Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little bit of context first. I hit NJMP Lightening yesterday, first time this season. It was scorching hot, by the end of track day it was showing 91 degrees on my cars thermometer. Not many riders showed up on Monday, so we had 20mins sessions, which was welcomed of course. The problem for me was that my bike began overheating.
I use Motul's MoCOOL solution as coolant and Im pretty sure I mixed it in right proportion, but at the end of the session the thermometer on the bike would display HI, which is the sign of overheating I recon. The fan was running, I checked that first.
I am thinking of switching to Engine Ice hi-performance coolant. Has anybody used this, how is it holding up?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Overheating? What temp? Sounds like there might be air in the system. I would also change out the 1.1 cap to a 1.3 if you're having coolant loss (my 1.1 was horrible and kept leaking).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Overheating? What temp? Sounds like there might be air in the system. I would also change out the 1.1 cap to a 1.3 if you're having coolant loss (my 1.1 was horrible and kept leaking).
No way of telling the temp, the display simply showed HI. I know that it would still show 225F, so HI must be higher than that.
At the end of the session when I noticed the engine was overheated there was a pool of coolant in the belly. I suspect it began to overflow. Before the day began I checked the level in the overflow container it was just below full, but after that I guess it boiled over.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your choice of coolant cannot defy the laws of thermal dynamics.

Changing your coolant cannot make your engine run cooler. If your new coolant has a higher thermal mass it can take longer to heat up, which over the course of an hour or even a half hour can fool us in to thinking our bike is running cooler. But once it's at temp it will stay there longer (take longer to cool down).

Most times I see this question at the shop is when someone has a mostly caved in rad that is covered in road grime and bugs. Or they have 99% trail mix in there that hasn't been changed or monitored since it left the showroom floor. Coolant Brand A cannot make your bike run cooler than Coolant Brand B. Proper coolant, bigger rad, more airflow (speed), fan turning on earlier will make your bike run cooler.

If it's a hot day where everything is overheating, and your temp ran HI...............well then you're pretty much in the same boat as everyone else.

+1 on @jd41 bumping up the rad cap.

Chances are fresh fluid with no bubbles and a clean rad are the answer to your problem. Flush the system. Replace with new fresh coolant mix. Wash the rad (from the inside out) and spend some quality time with a dental pic to yank bugs and straighten fins.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any suggestion on the brand of 1.3 bar radiator cap? I read zx10r is 1.3 but does it fit zx6r?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I flushed and refill the coolant, Engine Ice this time. Took extra time to make sure bubbles were all gone before closing my brand new 1.3 bar cap.
Sunday is another track day, will be in the 90s or so they forecast. Should be a good test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts