Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a little over 4K miles on my bike and both my front and rear brakes squeek. They are not worn. I took my bike in for my 4K service and mentioned it. They told me to ride the brake until it goes away :dowhat

Anyone else have this problem? If so, did the dealership replace your pads under warranty?

I know that brake pads are consumables but with them constanly squeeking already I think I have a case for a warranty replacement. I will go get new pads if necessary but I won't like it...

·
Registered
590 Posts
there could be a number of reasons why they are sqeaking. Rust could have formed on the rotors, the something could be wrong with the pads, something could have gotten stuck between the pad and rotor, the reason could even be with the caliper. My suggestion is to find the root of the problem even if that means taking it to another garage for another opinion but i WOULDN'T just ride the brakes until it goes away. You could be doing further damage to the rotors, calipers or pads.

If you feel up to the task i would also suggest taking apart the brakes and servicing them. Lube the sliders and brackets, deglaze the rotors and pads as well as bleed and replace the brake fluid as nessesary (the brake fluid supprisingly in our ninja's get dirty and brake down fast). When i changed my pads for the first time the fluid was discusting.

·
Registered
764 Posts
my rear started squeeking from time to time at 3200 miles.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
mine get a squeek when she does not get a ride for a week or so,but i ride it to work 5 to 6 days a week and does not squeek

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine is a '57' plate bike and the front brake squeeks at very very slow speeds when Im only very light on the front brake. Nothing to worry about braking over 3mph and shes silent.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When i changed my pads for the first time the fluid was discusting.
Thanks Chris. I did notice that the brake fluid seems a little dark for the time it's been in there. I think I'll take your advice and get someone else to check it out.

·
Registered
992 Posts
if not ridin often they tend to squeak get a can of air spray it all over the brakes there could be little pieces of dirt in there too

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks Chris. I did notice that the brake fluid seems a little dark for the time it's been in there. I think I'll take your advice and get someone else to check it out.
No problems, let me know what ends up happening.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Could be some dirt caught in between, probably take it to someone to check it out. Mine don't squeek, however my bike only has about 180km on it. Oh goody something for me to look forward to. . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem aswell. I changed my discs with new ones ( wavy ) and after 200km my wheels started to squeak and it only happens when i move the bike by hand and low speeds, something like 10-15kmh. I thought it was from the ball bearings from the wheels...but both? front and rear sound the same and i only changed the front discs.

I checked the wheels, the ballbearings for every wheel...nothing. Then I cleaned the calipers and the pads...from then on my bike stopped squeaking.

This started when I was on bike 2-3 times on heavy raining.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If you're riding the brake out too long before you come to a stop, you will develop a sort of 'film' on your discs. A good cleaning should take the problem away

·
Registered
29 Posts
good advice clean up the disc`s,if youve got the cash bin the pads standard ones are crap! put some good quality fluid in won`t stop squeaks,but will improve brakes,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts