Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Are your levers anodized? If so, how long does it last? Also, have you seen those 3d levers with the texture machined on them? If so, do you think it could be done on your levers?

ALSO, lol, what tolerances are you holding on the bushing area as far as diameter and thickness?
Yes my levers are all anodized. As for how long it lasts; as long as any quality anodizing? I am really not an expert on coatings however I have had the same levers on my bike for 6 years now and they still look brand new. Some colors fade faster than others, and I did have a bad batch from my coater at one point about 4 years ago but I simply replaced all of them. Generally speaking I would put my levers against any of the other big names in terms of the quality of anodizing.

I have seen those 3D levers and no, I have no intention of doing that with mine. To be honest, since the coating is slick and the definition is not deep I sincerely doubt that it does much for grip. That, and it is ugly as sin :p It simply looks like they missed an operation when machining and decided to leave it that way.

I have my 'premium' line in the works and one of the things that I am messing with is a grippier surface but that is still several months away at the earliest.

Tolerances are written to .010 but I have yet to see one over .005. Machines are hyper-accurate these days.

Yes my levers are all anodized. As for how long it lasts; as long as any quality anodizing? I am really not an expert on coatings however I have had the same levers on my bike for 6 years now and they still look brand new. Some colors fade faster than others, and I did have a bad batch from my coater at one point about 4 years ago but I simply replaced all of them. Generally speaking I would put my levers against any of the other big names in terms of the quality of anodizing.

I have seen those 3D levers and no, I have no intention of doing that with mine. To be honest, since the coating is slick and the definition is not deep I sincerely doubt that it does much for grip. That, and it is ugly as sin :p It simply looks like they missed an operation when machining and decided to leave it that way.

I have my 'premium' line in the works and one of the things that I am messing with is a grippier surface but that is still several months away at the earliest.

Tolerances are written to .010 but I have yet to see one over .005. Machines are hyper-accurate these days.
Well I can say the 3D doesn't necessarily do anything for grip as far as I can tell, maybe a little, but I have to say, I own some, and the 3D effect actually looks pretty good. It's obvious that it is a purposeful addition in production, not a byproduct of some production failure.

Anyways, could you elaborate somewhat on how you hope to accomplish a "grippier" surface on the levers in your premium line? Are those tolerances in english or metric? And are those for both the feature's positioning and diameters?

Hello Painfullyslo,

Green adjusters came in, soon to be on bike. Thanks for the time and trouble. I do appreciate the extra time you took to look the red adjusters. I was a little bummed but when the Green ones cam in , totally changed my mind, love them. With the customers service you provide I have no doubt you and MSM will be around for a while a Long While!! I will be looking for a pair of boots in the next month or so.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
PainfullySlo do you have an ETA on your premium line of levers?
Still in the R&D phase - working with prototypes now and determining some of the aesthetics. I wish that I could give you a hard and fast date but I simply can't at this time as there are too many variables. I would *hope* that it will be within the next 2-3 months but that could vary by a lot.

Well I can say the 3D doesn't necessarily do anything for grip as far as I can tell, maybe a little, but I have to say, I own some, and the 3D effect actually looks pretty good. It's obvious that it is a purposeful addition in production, not a byproduct of some production failure.

Anyways, could you elaborate somewhat on how you hope to accomplish a "grippier" surface on the levers in your premium line? Are those tolerances in english or metric? And are those for both the feature's positioning and diameters?
It has been my experience that all levers can offer less grip than I would like. My fingers slide around too easily on them, especially so in rain riding. The trick is finding the right level of texture to use to give what I am looking for. They do need to be able to move freely but just that little bit extra of feel when I want them to be firmly planted. I actually think we are pretty close to nailing that down.

I am certain that those 3d levers were intended to look that way, I simply stated that to me it looks as if it is unfinished. If you have ever seen machining done (and I am guessing you have by the fact that you are asking so many pointed questions. Makes me wonder why you want to know) it looks like a rough pass before you make a finish cut and it was left that way.

Those tolerances are in English, so thousandths of an inch. Ten thousandths is a pretty standard tolerance for non-critical part when providing a slip fit but again, none of these that I have QC inspected have ever gotten anywhere near that sloppy.

Hello Painfullyslo,

Green adjusters came in, soon to be on bike. Thanks for the time and trouble. I do appreciate the extra time you took to look the red adjusters. I was a little bummed but when the Green ones cam in , totally changed my mind, love them. With the customers service you provide I have no doubt you and MSM will be around for a while a Long While!! I will be looking for a pair of boots in the next month or so.
Glad that you are liking them bud. I am still bummed that I couldn't find you some really bright red adjusters. If I ever get around to making a run of them I will be sure to send you a pair.

As for the boots, awesome! let me know and I will do what I can do to help.

It has been my experience that all levers can offer less grip than I would like. My fingers slide around too easily on them, especially so in rain riding. The trick is finding the right level of texture to use to give what I am looking for. They do need to be able to move freely but just that little bit extra of feel when I want them to be firmly planted. I actually think we are pretty close to nailing that down.
So you're working on developing a texturing as a means of adding grip? I was curious because I thought maybe you were attempting to utilize a secondary material.

I am certain that those 3d levers were intended to look that way, I simply stated that to me it looks as if it is unfinished. If you have ever seen machining done (and I am guessing you have by the fact that you are asking so many pointed questions. Makes me wonder why you want to know) it looks like a rough pass before you make a finish cut and it was left that way.
I work as quality engineer at an automotive facility (primarily casting and machining aluminum engine components) so that's where the pointy-ness of my questions comes from, lol. I'm just a big fan of high quality, that's why I'm asking about the tolerancing.

Those tolerances are in English, so thousandths of an inch. Ten thousandths is a pretty standard tolerance for non-critical part when providing a slip fit but again, none of these that I have QC inspected have ever gotten anywhere near that sloppy.
We machine some bore diameters with total tolerances of 0.013 mm (0.0005 in) and surface locations with +/-0.025 mm (+/- 0.001 in) but they are critical features of the part, whereas the pivot point of the lever and the like are not so much.

Still in the R&D phase - working with prototypes now and determining some of the aesthetics. I wish that I could give you a hard and fast date but I simply can't at this time as there are too many variables. I would *hope* that it will be within the next 2-3 months but that could vary by a lot.
Alright thanks. I'll probably wait until those are released before I order some of your levers

Nice guide dude! You should put links to your products in as examples tho :bigthumb:

Reactions: THUG and kawijay
Got my levers that I ordered. Thank you! Once my clutch cable comes in the mail and I replace my clutch plates I'll try it out.

Thanks for fast shipping. I'll order the new brake lever soon.

It all depends on what type of riding you are doing. For everyday ASV shortie levers are perfect for both braking and clutch. Breaking because of using 1 finger to stop, that gives you better controlled and smoother stopping. Using 2 fingers for an emergency braking, in like using a fist full to grip ur front brake which will cause you to flip over your front wheel.
As for the clutch shorty lever gives you a better grip on your handle bars for better control. Good luck and ride safe.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
It all depends on what type of riding you are doing. For everyday ASV shortie levers are perfect for both braking and clutch. Breaking because of using 1 finger to stop, that gives you better controlled and smoother stopping. Using 2 fingers for an emergency braking, in like using a fist full to grip ur front brake which will cause you to flip over your front wheel.
As for the clutch shorty lever gives you a better grip on your handle bars for better control. Good luck and ride safe.
:coocoo

Not even going to touch this so I will just use your own quote. Good luck and ride safe...

:coocoo

Not even going to touch this so I will just use your own quote. Good luck and ride safe...
:rotfl

I've come and gone full circle with levers. Tried a bunch of shit, went back to stock. Never an issue with fitting them, super cheap to replace every time you go down. Unless you got little midget hands and need the clutch lever closer to the bar or you want a remote brake adjuster, no need.

Funny to see just about every single top Moto America team running stock levers as well...

I can't stand stock levers usually, but it really depends on the bike. I have midget hands apparently, cuz I can never get comfortable with them. Hence I had MSM levers on both bikes :D

But the deem150's explanation is hilariously wrong lol...I do use short levers on my R3, but that's only because of their position relative to the end of the clip-ons. Regular sized levers would stick out too much which would mean instant snap during a crash. The short levers on the R3 feel like regular levers on the ZX6R or most other bikes I've ridden.

OMG.........are really this dense?

You should sell your motorcycle and never ride again nor should you ever talk about anything motorcycle related again as you clearly have zero clue what the fuck you are talking about!

On top of your lack of knowledge you have some grammar issues......................Brake! not Break you fool.

super cheap to replace every time you go down.
Funny how prices differ around the globe. Here usually if you spot aftermarket levers on a bike, it probably has been down, because chinese levers cost 1/3 the price of OEM levers.
Or they have been replaced just for the looks.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.