Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding a few of my friends bikes...so far an R1, zx-9. zx-14, busa. They are all alot lower and comfortable than my 2011 zx6r. I don't THINK any of them lowered the bikes. Why is it 600s are higher and if I buy the lowering links and lower my 6 how will it affect my ride?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I have absolutely no facts to offer you but the ONE liter bike I was on didnt feel any lower than my 600. I would guess they lowered their bikes. If where you live is anything like Charlotte then 90percent of the bikes are lowered.

Unless you are extremely short and you are afraid you cant touch, then I would suggest against lowering the bike. Thats my personal preference because I ride mostly moutain roads and when you lower the bike you will screw with the geometry that some very smart individuals purposely designed.

If you dont ride in the twisties and you are just a casual rider around town then go ahead and lower it. It wont really effect you riding in a straight line.

Someone else can chime in with science and better facts and studies than I can.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
well... ZX9... old and heavy.. so that's understandable. ZX14? It's HUGE... so obviously heavier. the motor alone is more than twice the size.

Most modern bikes aren't much different when it comes down to weight between a 600 and a 1000 anymore. Ride height wise... Should be pretty close to the same as well.. but from my experience 1k's are a bit more comfortable overall (in my opinion) and aren't quite as aggressive in the seating position.

·
Administrator
8,182 Posts
Why is it 600s are higher and if I buy the lowering links and lower my 6 how will it affect my ride?
So if you consider the geometry specs on the bikes that you rode:

2011 ZX6R has 24 degrees of rake and 4.1 inches of trail with a seat height of 32.1 inches.

The newer ZX14 has 23 degrees of rake and 3.7 inches of trail with a 31.5 inch seat height.

And I mean, rake/trail, seat height, weight, these are all things that effect what you are perceiving. Chassis design, suspension, and motor size (to include design and weight) will effect this as well. The way a motor sits into a frame will effect the chassis design, which will determine a lot of other things such as the geometry of the bike and even the seat and sitting dimensions.

One thing you have to keep in mind is the ZX14 is going to be engineered differently just by nature of its power and purpose (usually drag racing). Heavier bike, lower to the ground, metric shit tons of horsepower bla bla bla... They are designed to sit low to the ground for aerodynamics, and to haul ass in a straight line. They will corner, of course, but if you try to put one on a twisty road, you'll see that it handles the task with much less prowess than a 600, which is designed to be flicked around on a curvy course.

So the answer to your question is both simple and complicated. You can ride 15 different 600s and find that they all feel taller or shorter. My Yamaha isn't actually that much taller than my ZX6R but it has a wider seat which bows the legs out more. It just depends on the design of the bike.

Edit: Also, buying lowering links will effect the handling of the bike. But if you aren't racing or aren't an advanced level rider, you may not notice. I would suggest first having your suspension set up for your weight as if it is too stiff, softening it and setting the sag may actually help in your reach.

If that doesn't work, then consider lowering links.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not that I have a problem with my feet touching the ground on my stock 6 it's just the others were much more comfortable. I was able to lean the R1 so the height didn't affect that much. I'm a fairly rider and I'm pretty good from what I hear. I say that caustiously b/c everyone online can be Rossi if they choose to type that. But I can get my knee down when turning to the right. Haven't managed to be able to do it going to the left yet. Have about 4200miles riding experience.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I thought I heard somewhere that the R6 and Daytona 675 had the tallest ride height but I could be wrong. I would think that if you're concerned with comfort you'd look into a more sport touring type bike. At least maybe a new seat, adjustable rearsets and some different clip-ons might help make the bike more comfortable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could just be the way you fit on bike my bike has been lowered and you take a turn fast it grinds parts. I raised it back up. You can get over moore comfortanly in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts