mini bike when I was 5 and then a 3spd honda when I was 11 to learn how to shift and rode some dirtbikes as a teen but didn't get my license until I was 40. My dad always rode and as a kid he would take me all the time on the back and I loved it, but he didn't want me getting my license when I was 16 because he had seen some buddies lose their lives over the years. I put riding out of my mind for a long time but I would always think about it but I never really had the extra funds to put towards it, but when my 40th birthday was coming I told myself I needed to get a bike and I did. For me it has been the best way to forget about everything, like others said in order to ride you need to use all your senses and hands/feet and the preoccupation of the mind doesn't really leave any room to think about other stuff. Like Sanctuary posted I also started going to track this year and it has been such an amazing experience, that's why I bought my zx6. The friendship and camaraderie that came along was such an unexpected bonus that it is one of my favourite aspects of riding too, second only to that rush of opening the throttle, hearing the engine and feeling all your insignificant issues disappear behind you.

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yeah people think I'm weird, I will always reach for the bike keys for a trip over the car keys - even though I have to suit up etc. I just enjoy riding more (even for the mundane trips).

Reactions: misnblu and RJ2112

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah people think I'm weird, I will always reach for the bike keys for a trip over the car keys - even though I have to suit up etc. I just enjoy riding more (even for the mundane trips).
I used to take any excuse to make a trip by motorcycle rather than a box with more wheels ….

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I used to take any excuse to make a trip by motorcycle rather than a box with more wheels ….
The silly thing is I have some really cool things to drive with four wheels (Corvette, 370Z) but they just don't do it for me like a bike does.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I only ride for fun..........

I never commute on the bike or even drive it around town for any reason whatsoever........ this has been the norm for me for atleast a decade or more now

if I go through the work and effort to get all my gear on and wiggle the bike out it is going to be an all day event, 300-500 miles is pretty common and a handful of Sundays it will end up topping 700 miles when out for my just for fun rides......

I almost never ride any day of the week sans Sunday anymore.......... although there used to be a time when I did ride the bike everyday for everything, hell there were two years straight all I had was a motorcycle to ride.... summer, winter it didn't matter- it had to be the bike to go anyplace

My patience for people and tolerance of idiots is not significant enough to tolerate morons any longer and my willingness to spend 20 minutes or more to suit up and get the bike out just to run somewhere I would have already gotten to (and sometimes back from) in a cage has long since been exhausted

My 4wheels or more ; 2 wheels ratio used to be less than..... 4 [email protected] 1 mile: 2 wheels @ 10 miles or more
(2012 it was 700 total miles in a cage, more than 17,500 miles on the motorcycle and that was typical for lots of years going all the way back to the early 80's............. 2021 it was 3800 miles in a cage, only 4900 miles on the motorcycle)
now with the longer work commute on top of everything else...... that ratio is getting far too close to 1:1

Reactions: Rich T

·
Registered
2 wheels. 1 engine. Squid pilot😂
11 Posts
I ride because the skill it takes to ride a bike is far higher than in a car.
You become a part of the machine ever manipulating the machine to your will to go where you want it.

It's physically exhausting if done correctly and although the same can be said for a highly modified car on track the risk factor for the bike far exceeds that of a slide out in a car. 😳

After having experienced a one day track school followed immediately with 2 track days I've come to the conclusion this is the way to ride a sport bike.
It's addicting like so many other sports Ive done but learning to ride properly and doing so on the track is soooo rewarding compared to other sports.

Street riding is still fun but put putting around on something that demands to be wrung out is the way to go. 😁

Speaking of 'flying' or the sensation of it I remember on my first bike the '73 KZ400 I was a complete squid on we did some magic mushrooms at a party we had, yeah those were the daze 😂, me and a buddy decided to head to the Beach arcade to play some foosball.

We got on the bikes, ran along the beach on Hwy90, and that sensation of flying was feeling so real because of the shrooms we'd taken earlier. 🤪
It was night so you can imagine how the mind ran while zipping along in shorts, a tee, and flip flops while flying. 😂🤦😬

It's something I'll never forget and confirms you really can fly on your bike. 👍
Nobody was harmed in any way and we did win every game against everybody that night at foosball. 👏👏

We all grow up and learn from the past so now I'm more concerned with lap times and proper technique than my previous life would suggest. 👍🤙

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ride because in the moment, everything else goes away. It's just you, and your bike. A proper bike becomes like an extension of your body, that with skill, can be manipulated to do amazing things.

All my stress, worries, and other bullshit goes away. I give the throttle a twist and the bike responds. Wind blowing past you, the sound of the exhaust, all the different sights and (sometimes) sounds. The adrenaline rush from pushing your limits. It all comes together

I live for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts