Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a little white smoke coming out of my exaust does anyone know how to fix this or know what is causing this

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Head gasket problems can cause this on warmup, but it's probably nothing that drastic. When does it occur?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had just got done changing out my oil and i started it up i thought that maybe i over filled the case with to much oil but it was under the full line

·
Registered
590 Posts
is there a sweet smell to the exhaust? if there is then that means your head gasket is leaking and you are burning coolant.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
white is water (condensation) or coolant. blue is oil. black means too damn much fuel.

Reactions: dallas1

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
How do your oil and coolant caps look?

^ That was my oil cap when I was getting water in the oil, lucky for me it wasn't coolant. I had a leaky cam cover gasket that was somehow letting moisture in. :dowhat

If you get milky crud in your oil then water is mixing with it, if you get milky crud in your coolant then oil is mixing with it. This is not a good thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You need to establish if it is water vapour or smoke - best way to tell is to hold something at the end of the exhaust like a mirror or tin tray - if it condenses to water droplets then it is just moisture and nothing to worry about, it normally occurs during the warm up of the engine (as long as it disappears when the engine has warmed up)

If it doesn't condense then it is probably burnt oil, slightly more worrying, oil is either getting past the piston rings or into the combustion chamber via the head gasket....

What oil did you put in it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 for trying the mirror test. I live in Wisconsin, and mornings are cold most of the time. There will always be white smoke aka condensation coming out shortly after startup. Unless you own my old geo metro, then its all white and blue smoke lol. I would assume if it comes out RIGHT away, then it could be smoke, but if it starts after like 10 or so seconds, then most likely water vapor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have to agree with mine_us_3...mine blows white "steam" shortly after start up until the temp hits 110-115 degrees. I actually get water coming out of the exhaust tip as well.

P.S. Does anyone think that might be a little excessive for condensation in the exhaust?!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I have to agree with mine_us_3...mine blows white "steam" shortly after start up until the temp hits 110-115 degrees. I actually get water coming out of the exhaust tip as well.

P.S. Does anyone think that might be a little excessive for condensation in the exhaust?!
Not at all. some of the cars at work will blow water for several minutes...enough to leave a puddle worthy of mopping.

Basically, as your exhaust cools water condenses inside, and (if theres enough) it can puddle up at the low points. it takes a little while to heat it up to the point that it evaporates, and blow it all out. It's normal, and nothing to be concerned with.

Plus, on top of that, proper combustion turns hc and o2 into co and h2o, so you're going to have some water in your exhaust no matter what you do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts