Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Well I have an old 2002 ZX6R with 50,000 miles. I've done all my oil changes since I bought her. For the first 30,000 miles I never had trouble changing my oil or method. But for the past few years whenever I change the oil, the oil pressure light stays on after turning on my bike.

Now I simply burp it by loosening the oil filter while the bike is on and then it goes off immediately. But today I loosened the oil filter and about a quart just spilled out. I was careless and didint pay attention to the spill until it was too late. Now I have to go buy another quart.

So the question is, is there a reason as to why this happens or how to prevent it in the future? Yes I prime my oil filter before putting it on.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,185 Posts
I'd guess the check valve in the oil tube pick up has failed. The pump is well above the level of the oil and has to suck it up from the pan, just like drawing liquid up through a straw. If there is a bubble of air in the path, the pump can't draw enough of a vacuum against that bubble to pull up the oil. Air can compress, or expand. Liquids with high surface tension/viscosity can stick to themselves quite well. As long as there is no break in the chain the pump can move a ton of oil very quickly.

The oiling system on these things is a lot more complicated than you'd think. Since oil cannot compress, it can only be pumped through small spaces up to a certain pressure. The pressure is sort of an absolute limit.... the amount of oil that has to move to make that pressure changes with temperature and the viscosity of the oil.

Our motors can spin so fast there's no way for the oil to be forced through the bearings and all the other tiny spaces it should be applied. There's a relief valve in the pump assembly that limits the pressure the oil can be raised to by the pump. Anything over that amount gets dumped back into the oil pan for another trip through the pump, so the filter isn't destroyed and the debris gums up the rest of the motor.

I think that relief valve may also act as the check valve to keep the 'head' of oil for the pump. If it's clogged so it doesn't completely seal, gravity woudl pull the oil back to the pan, and create that bubble of air.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
You asked a question.
Pretty sure got the correct answer.

Why not be polite, give a nice new to the forum thread with pictures.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
You asked a question.
Pretty sure got the correct answer.

Why not be polite, give a nice new to the forum thread with pictures.
I feel ya.... but remember not everyone likes to socialize lol. I'm ok with helping someone who asks a nicely written question as their first and only post if it helps them get back out riding and off this forum for the day. ;)

It's the dickbags that post the same question 3 times in 3 threads and never return that grind my gears. :angry:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Both of my Kawi's do this. One is a 08 zx6 and the other a 15 Ninja 1000. If my zx6 sits long enough between track days I have to burp it again. That bike has the oil filter in the absolute worst location as a burp results in oil going on the motor more times than not. Maybe I'll pull the pan this winter and check based on what RJ said

·
Registered
14,185 Posts
Both of my Kawi's do this. One is a 08 zx6 and the other a 15 Ninja 1000. If my zx6 sits long enough between track days I have to burp it again. That bike has the oil filter in the absolute worst location as a burp results in oil going on the motor more times than not. Maybe I'll pull the pan this winter and check based on what RJ said
My '09 has needed to be burped, 3 times. If the filter is off the bike and air can enter it doesn't take long to get that air bubble.

Make sure that there isn't any of the old gasket stuck to the block. Clean, and flat are the biggest concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys if I came off as rude, I' m new to this forum and did not mean sound like an ass. I was just a little frustrated yesterday, but believe me I' m grateful for any help I get and will try help out others with the little I know.

I always thought that this problem only happened to older bikes like mine but am glad to know I'am not the only one.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
No problem. Hope that helped.

If you do stick around just wait you will see many posts like #PowerGroove said.

And there are many new to forums and just don't know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts