Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Which levers are right for me? A quick guide.

25K views 75 replies 33 participants last post by  Strider 
Great OP!

There is one thing I would like to add about shorty levers. When you only use two fingers on the brake or clutch lever it allows you to keep your other two fingers around the grip. This is beneficial in that when you take all four fingers off the bar you are forced to put pressure on the bar on the backside of the clip on rather than gripping evenly around it. This in turns causes you to have to apply equal pressure on both the right and left clip-ons to not cause a "steering" input into the bike. By keeping two of your fingers wrapped around the grip you can naturally be more loose on the bike and less likely to add unneccesary "inputs" to the bike.

For someone who has always used all four fingers it takes a little getting used and for some maybe time to build up the hand strength to brake hard or pull a heavy clutch in with only two fingers. The benefit of the shorty levers is it short of forces you to adapt and use the two finger technique.
I was thinking similar and am unsure which way to go. I pick my bike up in just under two weeks and have purchased a set of ASV long levers. I'm still able to return them as long as they're not fitted to the bike and was wondering about the stability benefit when still having a couple fingers on the bar.
Especially under fast take off, front end coming up etc?

Sent from my SM-A805F using Tapatalk

I have always only used two fingers on the brake side, even with OEM lever. On the clutch side I don't really remember much difference as far as stability, but it's been a long time since I used the full length OEM lever, and I also do a lot of clutchless upshifting and downshifting. It did take a day or so to get used to the shorter clutch lever though. Now it just feels normal to me.
Thanks, I think I'm going to swap mine for the shorties.
My natural instinct when recently doing my training/test and my recent test drive was to grab the levers with a couple of fingers, thinking back just over 10 years when I rode a 125 for a couple of years I think it was the same.

My bike has cheap Chinese levers so want to get them swapped over at the earliest opportunity!

Sent from my SM-A805F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.