Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts
Its just down to your own personal preference. I have ALWAYS loved the feel of full length levers so I'd never buy shorties myself, but a lot of guys swear by them.

I was thinking similar and am unsure which way to go. I pick my bike up in just under two weeks and have purchased a set of ASV long levers. I'm still able to return them as long as they're not fitted to the bike and was wondering about the stability benefit when still having a couple fingers on the bar.
Especially under fast take off, front end coming up etc?
I love my ASV shorties. I use two fingers on the brake and 3 fingers on the clutch.

Do you feel having the remaining fingers on the bar gives you more stability when accelerating hard?
I have always only used two fingers on the brake side, even with OEM lever. On the clutch side I don't really remember much difference as far as stability, but it's been a long time since I used the full length OEM lever, and I also do a lot of clutchless upshifting and downshifting. It did take a day or so to get used to the shorter clutch lever though. Now it just feels normal to me.

I have always only used two fingers on the brake side, even with OEM lever. On the clutch side I don't really remember much difference as far as stability, but it's been a long time since I used the full length OEM lever, and I also do a lot of clutchless upshifting and downshifting. It did take a day or so to get used to the shorter clutch lever though. Now it just feels normal to me.
Thanks, I think I'm going to swap mine for the shorties.
My natural instinct when recently doing my training/test and my recent test drive was to grab the levers with a couple of fingers, thinking back just over 10 years when I rode a 125 for a couple of years I think it was the same.

My bike has cheap Chinese levers so want to get them swapped over at the earliest opportunity!

Sent from my SM-A805F using Tapatalk

I'm sure I prefer a long lever for the clutch, as I end up in commuting stop and go traffic on a fairly regular basis. Easier to reduce force than it is to increase it. The longer lever allows me to use the tip when I have to do a lot of lever holding against the force of the clutch springs.

Being 'old school' and having ridden bikes with drum front and rear brakes.... I prefer the mechanical advantage regardless of necessity. Better to have it and not need it, than vice versa.

Adjustable length ones can be nice!

Not to jack that discussion, but does anyone know the lever options for the latest gen ZX6R?

A lot of places say this lever fits maybe 07-19+ or something like that, but I've done some checking and the levers on the latest model are in fact different with the adjustable clutch lever at least.
I've only found these brands to have a 19+ specific set:
-Hotbodies
-ASV
-Pazzo

Super limited scope... I bought the hotbodies ones through my local performance shop, and he said if they're not up to snuff we can send them back. Come to hear after ordering them that they are basically ebay levers with a different logo etched on, kinda bummed.
I got them in, and the quality looks.... decent. The typical signs of a cheap ebay lever are actually not present. They are assembled with grease, the bushing for the master cylinder pin isn't a crappy tolerance, and the machining looks decent. Came with scratches though, screws holding the parts together have mishapen hex holes from the factory, looks like lock nuts aren't tightened down all the way, and setting 6 on the clutch lever doesn't seat correctly.

Kinda bummed, thinking Im just gonna screw this and get ASVs.

Anyone have experience with hotbodies levers?

-Mike

Kinda bummed, thinking Im just gonna screw this and get ASVs.
That would be my recommendation. I've had my ASV's for a few years now, and I still love them.

That would be my recommendation. I've had my ASV's for a few years now, and I still love them.
I wanted the Vortex V3 levers, I trust vortex stuff more, but of course it was mis labeled and does NOT actually fit the latest gen.... So every other lever online that just lists it as fitting is not a fit. I think I wll get them on the bike when I get it back from the shop and at least take it for a spin after making sure everything is safe. Then judge from there. Who knows, they might actually be not bad when in use.

-Mike

Yea, none of the parts web sites I use show anything for the 2020 models yet, so I can't even compare the parts to other year models.

Yeah, my choice for the Priller was between ASV's and CRG's. Eventually went with the CRG's because I prefer the top adjusters to the rolly wheels on the ASV's. Still really miss my MSM levers on the 636...

Reactions: Strider
Yep I agree with all of you guys. Took the 'hotbodies' levers back and got my money back. Stock levers feel better than those too. The levers just didn't sit right with me.

I think I will opt for the ASV F3 lever set for this bike. They've got the 19+ lever set and I think that will be my ticket. Torn between shorties and normal length though... I tried those crappy shorties for a day, and maybe they were just that, crappy shorties, but I was a little unhappy with the brake pull.

I almost always just use a 2-finger pull on the brake lever, and with the stock lever it feels great, but with those cheap levers, the pull felt... mushy? Not actually weaker, and I understand that a short lever obviously provides less leverage, but the consistency of the brake pressure felt all wrong. No initial bite, with the actual hard braking power requiring exponentially harder grip. It just felt like it wasn't ready to go at a moment's notice, you know?

Plus those crap levers had terrible hardware. So bad that my MIP tools wouldn't even fit in most of the screws, not because they were the wrong size, but because the literal hex shaped hole was misshapen enough to prevent any driver of any size from working. Total BS. And the adjustable lever length mechanism felt real bad under my gloves too. Would have been worth it for less than half the cost, but that is not how I am building up this bike.

May stick with the stock levers a bit longer though, they are not bad at all. Maybe I could use that cash and get a radiator protector...

-Mike

I think I will opt for the ASV F3 lever set for this bike. They've got the 19+ lever set and I think that will be my ticket. Torn between shorties and normal length though... I tried those crappy shorties for a day, and maybe they were just that, crappy shorties, but I was a little unhappy with the brake pull.

I almost always just use a 2-finger pull on the brake lever, and with the stock lever it feels great, but with those cheap levers, the pull felt... mushy? Not actually weaker, and I understand that a short lever obviously provides less leverage, but the consistency of the brake pressure felt all wrong. No initial bite, with the actual hard braking power requiring exponentially harder grip. It just felt like it wasn't ready to go at a moment's notice, you know?
You will probably like the ASV shorties. If you are using 2 fingers on the OEM lever, it should feel pretty much exactly the same as a quality shorty lever with the same 2 finger pull. The only way you would get more leverage from a longer lever is if you are placing the 2 fingers further toward the end of the lever.

I always used 2 fingers on the brake even with the OEM levers. I have the ASV C5's now, and the pull still feels great. I think the problem you were experiencing was due to the poor quality of those particular levers.

The clutch side did take a day or so for me to get used to the shorty, because I always used 4 fingers on the OEM clutch lever (so it just felt a little odd at first). Now with the C5's, I use 3 fingers on the clutch lever.

I usually have 3 to 4 fingers on the brake and clutch levers at all times and it seems I may be the only one in the world that rides like that lol!

You will probably like the ASV shorties. If you are using 2 fingers on the OEM lever, it should feel pretty much exactly the same as a quality shorty lever with the same 2 finger pull. The only way you would get more leverage from a longer lever is if you are placing the 2 fingers further toward the end of the lever.

I always used 2 fingers on the brake even with the OEM levers. I have the ASV C5's now, and the pull still feels great. I think the problem you were experiencing was due to the poor quality of those particular levers.

The clutch side did take a day or so for me to get used to the shorty, because I always used 4 fingers on the OEM clutch lever (so it just felt a little odd at first). Now with the C5's, I use 3 fingers on the clutch lever.
Yeah I think you are right, I think the ASV shorty levers will be a much better feeling lever than the cheapos. It sounds to me that you do almost exactly the same habits as me too.
By any chance do you know what the difference is between the F3 and C5 levers? I think the C5 is CNC'd and the F3 is cast... Why'd you choose the C5? Just curious. Got out to ride today and enjoyed my OEM levers more than those crap ones lol.

-Mike

Yeah I think you are right, I think the ASV shorty levers will be a much better feeling lever than the cheapos. It sounds to me that you do almost exactly the same habits as me too.
By any chance do you know what the difference is between the F3 and C5 levers? I think the C5 is CNC'd and the F3 is cast... Why'd you choose the C5? Just curious. Got out to ride today and enjoyed my OEM levers more than those crap ones lol.

-Mike
Yes, the main differences are that the F3 is forged, shiny finish, 3 year warranty, and the C5 is CNC machined, matte finish, 5 year warranty.

I mainly chose the C5 because I like the matte finish better and the longer warranty is nice as well.

Here is the comparison chart:

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.